[SOLVED] Syncing config file changes into game GUI

Terrails

I have an in game GUI config and when I change something in game it automatically syncs it to the config file, but when I'm in game and I change something in config file, I can't see any changes in game until I reopen the game.

I know there is the OnConfigChangedEvent but that only works for GUI, is there some kind of event that tracks changes in the config file itself?

Edited by Terrails

so I just made an WatchService class which I start in my postInit because I think I don't need to start it earlier (I tried earlier but the same thing happens), the game just drastically slows down, its almost frozen when the WatchService is running. When I edit the config file it notifies me because I made it print on each config change, delete or making of new file in the directory. But the game really slows down, I cannot wait until it loads because its impossible, the ram usage is going up by 1 every 2-3 seconds and the Loading bar is not even moving, so it takes time for it to load.

This is the ConfigWatch class, it works because whenever I make an file, edit one or delete it it notifies me (I'll add config.save after I fix this problem):

Spoiler

public class ConfigWatch {

public static void testForConfigChange(Path myDir) {
        while (true) {
            try {
                WatchService watcher = myDir.getFileSystem().newWatchService();
                myDir.register(watcher,
                        StandardWatchEventKinds.ENTRY_CREATE,
                        StandardWatchEventKinds.ENTRY_DELETE,
                        StandardWatchEventKinds.ENTRY_MODIFY);

WatchKey watchKey = watcher.take();

List<WatchEvent<?>> events = watchKey.pollEvents();
                for (WatchEvent event : events) {
                    if (event.kind() == StandardWatchEventKinds.ENTRY_CREATE) {
                        System.out.println("Created: " + event.context().toString());
                    }
                    if (event.kind() == StandardWatchEventKinds.ENTRY_DELETE) {
                        System.out.println("Deleted: " + event.context().toString());
                    }
                    if (event.kind() == StandardWatchEventKinds.ENTRY_MODIFY) {
                        System.out.println("Modified: " + event.context().toString());
                    }
                }
            } catch (Exception e) {
                System.out.println("Error: " + e.toString());
            }
        }
    }
}

This is in my postInit of my mod class

Spoiler

Path myDir = Paths.get(System.getProperty("user.dir") + File.separator + "config" + File.separator + Constants.MODID + File.separator + "world");
        ConfigWatch.testForConfigChange(myDir);

I already tried the same code I have in postInit inside of preInit but the game still slows down.

EDIT:

I changed getting of directory from 

Path myDir = Paths.get(System.getProperty("user.dir") + File.separator + "config" + File.separator + Constants.MODID + File.separator + "world");

to (configCustomOreGenDir is a File which I use to make a directory and a file for my config)

Path myDir = Paths.get(configCustomOreGenDir.toString());

But still slows down the loading.

Edited by Terrails

I'm on windows 10, so I used getModConfigurationDirectory but still the same thing happens, the directory I entered before is correct too, it watches it correctly and notifies me of any changes in folder with print. The problem is to the game slows down, its almost frozen whenever WatchService starts to run.

This is the github repository:

Main mod class

The WatchService class

Config class if you need it

Edited by Terrails

3 hours ago, Terrails said:

The problem is to the game slows down, its almost frozen whenever WatchService starts to run.

Hm... I'm not quite sure how Windows has implemented such stuff, but the WatchService performance is OS dependent as it is quite low level code compared to normal Java:

JavaDoc:

[...] The registered process has a thread (or a pool of threads) dedicated to watching for any events it has registered for. When an event comes in, it is handled as needed. [...]

The WatchService API is fairly low level, allowing you to customize it. You can use it as is, or you can choose to create a high-level API on top of this mechanism so that it is suited to your particular needs. [...] The Watch Service API takes advantage of this support where available. However, when a file system does not support this mechanism, the Watch Service will poll the file system, waiting for events [...]

But what I read about it, correctly configured the WatchService should not cause such performance issues, so maybe you configured something in the WatchServices wrong.

Developer of Primeval Forest.

1 hour ago, Bektor said:

Hm... I'm not quite sure how Windows has implemented such stuff, but the WatchService performance is OS dependent as it is quite low level code compared to normal Java:

JavaDoc:

But what I read about it, correctly configured the WatchService should not cause such performance issues, so maybe you configured something in the WatchServices wrong.

I don't know what could be wrong, its printing to file has been changed/deleted/added but the game is just frozen (loads really slow, I wouldn't wait that much for it to load). Could you maybe test it in your own workspace to see if it does the same?

I was researching and found an question on Stack Overflow, looks like I needed to implement Runnable in my ConfigWatch class and use the run() method, than run the class in preInit with a Thread:

Path myDir = Paths.get(event.getModConfigurationDirectory() + File.separator + Constants.MODID);
new Thread(new ConfigWatch(myDir)).start();

And I just added Configuration#load() for each config file when its modified, looks like its working.

Edited by Terrails