[1.12] Custom Crafting with OreDictionary?

Erfurt

Hey guys, just a quick little question.

Have crafting with OreDictionary been removed? If not, where can I locate the new method for it?

Crafting with OreDictionary is/was extremely useful in my opinion, and I would very much like to use it if I can.

• Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

51 minutes ago, Erfurt said:

Thank you, but does this mean that you can only use OreDictionary by creating the json recipe files yourself, there's not a piece of code that can be used to create them? 

The actual ore dictionary matching has moved to OreIngredient (forge:ore_dict in JSON), which you can use as an Ingredient in any Vanilla or Forge recipe class.

You can create and register recipes in code if you want, but moving to the JSON system is recommended.

Edited by Choonster
  • Like 1

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

8 minutes ago, Choonster said:

The actual ore dictionary matching has moved to OreIngredient (forge:ore_dict in JSON), which you can use as an Ingredient in any Vanilla or Forge recipe class.

You can create and register recipes in code if you want, but moving to the JSON system is recommended.

Okay, just tedious to do when you have 50+ blocks, and already have a good system to add crafting, but I guess that once it's done I don't have to think about it until Mojang decides to change crafting again. Oh well thank you :)

So I have been working on this for a couple of days now, and it doesn't work for me. I'm trying to use both ore dictionary and items in my recipes. as in this example

{
  "type": "forge:ore_shaped",
  "pattern": [
    "XX",
    "X#",
    " #"
  ],
  "ingredients": [
    {
      "#": {
        "type": "forge:ore_dict",
        "ore": "stickWood"
      },
      "X": {
        "item": "em:amethyst"
      }
    }
  ],
  "result": {
    "item": "em:amethyst_axe"
  }
}

But it doesn't work. I get this error

Spoiler

[main/ERROR] [FML]: Parsing error loading recipe em:amethyst_axe
com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException: Missing key, expected to find a JsonObject
    at net.minecraft.util.JsonUtils.getJsonObject(JsonUtils.java:302) ~[JsonUtils.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.oredict.ShapedOreRecipe.factory(ShapedOreRecipe.java:196) ~[ShapedOreRecipe.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.getRecipe(CraftingHelper.java:402) ~[CraftingHelper.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.lambda$loadRecipes$21(CraftingHelper.java:702) ~[CraftingHelper.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.findFiles(CraftingHelper.java:790) ~[CraftingHelper.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.loadRecipes(CraftingHelper.java:659) ~[CraftingHelper.class:?]
    at java.util.ArrayList.forEach(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_131]
    at net.minecraftforge.common.crafting.CraftingHelper.loadRecipes(CraftingHelper.java:614) [CraftingHelper.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Loader.initializeMods(Loader.java:779) [Loader.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.fml.client.FMLClientHandler.finishMinecraftLoading(FMLClientHandler.java:343) [FMLClientHandler.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.init(Minecraft.java:576) [Minecraft.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:416) [Minecraft.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:118) [Main.class:?]
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_131]
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_131]
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_131]
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_131]
    at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
    at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_131]
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_131]
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_131]
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_131]
    at net.minecraftforge.gradle.GradleStartCommon.launch(GradleStartCommon.java:97) [start/:?]
    at GradleStart.main(GradleStart.java:26) [start/:?]

Is it even possible to use both in the same recipe? (It should be in my opinion)

Your recipe is structured incorrectly, this has nothing to do with ore dictionary ingredients (which can be mixed with any other ingredient types).

Shaped recipes require the value of the "key" property to be an object with the characters from the pattern as keys and the ingredients as values. You have this inside the "ingredients" array property, which isn't used by shaped recipes.

Look at vanilla shaped recipes for examples or at the CraftingHelper.init method to see how the factory for each recipe type is defined.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

38 minutes ago, Choonster said:

Your recipe is structured incorrectly, this has nothing to do with ore dictionary ingredients (which can be mixed with any other ingredient types).

Shaped recipes require the value of the "key" property to be an object with the characters from the pattern as keys and the ingredients as values. You have this inside the "ingredients" array property, which isn't used by shaped recipes.

Look at vanilla shaped recipes for examples or at the CraftingHelper.init method to see how the factory for each recipe type is defined.

Ahh I see, got confused by the link to another post that used "ingredients", so I thought that it was a forge thing, my bad.

So just to be sure it should be like this.

{
  "type": "forge:ore_shaped",
  "pattern": [
    "XX",
    "X#",
    " #"
  ],
  "key": {
    "#": {
      "type": "forge:ore_dict",
      "ore": "stickWood"
    },
    "X": {
      "item": "em:amethyst"
    }
  },
  "result": {
    "item": "em:amethyst_axe"
  }
}

Just a couple small question more.

If I have lets say a new type of wood planks, and I add it to the ore dictionary plankWood. Do I then have to make new recipes for all items that use wood planks in the recipes, like wooden axe, or is that still done automatically?

Also I have noticed that my recipes is not being added to the recipe book when I obtain the items for that item/block, as you would do with a vanilla item/block. Example of this is when you obtain iron ingot, you get the recipes for iron armor. Is there something I need to code, or is it a bug?

You just need to tell the oredictionary about your block, vanilla items (like wooden axes) already have oredict recipes.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

12 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

You just need to tell the oredictionary about your block, vanilla items (like wooden axes) already have oredict recipes.

Okay, that works, but for some reason it didn't work the last time I tried. Not sure what the problem was. Maybe it was because I had an issue with some of my other recipes at the time I tried, not sure if that has something to do with it. Anyway thanks. Now it's just the thing with the game not adding the recipes.

EDIT: Doesn't actually seem to work. I had an recipe I had forgot about, with the item I just tested with.

Edited by Erfurt

30 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

I'm using the 14.21.1.2387 build, have they been added in a later build?

EDIT: This is how I have added my block to the ore dictionary.

OreDictionary.registerOre("plankWood", block);

This worked in 1.11.2

Edited by Erfurt

4 hours ago, Choonster said:

It looks like this is a known issue.

Aha, hope that it will be fixed with the next recommended build :)

Then I just want to know about the recipes not being added in the recipe book, is that also a bug, or something that isn't implemented yet? Or is there something I need to code?

For a recipe to be unlocked when a player first has its ingredients, you need to create an advancement that unlocks it. If you don't, the recipe will only be unlocked when the player first crafts it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Choonster said:

For a recipe to be unlocked when a player first has its ingredients, you need to create an advancement that unlocks it. If you don't, the recipe will only be unlocked when the player first crafts it.

Thanks