[1.12] Porting from 1.11.2 registry assistance needed

OrangeVillager61

Hello! I've been porting my mod to 1.12 and I'm having issues with the new registry system. Did I do something wrong below?

public final class IvBlocks {

@GameRegistry.ObjectHolder("iv:light_blue_stairs")
	public static LightBlueStairs light_blue_stairs;

@SubscribeEvent
    public static void registerBlocks(RegistryEvent.Register<Block> event) {
        event.getRegistry().register(new LightBlueStairs());
    }

@SubscribeEvent
    public static void registerItems(RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event) {
        event.getRegistry().register(new ItemBlock(light_blue_stairs).setRegistryName(light_blue_stairs.getRegistryName()));
    }
}

public class LightBlueStairs extends BlockStairs{
	public LightBlueStairs() {
		super(Blocks.STAINED_HARDENED_CLAY.getStateFromMeta(3));
	    this.setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.MATERIALS);
	    setUnlocalizedName("light_blue_stairs");
	    setRegistryName(Reference.MOD_ID + ":" + "light_blue_stairs"); 

}
}
public class CommonProxy {

@EventHandler
    public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent e) {
		MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new IvBlocks());
	}
	@EventHandler
    public void init(FMLInitializationEvent e) {

}
    @EventHandler
    public void postInit(FMLPostInitializationEvent e) {

}
}

I think this line might cause trouble because you're setting the registry name from getting the registry name: 

event.getRegistry().register(new ItemBlock(light_blue_stairs).setRegistryName(light_blue_stairs.getRegistryName()));

Also, I think that uou need to register the item model mesher in your client proxy.

But you didn't really say what is going wrong -- is it not showing up at all? is it showing up but with the wrong model or texture?

Edited by jabelar
  • Like 1

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

29 minutes ago, jabelar said:

because you're setting the registry name from getting the registry name: 

OP is setting the registry name of an ItemBlock and is getting the name from a Block. That is a perfectly fine way to do it.

@OrangeVillager61 your methods that handle the events are static yet you are using an instance-based bus subscribing. If you are using Mod.EventBusSubscriber then the handler methods must be static, if you are using EventBus::register then they can't be static. Forge's documentation explains it here.

The field you annotate with ObjectHolder must have the following signature and declaration:

public static final TYPE NAME = null; You are missing the final modifier.

Additionally there is no reason to declare a class that only contains static methods final. A final modifier on a class means that other classes can't extend from it.

Edited by V0idWa1k3r
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, jabelar said:

Also, I think that uou need to register the item model mesher in your client proxy.

Also no. ModelLoader is correct. 

• Like 2

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

9 hours ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

OP is setting the registry name of an ItemBlock and is getting the name from a Block. That is a perfectly fine way to do it.

@OrangeVillager61 your methods that handle the events are static yet you are using an instance-based bus subscribing. If you are using Mod.EventBusSubscriber then the handler methods must be static, if you are using EventBus::register then they can't be static. Forge's documentation explains it here.

The field you annotate with ObjectHolder must have the following signature and declaration:

Additionally there is no reason to declare a class that only contains static methods final. A final modifier on a class means that other classes can't extend from it.

So like this?

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber

public static LightBlueStairs light_blue_stairs = null;

@SubscribeEvent
    }

@SubscribeEvent
    }
}

1 minute ago, OrangeVillager61 said:

I removed the null and replaced it with new LightBlueStairs, is that okay since the null was crashing MC.

You were still missing the final modifier on the field. If you are manually setting the field to something else than null then you are not using ObjectHolders correctly, or at all for that matter.

9 hours ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

2 minutes ago, OrangeVillager61 said:

Also, where do I register the models?

In a ModelRegistryEvent handler.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

You were still missing the final modifier on the field. If you are manually setting the field to something else than null then you are not using ObjectHolders correctly, or at all for that matter.

In a ModelRegistryEvent handler.

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber

public static final LightBlueStairs light_blue_stairs = null;

@SubscribeEvent
    }

@SubscribeEvent
    }
}

This is my current code and it crashes at null.

That should not be happening. Are you sure that the LightBlueStairs constructor sets the registry name of the block to "iv:light_blue_stairs"? Is there anything in the log(fml-*****-latest, not the log you see in your ide's output window) mentioning the ObjectHolder? If forge can't inject an object into a field annotated with ObjectHolder it will log a message.

6 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

That should not be happening. Are you sure that the LightBlueStairs constructor sets the registry name of the block to "iv:light_blue_stairs"? Is there anything in the log(fml-*****-latest, not the log you see in your ide's output window) mentioning the ObjectHolder? If forge can't inject an object into a field annotated with ObjectHolder it will log a message.

I didn't see anything about ObjectHolders but I did see this in the log:

[10:42:14] [main/DEBUG] [FML/]: Unable to lookup iv:light_blue_stairs for public static orangeVillager61.configVillagerPerDoor.Blocks.LightBlueStairs orangeVillager61.configVillagerPerDoor.Blocks.IvBlocks.light_blue_stairs. This means the object wasn't registered. It's likely just mod options.

That message means that forge was unable to find an object with that registry name in a registry.

8 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

Are you sure that the LightBlueStairs constructor sets the registry name of the block to "iv:light_blue_stairs"?

Additionally you could try to change the type of the field from LightBlueStairs to Block. I am pretty sure that forge still figures out that your type is a subclass of Block and the registry for blocks is the one to search through though.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

That message means that forge was unable to find an object with that registry name in a registry.

setRegistryName(Reference.MOD_ID + ":" + "light_blue_stairs");
	    setUnlocalizedName(Reference.MOD_ID + ":" + "light_blue_stairs");

}

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    public void initModel() {
        ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(Item.getItemFromBlock(this), 0, new ModelResourceLocation(getRegistryName(), "inventory"));
    }
}

Additionally you could try to change the type of the field from LightBlueStairs to Block. I am pretty sure that forge still figures out that your type is a subclass of Block and the registry for blocks is the one to search through though.

Okay, I'll try that.

Oh, nvm. I've been using the wrong mod_id.

Edited by OrangeVillager61

59 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

Fixing the mod_id fixed most of it but the block doesn't have a texture in the inventory.

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber

@GameRegistry.ObjectHolder("cs:light_blue_stairs")
	public static final LightBlueStairs light_blue_stairs = null;

@SubscribeEvent
    }

@SubscribeEvent
    }

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    public static void initModels() {
    	light_blue_stairs.initModel();
    }
}
	    setRegistryName("light_blue_stairs");
	    setUnlocalizedName(Reference.MOD_ID + ":" + "light_blue_stairs");

}

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    public void initModel() {
        ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(Item.getItemFromBlock(this), 0, new ModelResourceLocation(getRegistryName(), "inventory"));
    }
}

16 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

Show your ModelRegistryEvent hander then. 

Annotating methods with SideOnly is not a very good way of doing anything, really. SideOnly is too unreliable. Proxies exist for a reason.

public class ClientProxy extends CommonProxy{

@Override
	    public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent e) {
	        super.preInit(e);

MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new RegisterModels());
	    }

@Override
	    public void init(FMLInitializationEvent e) {
	        super.init(e);
	    }

@Override
	    public void postInit(FMLPostInitializationEvent e) {
	        super.postInit(e);
	    }
}
public class RegisterModels {

@SubscribeEvent
    public static void registerModels(ModelRegistryEvent event) {
        IvBlocks.initModels();
    }
}

I fear that the issue is with my client proxy.

Edited by OrangeVillager61

11 hours ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

your method that handles the events is static yet you are using an instance-based bus subscribing. If you are using Mod.EventBusSubscriber then the handler methods must be static, if you are using EventBus::register then they can't be static. Forge's documentation explains it here.

Also I don't think that having more than 1 different non-nested public(aka top-level) class within 1 java file is even valid java. Or is this just the way you've formatted your post and not your actual code snippet? 

Edited by V0idWa1k3r
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

your method that handles the events is static yet you are using an instance-based bus subscribing. If you are using Mod.EventBusSubscriber then the handler methods must be static, if you are using EventBus::register then they can't be static. Forge's documentation explains it here.

Alright, that fixed the issue. Thanks for the help!