[1.10.2][1.11.2] Server side message handling

OreCruncher

Server side I receive a message from a client.  While executing on the Netty thread I want to send that packet out to additional clients (essentially a star routing pattern).  Is it safe to handle all that on the Netty thread, or should I post a task to the Server thread and route from there?

Follow on ....  how stable is sendToAllAround()?  I occasionally get the following exception when processing messages server side:

May 15, 2017 10:23:03 AM io.netty.channel.embedded.EmbeddedChannel recordException
WARNING: More than one exception was raised. Will report only the first one and log others.
java.lang.RuntimeException: DIMENSION expects an integer argument
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.FMLOutboundHandler$OutboundTarget$6.validateArgs(FMLOutboundHandler.java:171)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.FMLOutboundHandler.write(FMLOutboundHandler.java:282)
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeWrite(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:658)
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.write(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:716)
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.write(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:651)
	at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageEncoder.write(MessageToMessageEncoder.java:112)
	at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageCodec.write(MessageToMessageCodec.java:116)
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeWrite(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:658)
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.write(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:716)
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.writeAndFlush(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:706)
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.writeAndFlush(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:741)
	at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.writeAndFlush(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:895)
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel.writeAndFlush(AbstractChannel.java:240)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.simpleimpl.SimpleNetworkWrapper.sendToAllAround(SimpleNetworkWrapper.java:268)
	at org.blockartistry.DynSurround.network.Network.sendToAllAround(Network.java:128)
	at org.blockartistry.DynSurround.network.PacketPlaySound$PacketHandler.onMessage(PacketPlaySound.java:57)
	at org.blockartistry.DynSurround.network.PacketPlaySound$PacketHandler.onMessage(PacketPlaySound.java:1)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.simpleimpl.SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.channelRead0(SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.java:56)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.simpleimpl.SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.channelRead0(SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.java:36)
	at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:105)

The TargetPoint data used when doing the sendToAllAround() is embedded in the packet from the client.  Here is the packet handler:

public static class PacketHandler implements IMessageHandler<PacketPlaySound, IMessage> {
		@Override
		@Nullable
		public IMessage onMessage(@Nonnull final PacketPlaySound message, @Nullable final MessageContext ctx) {
			if (ctx.side == Side.CLIENT) {
				// Don't forward if it the current player sent it
				final EntityPlayer player = EnvironState.getPlayer();
				if (player != null && message.locus.entityId != player.getEntityId())
					Network.postEvent(new PlayDistributedSoundEvent(message.soundClass, message.nbt));
			} else {
				// No event - turn around quick and broadcast to necessary
				// clients. This should take place on a Netty thread.
				Network.sendToAllAround(message.locus, message);
			}
			return null;
		}
	}

"locus" is a the TargetPoint in the incoming packet.  Network.sendToAllAround() is a simple wrapper:

public static void sendToAllAround(@Nonnull final Locus point, @Nonnull final IMessage msg) {
		NETWORK.sendToAllAround(msg, point);
	}

And NETWORK is:

private static final SimpleNetworkWrapper NETWORK = NetworkRegistry.INSTANCE.newSimpleChannel(DSurround.MOD_ID);

So, how stable is it?  What is "DIMENSION expects an integer argument" telling me as a modder? 

EDIT:  Packet registrations in case it has bearing.  PacketPlaySound is registered both as a client-to-server message as well as server-to-client message:

public static void initialize() {

// Server -> Client messages
		NETWORK.registerMessage(PacketWeatherUpdate.PacketHandler.class, PacketWeatherUpdate.class, ++discriminator,
				Side.CLIENT);
		NETWORK.registerMessage(PacketHealthChange.PacketHandler.class, PacketHealthChange.class, ++discriminator,
				Side.CLIENT);
		NETWORK.registerMessage(PacketSpeechBubble.PacketHandler.class, PacketSpeechBubble.class, ++discriminator,
				Side.CLIENT);
		NETWORK.registerMessage(PacketEntityEmote.PacketHandler.class, PacketEntityEmote.class, ++discriminator,
				Side.CLIENT);
		NETWORK.registerMessage(PacketThunder.PacketHandler.class, PacketThunder.class, ++discriminator, Side.CLIENT);
		NETWORK.registerMessage(PacketEnvironment.PacketHandler.class, PacketEnvironment.class, ++discriminator,
				Side.CLIENT);
		NETWORK.registerMessage(PacketServerData.PacketHandler.class, PacketServerData.class, ++discriminator,
				Side.CLIENT);
		NETWORK.registerMessage(PacketDisplayFootprint.PacketHandler.class, PacketDisplayFootprint.class,
				++discriminator, Side.CLIENT);
		NETWORK.registerMessage(PacketPlaySound.PacketHandler.class, PacketPlaySound.class, ++discriminator,
				Side.CLIENT);

// Client -> Server messages
		NETWORK.registerMessage(PacketDisplayFootprint.PacketHandler.class, PacketDisplayFootprint.class,
				++discriminator, Side.SERVER);
		NETWORK.registerMessage(PacketPlaySound.PacketHandler.class, PacketPlaySound.class, ++discriminator,
				Side.SERVER);
	}

Edited by OreCruncher

OK - I have a theory.  What I think is happening is that the main server thread is trying to send the client a packet at the same time the server netty thread is doing routing.  One stomps on the other causing the channel to lose its mind.  I put in code to synchronize access to the channel and I haven't seen the issue reappear.  Keeping my fingers crossed.