[1.10.2] Saving Energy in a tile entity

Denyol

Hey, so I've created a new tile entity with the `EnergyStorage` capability, however the capability does not provide a 

serializeNBT()

or 

.deserializeNBT()

method, so I'm unsure how I would save the stored energy? Do I need to subclass EnergyStorage?

Also now with the ItemStackHandler capability for inventorys, how do I synchronise a progress bar of the stored energy and the progress of my tile entity?

Edited by Denyol

The IStorage for the IEnergyStorage capability simply saves the stored energy as an NBTTagInt. Either use the IStorage or do the same thing yourself.

You can still use IContainerListener#sendProgressBarUpdate and Container#updateProgressBar to synchronise numeric data like stored energy and progress, you just can't use IContainerListener#sendAllWindowProperties. Alternatively, you can use your own packets.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

1 minute ago, Choonster said:

The IStorage for the IEnergyStorage capability simply saves the stored energy as an NBTTagInt. Either use the IStorage or do the same thing yourself.

You can still use IContainerListener#sendProgressBarUpdate and Container#updateProgressBar to synchronise numeric data like stored energy and progress, you just can't use IContainerListener#sendAllWindowProperties. Alternatively, you can use your own packets.

EnergyStorage and IEnergyStorage don't implement IStorage

Just now, Denyol said:

EnergyStorage and IEnergyStorage don't implement IStorage

Because IStorage is an unrelated interface for reading capabilities from and writing them to NBT. Use Capability#getStorage to get the IStorage of a Capability.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

1 minute ago, Choonster said:

Because IStorage is an unrelated interface for reading capabilities from and writing them to NBT. Use Capability#getStorage to get the IStorage of a Capability.

Thank you, but I'm unsure how I would use this in code?

I've tried adding Capability.IStorage<EnergyStorage>,  but that doesn't provide nbt saving, maybe I mis-understood.

10 minutes ago, Denyol said:

Thank you, but I'm unsure how I would use this in code?

I've tried adding Capability.IStorage<EnergyStorage>,  but that doesn't provide nbt saving, maybe I mis-understood.

Call Capability#getStorage on the IEnergyStorage Capability instance to get its IStorage instance, then call IStorage#writeNBT and IStorage#readNBT to write an IEnergyStorage to/read it from NBT.

You can get the Capability instance from the CapabilityEnergy.ENERGY field or create your own static field and annotate it with @CapabilityInject(IEnergyStorage.class).

Edited by Choonster
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Choonster said:

Call Capability#getStorage on the IEnergyStorage Capability instance to get its IStorage instance, then IStorage#writeNBT and IStorage#readNBT to write an IEnergyStorage to/read it from NBT.

You can get the Capability instance from the CapabilityEnergy.ENERGY field or create your own field and annotate it with @CapabilityInject(IEnergyStorage.class).

Hmm I'll try that, the writeNBT takes a side as a parameter, can I supply null?

*Edit* It appears null should be fine

Edited by Denyol