[1.11.2] [UNSOLVED] Ore Generation

Bektor

Hi,

I'm currently wondering how I can disable ore generation for other mods to replace it with my own ore generation.

So actually something like GeoCraft which also disabled ore generation for other mods to replace it.

(Maybe that CoFHWorld does also something similiar, but not sure if this mod also replaced mod ore generation, but it does

this with Vanilla ones).

As of my knowledge I could achieve this with reflection using some mods config systems and ASM, thought I don't really

want to go that way.

My problem now is that I don't know how to do it. I know of the OreGenEvent.GenerateMinable event (this event

needs really some documentation) because

of CoFH World, but that's where my knowledge starts and where it ends.

Thought by just reading about all those cascading world generation, I don't think I can relly on this event to stop

mod ore generation.

This is how far I've got:

public class OreEventHandler {

private static HashSet<EventType> vanillaGenEvents = new HashSet<>();

static {
        vanillaGenEvents.add(EventType.ANDESITE);
        vanillaGenEvents.add(EventType.COAL);
        vanillaGenEvents.add(EventType.DIAMOND);
        vanillaGenEvents.add(EventType.DIORITE);
        vanillaGenEvents.add(EventType.DIRT);
        vanillaGenEvents.add(EventType.EMERALD);
        vanillaGenEvents.add(EventType.GOLD);
        vanillaGenEvents.add(EventType.GRANITE);
        vanillaGenEvents.add(EventType.GRAVEL);
        vanillaGenEvents.add(EventType.IRON);
        vanillaGenEvents.add(EventType.LAPIS);
        vanillaGenEvents.add(EventType.REDSTONE);
        vanillaGenEvents.add(EventType.QUARTZ);

vanillaGenEvents.add(EventType.SILVERFISH);
    }

@SubscribeEvent(priority = EventPriority.HIGHEST, receiveCanceled = true)
    public void handleOreGen(OreGenEvent.GenerateMinable event) {
        if(OreEventHandler.vanillaGenEvents.contains(event.getType()))
            event.setResult(Event.Result.DENY);
    }
}

Note: Besides removing mods ore generation, how am I about to re-add ores like iron to the world generation again, as using

the default way will probably not work as of the event above.

Thx in advance.

Bektor

Edited by Bektor

Developer of Primeval Forest.

For a while Forge was trying to create a "substitution" system. I think it was working in 1.10 but I never used it. But if that is still available you might try that. Look at the GameRegistry.addSubstitutionAlias() method.

Othewise I've had success by allowing it to generate during world gen but replacing it when the chunk is populated (PopulateChunkEvent). I have a tutorial on doing this here (scroll down the page to where it talks about replacing all blocks of a certain type): http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/p/minecraft-forge-172-modding-quick-tips.html

Edited by jabelar

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Neither of those are going to do what he wants.

The former will still generate, only now its his ore that generates (and in a location he doesn't want it to). The latter is only useful if he replaces the ore block with stone or we end up in the same situation again: only now its his ore that generates (and in a location he doesn't want it to).

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

It really depends on whether he means he wants an entirely fresh ore generation or whether he simply wants his ores to replace other mods' ores. The idea of "replace ore generation" can have either meaning. Does he want to change the actual generation (different locations) or the ores that are generated?

Even if he wants to change the generation itself, he can certainly use the OreGenEvent.Post event and basically undo everything (replace with stone) and then generate what he wants.

Actually, the mod he references even has open source code here: https://github.com/RedGear/Geocraft

Interestingly they seem to be using the chunk save and load and then world tick to figure out which chunks haven't been replaced and replacing them, or something like that ... I only looked briefly.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

What I want to do is replace the ore generation in a way that my mod decides where to put the ores. For example minecraft generates small veins and many which are evenly distributed in the world. Then my mod comes and stops minecraft iron ore generation and generates the iron from minecraft unevenly and seldom in large veins throught the world. So Minecraft doesn't generate the ore at all and my mod generates it instead after my rules and settings. That's what I want to do.

(something which could be achieved with a custom terrain generator, atleast for Minecraft ores itself, thought mod ores aren't handled that way and it would mean it is incompatible with other terrain generators)

15 hours ago, jabelar said:

Actually, the mod he references even has open source code here: https://github.com/RedGear/Geocraft

Both mods are open source or source visible (CoFHWorld). And GeoCraft also goes the way of using ASM and hacking into config systems to disable ore generation.

I don't know how the code of Geocraft actually works, but I know that GeoCraft uses ASM to replace all calls to generate with its generateHook to disable all ore generation for mods which use the generate methods and for all those other mods it goes the way of reflection with chaning the configs and stuff like that.

Thought I want to avoid this way if possible.

Note: it might not be true what I wrote above about how GeoCraft works. I just figured this out with asking some people and trying to understand the code... or atleast parts of it.. thought I mostly just got it from answers as I don't really get the code behind the stuff. Thought CoFHWorld seems to me way more complicated as GeoCraft, even when CoFHWorld doesn't use ASM while GeoCraft does.

Interestingly they seem to be using the chunk save and load and then world tick to figure out which chunks haven't been replaced and replacing them, or something like that ... I only looked briefly.

I never really got it why Geocraft uses chunk save and load events, thought CoFHWorld uses it, too, if I remember correclty. In GeoCraft the tick event also is used to not generate all ores at once, but instead generate them over time to reduce lag if I recall correctly.

Even if he wants to change the generation itself, he can certainly use the OreGenEvent.Post event and basically undo everything (replace with stone) and then generate what he wants.

Hm... sounds like a lot of extre work for the world generation, meaning the world generation will slow down.

Edited by Bektor

Developer of Primeval Forest.