[1.12] ClientTickEvent problems

Wehavecookies56

So am I right in saying that ClientTickEvent should fire twice each tick? 1 for the start phase and 1 for the end phase.

Since I have found that it fires twice per phase each tick, I simply made it print the phase and I get this:

[11:33:11] [main/INFO] [STDOUT]: [uk.co.wehavecookies56.kk.client.core.handler.ClientEventHandler:onClientTick:26]: START
[11:33:11] [main/INFO] [STDOUT]: [uk.co.wehavecookies56.kk.client.core.handler.ClientEventHandler:onClientTick:26]: START
[11:33:11] [main/INFO] [STDOUT]: [uk.co.wehavecookies56.kk.client.core.handler.ClientEventHandler:onClientTick:26]: END
[11:33:11] [main/INFO] [STDOUT]: [uk.co.wehavecookies56.kk.client.core.handler.ClientEventHandler:onClientTick:26]: END

Here's my event handler code:

@SubscribeEvent
public void onClientTick(TickEvent.ClientTickEvent event) {
	System.out.println(event.phase);
}

This means that even after checking for a phase everything is run twice in the same tick. Which seemingly I can't prevent as any checks to prevent things from running a second time do not work as they happen at the same time.

If I am wrong about how the event works and that it firing twice per phase is how it is supposed to work how should I prevent code being run twice in the end or start phase?