Potentialy stupid question

NulReference

ok so it seems like every time i fire up modded minecraft it "recompiles" all of the mods then launches takes upwards of 10 minutes for large packs....

why can it not check what mods are in the mods folder see no changes and instantly launch the already loaded\compiled version?

just seems like it could be quicker/cleaner if it saved the launchable state

It has nothing to do with compiling, there is no 'compiling' involved in starting mods.

Its nearly impossible to save the 'launchable state'. Well technically we could by making a snapshot of the JVM but that would make the game take up like 40GB on disc, and then you'd have 20 mins loading the snapshot. So it's not useful.

Its all on modders not doing stupid/slow things at start there isn't much we can do about it.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

they added 4 things!!! lol i just wish everything was faster.but then again my c2d 2.4 ghz loads as fast as my I7 monster. but such is the way of java i guess.

im sure the way minecraft is layers and layers of we should fix thiss bug but instead new features!! does not help

oiy! 2 edits just for spelling

Edited by NulReference

On 3/8/2017 at 11:19 PM, LexManos said:

Its all on modders not doing stupid/slow things at start there isn't much we can do about it.

...Like registering block and item models...

(Model baking is what takes up 90% of the vanilla launch time, and my experience is that adding mods adds more blocks and items and that's what takes 90% of each mod's launch time)

Edited by Draco18s

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

If that's the case we may be able to optimize some things it shouldn't be that long. The stitching is mostly file io time in all my tests which we can't really fix unless we thread it... but baking the models relies on those stitching...

accurate profiling is nessasary.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon