1.10.2 Using CustomNPCs across games

Alek973

Is it possible to create NPCs and use them across games? For example, if I make an NPC how can I spawn them in a new game? My guess is that maybe one way is to copy the files from one save to another? I would like to create a ModPack with the predefined NPCs that would be available in new (random seed not mapsaved) games.

Thank you for any support.

I've just discovered that the Clone tool displays the NPCs from the global tabs - so I can spawn them in new saves manually this way. But, what about the command (or a script)? The clone command (like: /noppes clone spawn NPCname 1 ) seems to use only the tabs from the save game location, can I refer a global tab in the clone command (like the clone tool can)?

• 1 month later...

I really like your idea. There are two different ways to "store" clones - server- and clientsided. The client-sided (located in .minecraft/customnpcs/clones/) can be used in every world, but I don't believe they're accessable by scripts. On the other hand the server-sided clones (located in .minecraft/saves/yourWorldName/customnpcs/clones/) are accessable by scripts, but you need to copy them to the folder every time a new world is generated. The NPCName.json files contains even the scripts of the NPCs.

It could be possible to copy the clone-files automatically at generating a new world with a little self-written mod, including the clones you want to copy. Unfortunatly I have no notion about Java or modding Minecraft.

I think, the best way to let these clones spawn, are player-bound scripts (that should be the .minecraft/saves/yourWorldName/customnpcs/scripts/player_scripts.json file). This file has to be copied everytime at world-generation, too (at best by the self-written mod).

I hope, I could help you.

Edit: Even if it wouldn't be necessary I highly recommend you to write a little mod to copy the clones and the playerscripts. Anyone could mess up his whole installation of your modpack simply by editing, overwriting or deleting the client-sided clones with the CustomNPCs-tools. To fix this he would have to reinstall the modpack.

But if you store the clones in a mod and copy them every time a world is generating, he would only mess up one world, and not the whole modpack-installation. Maybe you can even implement a chat-command to overwrite the (messed up) clones with the default ones.

Edited by Aropretim

I am also not a mod creator, but, since I do some programming maybe I will get my hands dirty at some point :) However, at the moment, I am dealing with a lot of other stuff, trying to configure a modpack to my own taste so creating a mod will come a bit later down the line. For now, if anyone stumbles on this topic and is happy to create a mod for this I believe it would help modpack makers to consider Custom NPCs in their packs.