Naming Conventions 1.10.2 -> 1.12+ [SOLVED]

GregoriMarow

hi,

I have a litte question for block naming conventions. During early testing of a demomod I used "Examplemod" as the mod id, and encountered a minecraft forge warning that lower case modnames will be enforce at 1.12+.

Now I ask myself if this also belongs to block names?

In my tutorial demo they used "copperOre" for a demoblock. Now i have started to name my blocks, textures like with captital letters for every new word, so its good to read for me in the code: "StripeWhiteSideInnerCorner" can I keep that or should i take the vanilla way "stripe_white_side_inner_corner" (maybe to long? mcaadditions:stripe_white_side_inner_corner) or every thing together in small letters "stripewhitesideinnercorner" (Bad to read)?

Edited by GregoriMarow

10 minutes ago, GregoriMarow said:

During early testing of a demomod I used "Examplemod" as the mod id, and encountered a minecraft forge warning that lower case modnames will be enforce at 1.12+.

This has been enforced as long as I have been modding, and I have been modding since 1.7.10. It didn't just start now, just so you know.

1 minute ago, Awesome_Spider said:

This has been enforced as long as I have been modding, and I have been modding since 1.7.10. It didn't just start now, just so you know.

In 1.7.10 everybody said that you should do it, and now it wont work if you don't do it...

Classes: 94

Lines of code: 12173

Other files: 206

Github repo: https://github.com/KokkieBeer/DeGeweldigeMod

I was just remembering that thing and it was an example. The real question belongs to the block names. Anyway I am sure its not enforced in 1.7.10 because before I started to learn how to program mods by hand I used MCreator. They enforce Captital Letters (nobody knows why) for modid and it worked. The first time i mentioned that warning was in 1.10.2.

Just for explanation.

My question with the block names was answered by kookie and it looks like there is no length limitation.

In 1.11+, all resource file names must be lowercase and ResourceLocation coerces both the domain and path to lowercase.

1.10.2 allows you to have mixed-case resource file names and ResourceLocations, though the domain is still coerced to lowercase. I recommend using lowercase names anyway, since it will be easier to update to 1.11.2.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.