json recipes not registering?! [solved]

Torojima

Hi all,

I'm trying to update my mod to 1.12. Thus getting the recipes into json files.

Source is stored here:

https://github.com/ArnoSaxena/buildhelper/tree/master/src/main

The json files are reported as correct json by https://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com/

The items are working as expected, in creative mode. But the recipes are not registered. I can not create them on a workbench.

Obviously I don't understand the recipe registering completely and have forgotten something :)

Could somebody be so kind, have a look and tell me what's wrong?

Edited by Torojima

running minecraft on Mac OS X - Sierra --- creating code since 1986 ... --- मेरा दिल भारतवासी है!

width=289 height=100http://www.arno-saxena.de/pictures/chococraft/banner_signature.png[/img]

Sorry, yes there is, I've forgotten to add to the post :)

below is the log entry. It says "Missing data" for my item. (The item including the icon works well in creative, so I would say it's not the naming of the item itself).

Log:

Spoiler
11:24:51 game [09:24:51] [main/ERROR] [FML]: Parsing error loading recipe buildhelper:../recipes/gapfillwand
11:24:51 game com.google.gson.JsonParseException: Missing data for item 'buildhelper:gapfillwand'
11:24:51 game at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.getItemStack(CraftingHelper.java:209) ~[CraftingHelper.class:?]
11:24:51 game at net.minecraftforge.oredict.ShapedOreRecipe.factory(ShapedOreRecipe.java:242) ~[ShapedOreRecipe.class:?]
11:24:51 game at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.getRecipe(CraftingHelper.java:397) ~[CraftingHelper.class:?]
11:24:51 game at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.loadRecipes(CraftingHelper.java:740) ~[CraftingHelper.class:?]
11:24:51 game at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.lambda$loadRecipes$22(CraftingHelper.java:612) ~[CraftingHelper.class:?]
11:24:51 game at java.util.ArrayList.forEach(ArrayList.java:1249) [?:1.8.0_74]
11:24:51 game at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.loadRecipes(CraftingHelper.java:612) [CraftingHelper.class:?]
11:24:51 game at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Loader.initializeMods(Loader.java:828) [Loader.class:?]
11:24:51 game at net.minecraftforge.fml.client.FMLClientHandler.finishMinecraftLoading(FMLClientHandler.java:358) [FMLClientHandler.class:?]
11:24:51 game at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71384_a(Minecraft.java:534) [bhz.class:?]
11:24:51 game at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:377) [bhz.class:?]
11:24:51 game at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:123) [Main.class:?]
11:24:51 game at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_74]
11:24:51 game at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_74]
11:24:51 game at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_74]
11:24:51 game at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_74]
11:24:51 game at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
11:24:51 game at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]

the recipe json for the item looks like this:

Spoiler

{
  "type": "forge:ore_shaped",
  "pattern": [
    "  E",
    " - ",
    "N  "
  ],
  "key": {
    "E":{
      "type": "forge:ore_dict",
      "ore": "gemEmerald"
    },
    "-":{
      "ore": "stickWood"
    },
    "N":{
      "ore": "nuggetGold"
    }
  },
  "result": {
    "item": "buildhelper:gapfillwand"
  }
}

ore names I've copied from net.minecraftforge.oredict.OreDictionary, while names for minecraft items (in the other recipes) I've copied from net.minecraft.init.items.

json recipe with minecraft item:

Spoiler

{
    "  B",
    " - ",
    "N  "
  ],
    "B": {
      "item": "minecraft:bucket"
    },
    },
    }
  },
    "item": "buildhelper:removewaterwand"
  }
}

thanks for the help :)

running minecraft on Mac OS X - Sierra --- creating code since 1986 ... --- मेरा दिल भारतवासी है!

width=289 height=100http://www.arno-saxena.de/pictures/chococraft/banner_signature.png[/img]

Your repository should include the Gradle Wrapper (gradlew, gradlew.bat and the gradle directory) so people building your mod don't need to have Gradle installed locally.

You're using an old version of Forge which stops loading recipes for a mod as soon as an exception is thrown, newer versions continue loading recipes and log every exception that's thrown.

I ran your mod with its current version of Forge and this exception was logged:

[17:09:59] [main/ERROR] [FML/]: Parsing error loading recipe buildhelper:exchangewand
com.google.gson.JsonParseException: Missing data for item 'buildhelper:exchangewand'

You need to specify the metadata using the data property for any Item that has subtypes.

I tried updating to a newer version of Forge, but you're still using GameRegistry.register, which is private in newer versions. You need to use the registry events instead.

• Like 1

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

latest forge version.

the items still working as expected in creative mode, but now not only the recipes are not working, the icons are gone as well as the translated names. I have the impression nothing from the assets folder can be found?! But they are present in the jar file at the same location as before. Also at the same location as other mods working in 1.12.

What's wrong? I'm very confused...

Updated my git repo with version for forge-1.12-14.21.1.2430

Edited by Torojima

4 hours ago, Choonster said:

Your repository should include the Gradle Wrapper (gradlew, gradlew.bat and the gradle directory) so people building your mod don't need to have Gradle installed locally.

can do of course, but are you sure? That's not made by me, wouldn't feel right to 'just' add it to my repo.

7 minutes ago, Torojima said:

latest forge version.

the items still working as expected in creative mode, but now not only the recipes are not working, the icons are gone as well as the translated names. I have the impression nothing from the assets folder can be found?! But they are present in the jar file at the same location as before. Also at the same location as other mods working in 1.12.

What's wrong? I'm very confused...

I'm not sure what would cause that. Have you set up your IDE project by following these instructions?

Update your code on GitHub and I'll try to reproduce and debug it locally.

• Like 1

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

16 minutes ago, Choonster said:

I'm not sure what would cause that. Have you set up your IDE project by following these instructions?

Update your code on GitHub and I'll try to reproduce and debug it locally.

jep, that's how I setup my forge environment. With the ./gradlew eclipse path. New project with the forge folder in Eclipse and I can run the test from Eclipse.

As soon as I have added the resource location registering via event I'll update again my git repo. (the repo is already updated for usage with forge-1.12-14.21.1.2430 tho)

27 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

run the gradlew wrapper and added gradlew, gradlew.bat and the gradle directory to my repo :)

@Choonster

it's not just a missing ModelRegistryEvent handler either. (still I've added it as well, the log printout I've added in the event handler is not printed in the log, so I presume the event is not fired ... and I'm looking for the wrong event... ).

Still I presume something very basic is wrong, because the items are shown with the item.some_descriptor.name string and the pink/black default icon in the game instead of the names from the lang files or the correct icons. Maybe you can tell me what I've missed :)

Try deleting and recreating your IDE project. I initially had the same issue where assets weren't being copied to the IDE's output directory, but deleting and recreating the project fixed it.

Item (and other IForgeRegistryEntry) instances should either be created in field initialisers or in the corresponding registry event, not in preInit. Models should be registered in ModelRegistryEvent.

If your event handlers aren't being called, make sure you've registered them (either manually or with @Mod.EventBusSubscriber).

If you've made these changes and are still having issues, update your repository and describe the issues.

• Like 1

Models are registered in ModelRegistryEvent. The icons are back :D

Item instances now created in field initialisers.

The item mechanic is working (the items in creative spawned do what they should do), but still no correct localised names and no recipes... I've updated the git repository.

I'll now delete the IDE project and create new, but I doubt that's the issue in my case, since when I open the jar file I can see the correct assets in place.

as I had presumed, there is no difference with a completely from scratch new created project (deleted the old one, unziped forge stuff and run gradlew setupDecompWorkspace with subsequent gradlew eclipse. Copied in my source and opened new eclipse project.) Still no names, still no working recipes :(

The items are working, so I think they are correctly registered, aren't they? Also the correctly present icons indicate the resource location identifier are correct ... am I right?

Edited by Torojima

names issue solved ...

en_US.lang => en_us.lang etc ...

... really forge? forced lower case? that's necessary?

recipes still not working ...

2 hours ago, Torojima said:

recipes still not working ...

Have you checked for errors in the log?

Side note: I previously said that newer versions of Forge continue loading recipes for a mod after encountering an error, but this is incorrect. I thought that this issue had already been fixed, but it hasn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Choonster said:

Have you checked for errors in the log?

Spoiler
03:22:39 game [01:22:39] [main/ERROR] [FML]: Parsing error loading recipe buildhelper:gapfillwand
03:22:39 game com.google.gson.JsonParseException: Missing data for item 'buildhelper:gapfillwand'
03:22:39 game at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.getItemStack(CraftingHelper.java:214) ~[CraftingHelper.class:?]
03:22:39 game at net.minecraftforge.oredict.ShapedOreRecipe.factory(ShapedOreRecipe.java:238) ~[ShapedOreRecipe.class:?]
03:22:39 game at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.getRecipe(CraftingHelper.java:408) ~[CraftingHelper.class:?]
03:22:39 game at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.lambda$loadRecipes$22(CraftingHelper.java:711) ~[CraftingHelper.class:?]
03:22:39 game at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.findFiles(CraftingHelper.java:806) ~[CraftingHelper.class:?]
03:22:39 game at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.findFiles(CraftingHelper.java:736) ~[CraftingHelper.class:?]
03:22:39 game at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.loadRecipes(CraftingHelper.java:668) ~[CraftingHelper.class:?]
03:22:39 game at java.util.ArrayList.forEach(ArrayList.java:1249) [?:1.8.0_74]
03:22:39 game at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.loadRecipes(CraftingHelper.java:620) [CraftingHelper.class:?]
03:22:39 game at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Loader.initializeMods(Loader.java:779) [Loader.class:?]
03:22:39 game at net.minecraftforge.fml.client.FMLClientHandler.finishMinecraftLoading(FMLClientHandler.java:343) [FMLClientHandler.class:?]
03:22:39 game at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71384_a(Minecraft.java:534) [bhz.class:?]
03:22:39 game at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:377) [bhz.class:?]
03:22:39 game at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:123) [Main.class:?]
03:22:39 game at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_74]
03:22:39 game at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_74]
03:22:39 game at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_74]
03:22:39 game at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_74]
03:22:39 game at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
03:22:39 game at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]

that's still all I got from the log. Same when I start with Eclipse (tho, the json recipe file causing the error is a different one). I wonder what "missing data for item" does mean ... is the issue with the item, or has the recipe itself a problem?

fixed it ... obviously some of the recipes did need an "data":0 for the item in the result entry ...

Spoiler

{
    "  E",
    " - ",
    "N  "
  ],
    "E": {
      "ore": "gemEmerald"
    },
    },
    }
  },
    "item": "buildhelper:gapfillwand",
    "data": 0
  }
}

I could imagine that's something to do with the dynamic texture change I've done (which is not yet working btw, because I don't know yet how to register the ItemMeshDefinition in the new event handler version :)

Anyway, the mod is now working basically :) thank you guys for your help :)

1 hour ago, Torojima said:

I could imagine that's something to do with the dynamic texture change I've done

Any Item that has subtypes (i.e. Item#getHasSubtypes returns true) requires the metadata to be specified with the data property when used in JSON recipes. I explained this here.

(which is not yet working btw, because I don't know yet how to register the ItemMeshDefinition in the new event handler version :)

ItemMeshDefinitions are registered with ModelLoader.setCustomMeshDefinition, just as before.

Edited by Choonster
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Choonster said:

Any Item that has subtypes (i.e. Item#getHasSubtypes returns true) requires the metadata to be specified with the data property when used in JSON recipes. I explained this here.

you're absolutely correct. I have missed that one :)

On 2/8/2017 at 3:34 AM, Choonster said:

ItemMeshDefinitions are registered with ModelLoader.setCustomMeshDefinition, just as before.

and done as well, works like a charm, thanks :)