[1.12] Adjusting BakedQuads

mysticalherobine

Hey there, so I've recently succeeded in combining two BakedQuad sets using IBakedModel, but my problem now lies to adjusting them.

So the way the item works it using it's base texture, then shrinking the texture of the selected item (Currently a placeholder Apple texture) into a smaller 4x4 size compared to the normal 16x16 size.

I've come to find that the format for the quad texture location is 3 floats, each stored into 4 sections of the vertex data (I think). What I attempt to do is shrink the X and Y factors by 0.25, if those are even the two correct positions.

What I'm doing just as a test to see what happens is as follows

public List<BakedQuad> getQuads(IBlockState state, EnumFacing side, long rand)
	{
		if (side != null)
			return parent.getQuads(state, side, rand);

List<BakedQuad> combined = new ArrayList(parent.getQuads(state, side, rand));
		// Take additional item and compress quads
		List<BakedQuad> additonalShrinkQuads = new ArrayList();
		System.out.println("New Set");
		for (BakedQuad quad : additional.getQuads(state, side, rand))
		{
			int[] vertexData = quad.getVertexData();
			System.out.println(vertexData);
			vertexData[0] = (int) (vertexData[0] * 0.5);
			vertexData[4] = (int) (vertexData[4] * 0.5);
			vertexData[8] = (int) (vertexData[8] * 0.5);
			additonalShrinkQuads.add(new BakedQuad(vertexData, quad.getTintIndex(), quad.getFace(),
					quad.getSprite(), quad.shouldApplyDiffuseLighting(), quad.getFormat()));
		}
		combined.addAll(additonalShrinkQuads);
		return combined;
	}

which works, other than the changing the additional quads (the item to display inside of the main item). This is a funny thing that happened from the above code an another snippet I tried to do

Spoiler

2017-08-16_15_33_00.png.9decfe2f920794e5cd32aa4dad33a1c5.png2017-08-16_15_26_50.thumb.png.2bd3a5a4da022278585962f1ce7fe7db.png

Yeah, fun times, so any info into how to adjust the vertex data is welcome!

Edit: I'd also like to know how to make sure the model is then held like a normal item as well, using the custom method seems to make it held in the weird awkward manner as seen in the pictures. Thanks again!

Edited by mysticalherobine

The texture UVs you have are actually the global UV coordinates on the texture atlas. So what you will need is figure out a way to access the texture atlas sprite that was used to bake the quad. In the sprite, you will find min & max global UV coordinates. Now just do some math, and apply the values.

Note: if you're trying to reduce the resolution of the texture, you have to do it completely differently.

As for manipulating quads data, you can't just do it on that raw data. Because quads for blocks and quads for items are in a different VertexFormat - the index defining each format element is different. You'll have unpack the quad first (into forge's UnpackedBakedQuad), then manipulate the more conveniently, but still not very, stored vertex data.

Take a look at the VertexFormat class to see how it is constructed.

PS: I have a library i use to unpack models, quads & vertices into Java friendly format (easy get&set operations). If you want, you can check it out here.

Edited by Elix_x
Is not are
  • Like 1