[Solved] Define inventory model in blockstates file

Jay Avery

Is it possible to define a model from its parent and textures (rather than just specifying the path to an existing model) inside the blockstates file? I have a block which uses a different block model based on a few states, and a special item model in the inventory (rather than just the standard inventory block model). I'm wondering if there's a way for me to define all of this within the blockstates file, instead of needing to make a separate item model. This is what I've tried so far, and the block models are working fine but in the inventory it's the purple-black checkered cube. Have I made a mistake with my formatting, or is it just not possible to do this way?

Spoiler

{
    "forge_marker": 1,
    "variants": {
        "facing=up": { "model": "jjmod:lights/candle_beeswax_up" },
        "facing=east": { "model": "jjmod:lights/candle_beeswax_side" },
        "facing=south": { "model": "jjmod:lights/candle_beeswax_side", "y": 90 },
        "facing=west": { "model": "jjmod:lights/candle_beeswax_side", "y": 180 },
        "facing=north": { "model": "jjmod:lights/candle_beeswax_side", "y": 270 },
        "inventory": [{
            "parent": "item/generated",
            "textures": {
                "layer0": "jjmod:items/candle_beeswax"
            }
        }]
    }
}

Edited by Jay Avery
Solved

8 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

"parent" is a key for a model file, not a variant in a blockstate json. You want to use "model" there and it should work.

With that change, the inventory model is now broken in a slightly different way:

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 17.45.26.png

The block models are still fine.

Edit: I have no idea what this thing with floating in front of the crosshair is, is that something from a recent update?!

Edited by Jay Avery

Sorry, the error for this was getting buried under all my other broken models so I wasn't able to see it at first. :D I've found the problem, it's automatically looking for the model in the block folder:

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: minecraft:models/block/item/generated.json

Is there any way to override that? I tried changing the string to "minecraft:item/generated" and "minecraft:models/item/generated", but it stills keeps looking inside the block folder.

Edit: I guess I could just make a copy of the item/generated file and put it in my own block folder?

Edit again: well, that method works! It feels like maybe it's bad practise to have an item model in the block folder, but I can't find another way to make it work, so..

Edited by Jay Avery

29 minutes ago, Jay Avery said:

Edit: I guess I could just make a copy of the item/generated file and put it in my own block folder?

Edit again: well, that method works! It feels like maybe it's bad practise to have an item model in the block folder, but I can't find another way to make it work, so..

That is both the only way AND the correct solution, as you have discovered.

• Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.