If I just need to update a mod...

toad1000234

Some of you may have heard of MightyPork- he was a very talented modder as of about 1.2.5. Since then, he's left, and other people have taken charge of mods. MightyPork also released the SOURCES for his mods. Unfortunately, the source for the mod I wish to update (MagicWands) was written for ModloaderMP and 1.2.5. I don't know if I need to re-write it, but if not- can I just update it with Forge?

MagicWands is kind of like world edit, but a lot simpler. How difficult would it be to re-write this mod?

http://www.planetminecraft.com/mod/magicwands/ (Mod Page)

I also spoke with MightyPork, he says it would be fine for me to update it. I would really enjoy a quick reply, and if I do have to re-write it, a tutorial / link to a tutorial would be nice.

(And while you're at it, how do I use the hyperlink feature? I can't figure it out!!)

Ummm. I don't know much about updating mods, but I did have to update one of my mods. Forge does include ModLoader as far as I know, so you should have much problems there.

When I updated the only things that were wrong was all of the imports, but I found a simple solution and that is to go into each file and hover over one the imports that is wrong, if you look at the options that appear one should say 'Organize Imports' Click on that. There still may be some errors but that is fine.

Once you have done that Organize Imports for every file there should be some errors. These errors are caused by Mojang renaming some of their functions and variables. You will just have to find out what each one is (although there might be something on the wiki).

As for the hyperlink stuff, I don't know either.

Since the mod was for 1.2.5 there might be alot of errors and a re-write might be in order. When I converted from ModLoader to Forge I did have to re-write most of my code. Anyway have fun with the updating (if you still will do it).

No signature for you!

Depends, if you are really familiar with Java or C# it's not that hard, then all ya need to do is to understand how it works and recreate it with MCP 1.4.X and the Forge API's methods. Which should only be a matter of reading up on the API.

If on the other hand you don't know Java or for some other reason have no idea HOW and WHY the 1.2.5 code of the mod works...

It can get really hard. The 1.2.5 code is totally different from the 1.3.X+ code for Minecraft and therefore you can't copy the old code over and change some variables.

What you will need to do, is to recreate the mod inn the newest version of MCP w/forge from scratch.

Atleast I think that will be alot easier than to copy paste everything into forge and try to fix the errors you will be getting :)

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

Depends, if you are really familiar with Java or C# it's not that hard, then all ya need to do is to understand how it works and recreate it with MCP 1.4.X and the Forge API's methods. Which should only be a matter of reading up on the API.

If on the other hand you don't know Java or for some other reason have no idea HOW and WHY the 1.2.5 code of the mod works...

It can get really hard. The 1.2.5 code is totally different from the 1.3.X+ code for Minecraft and therefore you can't copy the old code over and change some variables.

What you will need to do, is to recreate the mod inn the newest version of MCP w/forge from scratch.

Atleast I think that will be alot easier than to copy paste everything into forge and try to fix the errors you will be getting :)

Yeah, I've got absolutely no experience with Java or C#. I just want to update the mod so I can use it (:  But the funny thing about this one is that you don't even need to unzip it to install (at least, when 1.2.5 was about) so I'm not sure how I would get the mod files to work with the minecraft.jar.