getVillageCollection returns null

Scruffy

Hey everyone, I've made some simple mod items so far with 1.9.4, and I'd like to find the nearest village around the player, but I am encountering a NullPointerException when using getVillageCollection.

It seems that the abstract world class just declares it, and theWorld (WorldClient subclass of world) variable in Minecraft class isn't implemented.  So I'm guessing that something else implements it.

It returns a villageCollectionObj, which is = null (because it isn't implemented in WorldClient).

Unless it's because it is running from a Client side event handler?  It's a single player/LAN only mod, so I thought Client was the way to go (nothing happens in the Server event handlers).

The player is standing in a village, so it would be giving me something if it worked.

WorldClient w = null;
Village closest = null;
VillageCollection villages = null;

w = Minecraft.getMinecraft().theWorld;
villages = w.getVillageCollection();
closest = villages.getNearestVillage(blockpos, radius);

Stack trace points to

closest = villages.getNearestVillage(p, 500);

[08:18:14] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR]: [com.scruffy.event.EventHandlerClient:playerTickEvent:145]: java.lang.NullPointerException
[08:18:14] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR]: [com.scruffy.event.EventHandlerClient:playerTickEvent:145]:     at com.scruffy.event.EventHandlerClient.playerTickEvent(EventHandlerClient.java:123)

37 minutes ago, OreCruncher said:

Village information is kept server side.

Hm ok thanks that explains that.  Must I use packets between server and client just to get the village collection?  Can't I just hack it into a public static like the forge docs tell you not to?  I don't want to change anything about the village, I just want the client to be able to know how close it is to a village.  For this mod, I'm not too fussed with "proper" methods, as I have limited time to do this (I should really be doing revision for my exams next week).

12 minutes ago, Scruffy said:

Must I use packets between server and client just to get the village collection? 

If you want it to work properly, yes.

12 minutes ago, Scruffy said:

Can't I just hack it into a public static like the forge docs tell you not to?  I don't want to change anything about the village, I just want the client to be able to know how close it is to a village.  For this mod, I'm not too fussed with "proper" methods, as I have limited time to do this (I should really be doing revision for my exams next week).

That may work in single player, but it's guaranteed to break when the server isn't running in the same process as the client (i.e. LAN hosted by another player or a dedicated server).

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

1 hour ago, Scruffy said:

OK so I need to implement some network packet stuff.  I shall Google that now, thanks guys.

Forge's documentation has a page on the Simple Network Wrapper here. This is what you should use to send the packets.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.