Adding an entity other than a player to a team.

SecondAmendment

Use Scoreboard#addPlayerToTeam to add an entity (not just a player) to a team. Pass the entity's UUID string (Entity#getCachedUniqueIdString) as the player argument.

If the team doesn't exist, you'll need to create it (Scoreboard#createTeam) before adding any entities to it.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

If you use the Scoreboard from the client World and enable glowing for the entity from EntityJoinWorldEvent, it will work without issue in single player and multiplayer.

You should generally treat single player and multiplayer identically. Usually if something works in single player but not multiplayer, you've tried to reach across logical sides.

Note that any changes to the team or its membership on the server side will overwrite the changes you've made on the client side.

Edited by Choonster

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

36 minutes ago, SecondAmendment said:

Is this right? http://prntscr.com/eco7c3 It didnt work on a server only singleplayer.

That should work, but I'd recommend using TextFormatting instead of hardcoding the formatting code in the prefix string. I'd also recommend only setting the prefix when you create the team.

Make sure you only add entities to the scoreboard on the client side (register the event handler from your client proxy or pass Side.CLIENT to @Mod.EventBusSubscriber [so it only runs on the physical client] and check that World#isRemote is true [so it only runs on the logical client]).

35 minutes ago, SecondAmendment said:

Also i cant use an entityjoinworldevent for what im trying to accomplish, because it constantly updates and i did make it @sideOnly(Side.CLIENT)

What are you trying to do?

• The method doesnt allow for TextFormatting, it takes in a string.
  • How would I do this  "register the event handler from your client proxy or pass Side.CLIENT to @Mod.EventBusSubscriber"?
  • Im not 100% sure if entityjoinworldevent will work, or why i would need to use it (do i?) but basically there are multiple mobs spawning in. I dont know if that is considered part of the entityjoinworldevent. Not only that, but I would have to use more getEntitiesWithinAABBExcludingEntity's to search through all of the mobs around the player and organize them according to their "rarity" if that makes sense.

I have the annotation @SideOnly() http://prntscr.com/ecopif

Edited by SecondAmendment

3 minutes ago, SecondAmendment said:
  • The method doesnt allow for TextFormatting, it takes in a string.

Call TextFormatting#toString to get the formatting code of a TextFormatting value.

• How would I do this  "register the event handler from your client proxy or pass Side.CLIENT to @Mod.EventBusSubscriber"?

If you're registering your event handler with EventBus#register, do it from the client proxy (or a client-only class called from it). If your mod is marked as client-only, you can reference client-only classes from anywhere and don't really need a proxy.

If you're registering your event handler with the @Mod.EventBusSubscriber annotation, pass Side.CLIENT to it as an argument so it's only registered on the physical client.

• Im not 100% sure if entityjoinworldevent will work, or why i would need to use it (do i?) but basically there are multiple mobs spawning in. I dont know if that is considered part of the entityjoinworldevent. Not only that, but I would have to use more getEntitiesWithinAABBExcludingEntity's to search through all of the mobs around the player and organize them according to their "rarity" if that makes sense.

EntityJoinWorldEvent is fired when an entity is added the world. It should work in any event.

Side note: Everything from the start of the quote in your second bullet point to the end of your post is formatted with a white background and black text, which looks quite ugly in the dark theme. I suggest you remove formatting when copying and pasting text into posts (or use Ctrl-Shift-V to paste without formatting).

33 minutes ago, SecondAmendment said:

Well, nvm, turns out it was just  the TextFormatting that was causing the issue, my SideOnly was correct, the issue was that it was appending gibberish to the prefix instead of the formatting, using TextFormatting.toString worked. Thank you good sir. RESOLVED!

Your file probably wasn't encoded in or compiled as UTF-8.