[1.10.2] CropGrowEvent and sub events firing for vanilla crops, but not modded crops

TheAtomicOption

I'm writing a mod to create configurable white/blacklists for crops to only grow in specific biomes. I've got it working great for vanilla crops so I know the event is firing for those. However in trying to support Pam's Harvestcraft, I've found that her crops don't trigger either CropGrowEvent, nor pre or post. 

My questions are:
1. Is my analysis below of why my mod doesn't work on this other mod's items correct?
2. If so, How can I override the offending function in their mod using my mod to fire the CropGrowEvent.Pre event correctly without creating a permanent dependency? I don't know how to do this in only my mod to create compatibility.

First my Pre event handler which uses another class to determine whether to allow crop growth based on my config files.

Spoiler

public class CropGrowthEventHandler {

/**
     * Block Crop growth in Biomes disallowed by config.
     * */
    @SubscribeEvent(priority = EventPriority.LOWEST)
    public void onCropGrowEvent(BlockEvent.CropGrowEvent.Pre event) {
		FMLLog.info("Pre event fired");
        if(event.getWorld().isRemote){ return; } // run only on logical server

Block block = event.getState().getBlock();
        boolean canGrow = false;

canGrow = CropBiomeLogic.canGrowExplicit(event.getWorld(),event.getPos());

if(canGrow){
            event.setResult(Event.Result.DEFAULT);
            FMLLog.info("canGrow true");
        }
        else {
            event.setResult(Event.Result.DENY);
            FMLLog.info("canGrow false");
        }

}

Again, this works great for vanilla crops as well as saplings. 

Pam's Harvestcraft crops are in a custom class that extends CropBlocks. Link to the full class definition. (note: this is her 1.11 code. I'm testing against a 1.10.2 jar, but haven't been able to find source for it, but there doesn't seem to have been a rewrite in between. the 1.10.2 code doesn't seem to be available anywhere including in Git branches/tags in the same repository.)

Partial BlockPamCrop class definition that seems relevant:

Spoiler

public class BlockPamCrop extends BlockCrops implements IGrowable, IPlantable, PamCropGrowable {

private final String registerName;
	public final String name;
	private String BASE_STAGE_ID = null;

public BlockPamCrop(String registerName, String name) {
		super();

this.registerName = registerName;
		this.name = name;

this.setDefaultState(blockState.getBaseState().withProperty(getAgeProperty(), 0));
	}

@Override
	public int getMatureAge() {
		return MATURE_AGE;
	}

public boolean isMature(IBlockState state) {
		return state.getValue(getAgeProperty()) >= MATURE_AGE;
	}

@Override
	public boolean canGrow(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, boolean isClient) {
		return !isMature(state);
	}

@Override
	public Item getCrop() {
		if(food == null) {
			FMLLog.bigWarning("No food has been set up for %s.", getUnlocalizedName());
			return new Item();
		}

return food;
	}

@Override
	public IBlockState getStateFromMeta(int meta) {
		return getDefaultState().withProperty(getAgeProperty(), meta);
	}

@Override
	public void updateTick(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, Random rand) {
		this.checkAndDropBlock(worldIn, pos, state);

if(worldIn.getLightFromNeighbors(pos.up()) >= 9) {
			int currentGrowthLevel = getMetaFromState(state);

if(currentGrowthLevel < getMatureAge()) {
				float f = getGrowthChance(this, worldIn, pos);

if(rand.nextInt((int) (50.0F / f) + 1) == 0) {
					worldIn.setBlockState(pos, this.getStateFromMeta(currentGrowthLevel + 1), 2);
				}
			}
		}
	}

So the best I can figure is that Pam's overriding of updateTick() is the problem as it randomly grows the crop, but doesn't post any events to the forge EVENT_BUS.

Edited by TheAtomicOption

Pam's HarvestCraft seems to override the BlockCrops#updateTick method and don't call the super method. You should contact the author or make a pull request to either call the super method or call the event itself.

• Like 1

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

On 4/19/2017 at 8:15 PM, Draco18s said:

Tell Pam to fix their shit so that it does work.

I added that event so that the thing you want to do is possible and modders that add their own crops that don't inherit from the classes I had patched need to fire that event manually and it's the mod author's responsibility to do so.  If they haven't, it's a bug, they should fix it.

• Like 2

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Whelp I submitted a pull request. it was subsequently closed without comment. Kind of disheartening, but I guess I can't expect a lot from someone who doesn't use either branches or tags to separate versions on Github. Thanks all, for your input/help.

Admittedly my pull request was a bit sloppy in that something about saving the file made the Github diff show every line in the file as replaced rather than just the two lines that actually changed to add the hooks. (line breaks or something? IDK). Mostly I'm just miffed that there's no communication and nothing I can do on my end. Maybe I'll be lucky and they'll add my change in the next patch despite the nonresponse... 

On 5/17/2017 at 10:57 AM, Jay Avery said:

I don't think there is any way for you to intervene in the code of another mod which doesn't use events.

Damn. I was hoping this was possible I know people used to get mad at Gregtech for overriding recipies, but I guess that's just overwriting the recipe list, which is already exposed, rather than directly hooking code that has no hooks. 

Ultimately, you can't rely on another mod to make itself compatible with yours (or any other). You could try to contact them personally or open an issue rather than a PR to discuss it, but at this point it seems like they probably know they're incompatible with other mods and just don't mind.

• Like 1