[1.11.2] Error occurring when trying to create tool

1BowTiesAreCool1

Implicit super constructor ItemTool() is undefined for default constructor. Must define an explicit constructor

This error pops up in this code:

public class ItemStrangeTool extends ItemTool {

protected ItemStrangeTool(float attackDamageIn, float attackSpeedIn, ToolMaterial materialIn,
			Set<Block> effectiveBlocksIn) {
		super(attackDamageIn, attackSpeedIn, materialIn, effectiveBlocksIn);

}

}

How do I fix this?

Where is your 'new' expression, where you try to create an instance? Did you supply arguments?

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

1 hour ago, 1BowTiesAreCool1 said:

I don't know...

What's your XP level writing Java? Using other O-O languages?

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

package bowtiesarecool.coulored_lights.init;

import bowtiesarecool.coulored_lights.items.ItemStrangeDust;
import bowtiesarecool.coulored_lights.items.ItemStrangeTool;
import bowtiesarecool.coulored_lights.items.ItemWork;
import net.minecraft.client.Minecraft;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelResourceLocation;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry;

public class ModItems {

public static Item work;
	public static Item strange_dust;
	public static Item strange_tool;

public static void Init(){
		work = new ItemWork();
		strange_dust = new ItemStrangeDust();
		strange_tool = new ItemStrangeTool();
	}

public static void register() {
		GameRegistry.register(work);
		GameRegistry.register(strange_dust);
		GameRegistry.register(strange_tool);
	}

public static void registerRenders() {
		registerRender(work);
		registerRender(strange_dust);
		registerRender(strange_tool);
	}

private static void registerRender(Item item) {
		Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem().getItemModelMesher().register(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(item.getRegistryName(), "inventory"));
	}
}

The error occurs in

strange_tool = new ItemStrangeTool();

1 hour ago, 1BowTiesAreCool1 said:

private static void registerRender(Item item) { Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem().getItemModelMesher().register(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(item.getRegistryName(), "inventory")); }

I would suggest to add this little line of code above this method to ensure that it doesn't cause trouble on servers: @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)

Besides of that, I would really suggest you to learn Java as diesieben07 already told you. ;)

It will really help you with modding.

Developer of Primeval Forest.

23 hours ago, 1BowTiesAreCool1 said:

None, I'm completely new

Aha... Forge modding is a bad place to cut your programming milk teeth. That and this forum assumes Java proficiency so it can focus on the idiosyncrasies of Forge and Minecraft (which is plenty).

Please take at least one formal programming class that teaches an object-oriented language, and then study Java (e.g. read a book). You can do both at once if you can find a Java class.

When you come back in a few months, keep an online Java reference bookmark handy, and consult it on every mystery error before posting here.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 1BowTiesAreCool1 said:

I'm only in eight grade so there are no classes I can take:(

Ah, but you're close. Talk to an advisor before the end of the year. You may discover that there are opportunities that are not widely advertised. Find out what your school (or next year's school, or summer programs) can do for you.

My school can't do anything, so that's a downside. And I haven't heard about any kind of summer programs in my town, only summer school, which doesn't offer any programming as far as I know. I also begin in gymnasium(the swedish version of high school) in tenth grade. I'd love to learn it now and not wait until gymnasium.

In that case, team up with someone (friend, family member, friend's older sibling...) who has some programming experience. The help you need is more comprehensive and foundational than this forum's focus. In other words, you're missing a prerequisite for this course.

Edited by jeffryfisher

2 hours ago, 1BowTiesAreCool1 said:

My school can't do anything, so that's a downside. And I haven't heard about any kind of summer programs in my town, only summer school, which doesn't offer any programming as far as I know. I also begin in gymnasium(the swedish version of high school) in tenth grade. I'd love to learn it now and not wait until gymnasium.

If you want to learn it now and don't have any one to teach it to you etc., I would recommend you reading books and watching videos (if you can find some good videos). But even then, it takes a lot of time and research over the internet and self-training (and takes probably longer than with a good teacher).

Book I learned with:

Spoiler

If you know German (if you have luck, some of these books might be available in other languages, too)

Besides of that, I've got also a few other books which I read or where I read parts of it. ^^

Developer of Primeval Forest.