[Unsolved][1.8]When Postinit's items are rendered the game crashes

EricTFC

Every time I run the game it gives me an error on rendering items. (I'm new at coding so i probaly did something stupid) It was working before, but after i added the graphite pickaxe it stopped working and kept crashing

Also, i put a download for all of the code in my mod and the crash report

Code:

@EventHandler
    public void postInit(FMLPostInitializationEvent event)
    {
        if(event.getSide() == Side.CLIENT)
        {
            RenderItem renderItem = Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem();            
            renderItem.getItemModelMesher().register(rubykey, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(MODID + ":" + ((ItemKey)rubykey).getName(), "inventory"));        
            renderItem.getItemModelMesher().register(goldkey, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(MODID + ":" + ((ItemKey)goldkey).getName(), "inventory"));
            renderItem.getItemModelMesher().register(ruby,  0, new ModelResourceLocation(MODID + ":" + "ruby", "inventory"));
            renderItem.getItemModelMesher().register(graphitedust, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(MODID + ":" + ((MItem) graphitedust).getName(), "inventory"));
            renderItem.getItemModelMesher().register(graphiteingot , 0, new ModelResourceLocation(MODID + ":" + ((MItem) graphiteingot).getName(), "inventory"));
            renderItem.getItemModelMesher().register(gv, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(MODID + ":" + ((MItem) gv).getName() , "inventory" ));
            renderItem.getItemModelMesher().register(footprint, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(MODID + ":" + ((MItem)footprint).getName(),"inventory"));
            renderItem.getItemModelMesher().register(berry,  0, new ModelResourceLocation(MODID + ":" + "berry", "inventory"));
            renderItem.getItemModelMesher().register(graphitepickaxe,  0, new ModelResourceLocation(MODID + ":" + ((ItemGraphitePickaxe)graphitepickaxe).getName(), "inventory"));
        }
    }

WeirdStuff.java

Ruby.java

MItem.java

ItemKey.java

ItemGraphitePickaxe.java

ItemBerry.java

crash-2017-06-19_08.57.16-client.txt

Edited by EricTFC

Are you registering your item models here? That is absolutely not how you should do it.

1. Use ModelLoader, not ItemModelMesher.

2. Model registration must be done during pre-init, not post-init. And not init, for that matter. Pre-init and pre-init only. That is if you are chosing to not use forge's registry events...

3. You must use proxies to access client from common classes. Your mod class is a common class, you can't call client-only methods from it, even if you do the side check first. Client-only methods and classes simply do not exist on the server so a check like the one you are performing will not save you.

4. Why are you using some getName() method to generate a resourcelocation of your items? Why can't you just use Item::getRegistryName as the first argument to your ModelResourceLocation?  (see N6 for more clarification)

5. Your ItemGraphitePickaxe literally registers itself with the name "name". Not the name you've passed in it's constructor, but a literal "name" string. Same goes for it's unlocalized name.

6. You are also horribly misusing forge's registry system. You should not use GameRegistry.registerItem. Instead you should use Item::setRegistryName for your items and registering them via forge's registry events. Or at least with GameRegistry::register. Not registerItem, just register.

7. Register your recipes at one loading stage. At least just for consistency, of all the reasons there are. Why are some of your recipes registered in preinit and others in init? Bonus points for using Shaped/ShapelessOreRecipe instead of regular Shaped/Shapeless.

Why are your java files and the crash report attachments of all the things? People do not want to download random files to their computers, there are plenty of online text hosting services out there. Use github to host your code and gists to link text files. Or at least pastebin or something like it.

Edit: Oh, I just missed something. Your preinit method is using FMLInitializationEvent, not FMLPreInitializationEvent, and it is not annotated with EventHandler so it is not called. All your items are null, hence the crash.

Edited by V0idWa1k3r
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

all the reasons

Oh gods yes. So many things wrong with the op's code. ALL OF THE REASONS. 

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.