[1.11.2] Is using RegistryEvent this way ok?

Kriptikz

I'm brand new to modding and a noob programmer. I learned the old way to register blocks and items using GameRegistry.register() then I found out there is actually a new, better way to register blocks, items, and even models. The new way is to use RegistryEvents and I'm a sucker for new and better things so I tried to figure out how it works. My goal with this post is to see if anything I did can be done better and whether or not this is correct. Just because it works doesn't mean it's correct. I want to have a solid base before I build on it too much. Here is what I came up with:

RegistryEventHandler.java

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber
public class RegistryEventHandler
{
	@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerBlocks(RegistryEvent.Register<Block> event)
	{	
		event.getRegistry().registerAll(ModBlocks.BLOCKS);
		Utils.getLogger().info("Registered blocks");
	}

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerItems(RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event)
	{	
		event.getRegistry().registerAll(ModItems.ITEMS);

for (Block block : ModBlocks.BLOCKS)
		{
			event.getRegistry().register(new ItemBlock(block).setRegistryName(block.getRegistryName()));
		}

Utils.getLogger().info("Registered items");
	}

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerModels(ModelRegistryEvent event)
	{
		for (Block block: ModBlocks.BLOCKS)
		{
			ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(Item.getItemFromBlock(block), 0, new ModelResourceLocation(block.getRegistryName(), "inventory"));
		}

for (Item item: ModItems.ITEMS)
		{
			ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(item.getRegistryName(), "inventory"));
		}

Utils.getLogger().info("Registered models");
	}
}

ModBlocks.java

public class ModBlocks
{
	public static final Block[] BLOCKS = {
			new BlockTinOre("tin_ore", Material.ROCK),
			new BlockTinBlock("tin_block", Material.ROCK)
	};
}

ModItems.java

public class ModItems
{
	public static final Item[] ITEMS = {
			new ItemTinIngot("tin_ingot")
	};
}

BlockTinOre.java

public class BlockTinOre extends BlockBase
{

public BlockTinOre(String name, Material material)
	{
		super(name, material);
	}

}

BlockTinBlock.java

public class BlockTinBlock extends BlockBase
{
	public BlockTinBlock(String name, Material material)
	{
		super(name, material);
	}
}

BlockBase.java

public class BlockBase extends Block
{
	BlockBase(String name, Material material)
	{
		super(material);

this.setRegistryName(Reference.MODID, name);
		this.setUnlocalizedName(this.getRegistryName().toString());
	}
}

ItemTinIngot.java

public class ItemTinIngot extends ItemBase
{
	public ItemTinIngot(String name)
	{
		super(name);
	}
}

ItemBase.java

public class ItemBase extends Item
{
	ItemBase(String name)
	{
		this.setRegistryName(new ResourceLocation(Reference.MODID, name));
		this.setUnlocalizedName(this.getRegistryName().toString());
	}
}

Edited by Kriptikz
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Not sure if you have a question or anything. All I can say is: kudos to you for actually doing research and not blindly copying outdated terrible tutorials. :)

Thanks. I went through multiple iterations of this setup before I landed on this one. I edited my post to actually have a solid question. Basically I want a solid foundation before I start building and want to know if anything at all can be done better.

This is actually a good way to register blocks and items! I will probably switch to this in the future.

Also, is this 1.11 exclusive? 

Edited by Leomelonseeds
  • Like 1

Apparently I'm addicted to these forums and can't help but read all the posts. So if I somehow help you, please click the "Like This" button, it helps.

The later half of 1.10.2, at least.  I don't recall when it was first introduced.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

• 6 months later...

What is the import for Utils.getLogger().info(); ? It doesn't matter which one I import, I get a syntax error

"Can't resolve method 'getLogger()' "

Else do I need to make a class called 'Utils' and create a 'getLogger()' method?

I have never used a Logger so this is new to me.

21 minutes ago, JJ42001 said:

What is the import for Utils.getLogger().info(); ? It doesn't matter which one I import, I get a syntax error

"Can't resolve method 'getLogger()' "

Else do I need to make a class called 'Utils' and create a 'getLogger()' method?

I have never used a Logger so this is new to me.

This is custom class and method. Logger is not necessary.
If you want to make a logger like many modders do, create an object of type Logger (make sure to import one from log4j library, not java) and initialize it with LogManager#getLogger("mod's id or name") (again, make sure to use log4j one). Everyone usually does that in main class, or in utils.
Use logger#info() to log information, logger#warn() to log a warning, etc.

Edited by MrBendelScrolls
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JJ42001 said:

How would one go about rendering items with this method?

Hold on, let me quote the OP. Wait just one second...

On 2/12/2017 at 5:33 PM, Kriptikz said:

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerModels(ModelRegistryEvent event)
	{
		for (Block block: ModBlocks.BLOCKS)
		{
			ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(Item.getItemFromBlock(block), 0, new ModelResourceLocation(block.getRegistryName(), "inventory"));
		}

for (Item item: ModItems.ITEMS)
		{
			ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(item.getRegistryName(), "inventory"));
		}

Utils.getLogger().info("Registered models");
	}

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

That's what I thought, but when I run the game I get this:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5k1epp0wa70k0rs/AAAhuD1Qw5kOcc_Nhd9LBgjQa?dl=0

My model for the Steel Ingot is under: src/ main/ resources/ assets/ models/ item/ steel_ingot.json

And the texture: src/ main/ resources/ assets/ textures/ items/ steel_ingot.png

Edited by JJ42001

2 hours ago, JJ42001 said:

My model for the Steel Ingot is under: src/ main/ resources/ assets/ models/ item/ steel_ingot.json

And the texture: src/ main/ resources/ assets/ textures/ items/ steel_ingot.png

You need your mod ID as a folder between "assets" and "textures" / "models"

Log?

Spoiler

[11:55:17] [main/INFO]: Extra: []
[11:55:17] [main/INFO]: Running with arguments: [--userProperties, {}, --assetsDir, C:/Users/jj420/.gradle/caches/minecraft/assets, --assetIndex, 1.12, --accessToken{REDACTED}, --version, 1.12.1, --tweakClass, net.minecraftforge.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker, --tweakClass, net.minecraftforge.gradle.tweakers.CoremodTweaker]
[11:55:17] [main/INFO]: Loading tweak class name net.minecraftforge.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker
[11:55:17] [main/INFO]: Using primary tweak class name net.minecraftforge.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker
[11:55:17] [main/INFO]: Loading tweak class name net.minecraftforge.gradle.tweakers.CoremodTweaker
[11:55:17] [main/INFO]: Calling tweak class net.minecraftforge.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker
[11:55:17] [main/INFO]: Forge Mod Loader version 14.22.0.2462 for Minecraft 1.12.1 loading
[11:55:17] [main/INFO]: Java is Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM, version 1.8.0_144, running on Windows 10:amd64:10.0, installed at C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_144\jre
[11:55:17] [main/INFO]: Managed to load a deobfuscated Minecraft name- we are in a deobfuscated environment. Skipping runtime deobfuscation
[11:55:17] [main/INFO]: Ignoring missing certificate for coremod FMLCorePlugin (net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.FMLCorePlugin), we are in deobf and it's a forge core plugin
[11:55:17] [main/INFO]: Ignoring missing certificate for coremod FMLForgePlugin (net.minecraftforge.classloading.FMLForgePlugin), we are in deobf and it's a forge core plugin
[11:55:18] [main/INFO]: Calling tweak class net.minecraftforge.gradle.tweakers.CoremodTweaker
[11:55:18] [main/INFO]: Injecting location in coremod net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.FMLCorePlugin
[11:55:18] [main/INFO]: Injecting location in coremod net.minecraftforge.classloading.FMLForgePlugin
[11:55:18] [main/INFO]: Loading tweak class name net.minecraftforge.fml.common.launcher.FMLInjectionAndSortingTweaker
[11:55:18] [main/INFO]: Loading tweak class name net.minecraftforge.fml.common.launcher.FMLDeobfTweaker
[11:55:18] [main/INFO]: Loading tweak class name net.minecraftforge.gradle.tweakers.AccessTransformerTweaker
[11:55:18] [main/INFO]: Calling tweak class net.minecraftforge.fml.common.launcher.FMLInjectionAndSortingTweaker
[11:55:18] [main/INFO]: Calling tweak class net.minecraftforge.fml.common.launcher.FMLInjectionAndSortingTweaker
[11:55:18] [main/INFO]: Calling tweak class net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.CoreModManager$FMLPluginWrapper
[11:55:24] [main/ERROR]: FML appears to be missing any signature data. This is not a good thing
[11:55:24] [main/INFO]: Calling tweak class net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.CoreModManager$FMLPluginWrapper
[11:55:24] [main/INFO]: Calling tweak class net.minecraftforge.fml.common.launcher.FMLDeobfTweaker
[11:55:26] [main/INFO]: Calling tweak class net.minecraftforge.gradle.tweakers.AccessTransformerTweaker
[11:55:26] [main/INFO]: Loading tweak class name net.minecraftforge.fml.common.launcher.TerminalTweaker
[11:55:26] [main/INFO]: Calling tweak class net.minecraftforge.fml.common.launcher.TerminalTweaker
[11:55:26] [main/INFO]: Launching wrapped minecraft {net.minecraft.client.main.Main}
[11:55:30] [main/INFO]: Setting user: Player161
[11:55:44] [main/WARN]: Skipping bad option: lastServer:
[11:55:44] [main/INFO]: LWJGL Version: 2.9.4
[11:55:46] [main/INFO]: -- System Details --
Details:
    Minecraft Version: 1.12.1
    Operating System: Windows 10 (amd64) version 10.0
    Java Version: 1.8.0_144, Oracle Corporation
    Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
    Memory: 405960472 bytes (387 MB) / 564133888 bytes (538 MB) up to 2609905664 bytes (2489 MB)
    JVM Flags: 0 total;
    IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0
    FML:
    Loaded coremods (and transformers):
    GL info: ' Vendor: 'ATI Technologies Inc.' Version: '4.5.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 15.201.1101.1008' Renderer: 'AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics'
[11:55:46] [main/INFO]: MinecraftForge v14.22.0.2462 Initialized
[11:55:46] [main/INFO]: Starts to replace vanilla recipe ingredients with ore ingredients.
[11:55:46] [main/INFO]: Replaced 1036 ore ingredients
[11:55:48] [main/INFO]: Found 0 mods from the command line. Injecting into mod discoverer
[11:55:48] [main/INFO]: Searching C:\Users\jj420\Desktop\pds\run\mods for mods
[11:55:49] [Thread-3/INFO]: Using sync timing. 200 frames of Display.update took 261438187 nanos
[11:55:51] [main/INFO]: Forge Mod Loader has identified 5 mods to load
[11:55:52] [main/INFO]: Attempting connection with missing mods [minecraft, mcp, FML, forge, isdevpds] at CLIENT
[11:55:52] [main/INFO]: Attempting connection with missing mods [minecraft, mcp, FML, forge, isdevpds] at SERVER
[11:55:55] [main/INFO]: Reloading ResourceManager: Default, FMLFileResourcePack:Forge Mod Loader, FMLFileResourcePack:Minecraft Forge, FMLFileResourcePack:Personal Defence System
[11:55:55] [main/INFO]: Processing ObjectHolder annotations
[11:55:55] [main/INFO]: Found 1168 ObjectHolder annotations
[11:55:56] [main/INFO]: Identifying ItemStackHolder annotations
[11:55:56] [main/INFO]: Found 0 ItemStackHolder annotations
[11:55:56] [main/INFO]: Configured a dormant chunk cache size of 0
[11:55:56] [Forge Version Check/INFO]: [forge] Starting version check at http://files.minecraftforge.net/maven/net/minecraftforge/forge/promotions_slim.json
[11:55:56] [main/INFO]: Initialize
[11:55:56] [main/INFO]: Pre Initialize
[11:55:56] [main/INFO]: Registered blocks
[11:55:56] [main/INFO]: Applying holder lookups
[11:55:56] [main/INFO]: Holder lookups applied
[11:55:56] [main/INFO]: Registered items
[11:55:56] [Forge Version Check/INFO]: [forge] Found status: BETA_OUTDATED Target: 14.22.0.2467
[11:55:57] [main/INFO]: Registered models
[11:55:57] [main/INFO]: Applying holder lookups
[11:55:57] [main/INFO]: Holder lookups applied
[11:55:57] [main/INFO]: Injecting itemstacks
[11:55:57] [main/INFO]: Itemstack injection complete
[11:56:07] [Sound Library Loader/INFO]: Starting up SoundSystem...
[11:56:07] [Thread-5/INFO]: Initializing LWJGL OpenAL
[11:56:07] [Thread-5/INFO]: (The LWJGL binding of OpenAL.  For more information, see http://www.lwjgl.org)
[11:56:07] [Thread-5/INFO]: OpenAL initialized.
[11:56:07] [Sound Library Loader/INFO]: Sound engine started
[11:56:26] [main/INFO]: Max texture size: 16384
[11:56:28] [main/INFO]: Created: 512x512 textures-atlas
[11:56:34] [main/ERROR]: Exception loading model for variant isdevpds:steel_ingot#inventory for item "isdevpds:steel_ingot", normal location exception:
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model isdevpds:item/steel_ingot with loader VanillaLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:153) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadItemModels(ModelLoader.java:297) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadVariantItemModels(ModelBakery.java:175) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.setupModelRegistry(ModelLoader.java:160) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelManager.onResourceManagerReload(ModelManager.java:28) [ModelManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.registerReloadListener(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:121) [SimpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.init(Minecraft.java:554) [Minecraft.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:416) [Minecraft.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:118) [Main.class:?]
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_144]
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_144]
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_144]
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_144]
    at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
    at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_144]
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_144]
    at net.minecraftforge.gradle.GradleStartCommon.launch(GradleStartCommon.java:97) [start/:?]
    at GradleStart.main(GradleStart.java:26) [start/:?]
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: isdevpds:models/item/steel_ingot.json
    at net.minecraft.client.resources.FallbackResourceManager.getResource(FallbackResourceManager.java:69) ~[FallbackResourceManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.getResource(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:65) ~[SimpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadModel(ModelBakery.java:334) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.access$1600(ModelLoader.java:126) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader$VanillaLoader.loadModel(ModelLoader.java:933) ~[ModelLoader$VanillaLoader.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:149) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
    ... 20 more
[11:56:34] [main/ERROR]: Exception loading model for variant isdevpds:steel_ingot#inventory for item "isdevpds:steel_ingot", blockstate location exception:
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model isdevpds:steel_ingot#inventory with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:153) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadItemModels(ModelLoader.java:305) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadVariantItemModels(ModelBakery.java:175) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.setupModelRegistry(ModelLoader.java:160) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelManager.onResourceManagerReload(ModelManager.java:28) [ModelManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.registerReloadListener(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:121) [SimpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
    at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.gradle.GradleStartCommon.launch(GradleStartCommon.java:97) [start/:?]
Caused by: net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition$MissingVariantException
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition.getVariant(ModelBlockDefinition.java:83) ~[ModelBlockDefinition.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader$VariantLoader.loadModel(ModelLoader.java:1242) ~[ModelLoader$VariantLoader.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:149) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
    ... 20 more
[11:56:34] [main/ERROR]: Exception loading model for variant isdevpds:steel_block#inventory for item "isdevpds:steel_block", normal location exception:
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model isdevpds:item/steel_block with loader VanillaLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadItemModels(ModelLoader.java:297) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: isdevpds:models/item/steel_block.json
    at net.minecraft.client.resources.FallbackResourceManager.getResource(FallbackResourceManager.java:69) ~[FallbackResourceManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.getResource(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:65) ~[SimpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadModel(ModelBakery.java:334) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.access$1600(ModelLoader.java:126) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader$VanillaLoader.loadModel(ModelLoader.java:933) ~[ModelLoader$VanillaLoader.class:?]
    ... 20 more
[11:56:34] [main/ERROR]: Exception loading model for variant isdevpds:steel_block#inventory for item "isdevpds:steel_block", blockstate location exception:
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model isdevpds:steel_block#inventory with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadItemModels(ModelLoader.java:305) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
Caused by: net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition$MissingVariantException
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition.getVariant(ModelBlockDefinition.java:83) ~[ModelBlockDefinition.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader$VariantLoader.loadModel(ModelLoader.java:1242) ~[ModelLoader$VariantLoader.class:?]
    ... 20 more
[11:56:34] [main/ERROR]: Exception loading blockstate for the variant isdevpds:steel_block#inventory:
java.lang.Exception: Could not load model definition for variant isdevpds:steel_block
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.getModelBlockDefinition(ModelLoader.java:266) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadBlock(ModelBakery.java:121) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadBlocks(ModelLoader.java:221) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.setupModelRegistry(ModelLoader.java:159) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Encountered an exception when loading model definition of model isdevpds:blockstates/steel_block.json
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadMultipartMBD(ModelBakery.java:228) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.getModelBlockDefinition(ModelBakery.java:208) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.getModelBlockDefinition(ModelLoader.java:262) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
    ... 20 more
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: isdevpds:blockstates/steel_block.json
    at net.minecraft.client.resources.FallbackResourceManager.getAllResources(FallbackResourceManager.java:104) ~[FallbackResourceManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.getAllResources(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:79) ~[SimpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadMultipartMBD(ModelBakery.java:221) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.getModelBlockDefinition(ModelBakery.java:208) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.getModelBlockDefinition(ModelLoader.java:262) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
    ... 20 more
[11:56:34] [main/ERROR]: Exception loading model for variant isdevpds:steel_block#normal for blockstate "isdevpds:steel_block"
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model isdevpds:steel_block#normal with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.registerVariant(ModelLoader.java:233) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadBlock(ModelBakery.java:153) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadBlocks(ModelLoader.java:221) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.setupModelRegistry(ModelLoader.java:159) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
    ... 21 more
[11:56:38] [main/INFO]: Applying holder lookups
[11:56:38] [main/INFO]: Holder lookups applied
[11:56:38] [main/INFO]: Injecting itemstacks
[11:56:38] [main/INFO]: Itemstack injection complete
[11:56:38] [main/INFO]: Post Initialize
[11:56:39] [main/INFO]: Forge Mod Loader has successfully loaded 5 mods
[11:56:39] [main/WARN]: Skipping bad option: lastServer:
[11:56:39] [main/INFO]: Narrator library for x64 successfully loaded
[11:56:45] [Realms Notification Availability checker #1/INFO]: Could not authorize you against Realms server: Invalid session id
[11:56:46] [Server thread/INFO]: Starting integrated minecraft server version 1.12.1
[11:56:46] [Server thread/INFO]: Generating keypair
[11:56:46] [Server thread/INFO]: Injecting existing registry data into this server instance
[11:56:46] [Server thread/INFO]: Applying holder lookups
[11:56:46] [Server thread/INFO]: Holder lookups applied
[11:56:47] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading dimension 0 (Test) (net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer@423e8261)
[11:56:48] [Server thread/INFO]: Loaded 488 advancements
[11:56:48] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading dimension 1 (Test) (net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer@423e8261)
[11:56:49] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading dimension -1 (Test) (net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer@423e8261)
[11:56:49] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing start region for level 0
[11:56:50] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 1%
[11:56:51] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 97%
[11:56:51] [Server thread/INFO]: Changing view distance to 12, from 10
[11:56:57] [Netty Local Client IO #0/INFO]: Server protocol version 2
[11:56:57] [Netty Server IO #1/INFO]: Client protocol version 2
[11:56:57] [Netty Server IO #1/INFO]: Client attempting to join with 5 mods : minecraft@1.12.1,FML@8.0.99.99,forge@14.22.0.2462,isdevpds@1.0 dev,mcp@9.19
[11:56:57] [Netty Local Client IO #0/INFO]: [Netty Local Client IO #0] Client side modded connection established
[11:56:57] [Server thread/INFO]: [Server thread] Server side modded connection established
[11:56:57] [Server thread/INFO]: Player161[local:E:d14543f8] logged in with entity id 113 at (-660.1143208237014, 4.0, 559.4467215627365)
[11:56:57] [Server thread/INFO]: Player161 joined the game
[11:57:01] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving and pausing game...
[11:57:01] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/overworld
[11:57:01] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/the_nether
[11:57:01] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/the_end
[11:57:02] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 5618ms behind, skipping 112 tick(s)
[11:57:05] [pool-2-thread-1/WARN]: Couldn't look up profile properties for com.mojang.authlib.GameProfile@74f1e274[id=bce7419c-5709-3ee4-a73f-d19725fe2893,name=Player161,properties={},legacy=false]
com.mojang.authlib.exceptions.AuthenticationException: The client has sent too many requests within a certain amount of time
    at com.mojang.authlib.yggdrasil.YggdrasilAuthenticationService.makeRequest(YggdrasilAuthenticationService.java:79) ~[YggdrasilAuthenticationService.class:?]
    at com.mojang.authlib.yggdrasil.YggdrasilMinecraftSessionService.fillGameProfile(YggdrasilMinecraftSessionService.java:180) [YggdrasilMinecraftSessionService.class:?]
    at com.mojang.authlib.yggdrasil.YggdrasilMinecraftSessionService$1.load(YggdrasilMinecraftSessionService.java:60) [YggdrasilMinecraftSessionService$1.class:?]
    at com.mojang.authlib.yggdrasil.YggdrasilMinecraftSessionService$1.load(YggdrasilMinecraftSessionService.java:57) [YggdrasilMinecraftSessionService$1.class:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LoadingValueReference.loadFuture(LocalCache.java:3716) [guava-21.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.loadSync(LocalCache.java:2424) [guava-21.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.lockedGetOrLoad(LocalCache.java:2298) [guava-21.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.get(LocalCache.java:2211) [guava-21.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache.get(LocalCache.java:4154) [guava-21.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache.getOrLoad(LocalCache.java:4158) [guava-21.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalLoadingCache.get(LocalCache.java:5147) [guava-21.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalLoadingCache.getUnchecked(LocalCache.java:5153) [guava-21.0.jar:?]
    at com.mojang.authlib.yggdrasil.YggdrasilMinecraftSessionService.fillProfileProperties(YggdrasilMinecraftSessionService.java:170) [YggdrasilMinecraftSessionService.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.getProfileProperties(Minecraft.java:3172) [Minecraft.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.resources.SkinManager$3.run(SkinManager.java:138) [SkinManager$3.class:?]
    at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) [?:1.8.0_144]
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:1.8.0_144]
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:1.8.0_144]
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_144]
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_144]
[11:57:08] [main/INFO]: Warning: Clientside chunk ticking took 109 ms
[11:57:21] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] isdevpds:steel_block, isdevpds:steel_ingot
[11:57:22] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] isdevpds:steel_block, isdevpds:steel_ingot
[11:57:25] [Server thread/INFO]: [Player161: Given [item.isdevpds:steel_ingot.name] * 1 to Player161]
[11:57:25] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] Given [item.isdevpds:steel_ingot.name] * 1 to Player161
[11:57:39] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving and pausing game...
[11:57:39] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/overworld
[11:57:39] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/the_nether
[11:57:39] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/the_end
[11:58:56] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving and pausing game...
[11:58:56] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/overworld
[11:58:57] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/the_nether
[11:58:57] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/the_end
[11:58:58] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] Saved screenshot as 2017-09-01_11.58.58.png
[11:59:21] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] Saved screenshot as 2017-09-01_11.59.21.png
[11:59:28] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving and pausing game...
[11:59:29] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/overworld
[11:59:29] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/the_nether
[11:59:29] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/the_end
[12:04:26] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving and pausing game...
[12:04:27] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/overworld
[12:04:27] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/the_nether
[12:04:27] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/the_end
[13:22:09] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving and pausing game...
[13:22:09] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/overworld
[13:22:10] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/the_nether
[13:22:10] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/the_end
[13:22:11] [main/INFO]: Stopping!
[13:22:11] [Server thread/INFO]: Stopping server
[13:22:11] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving players
[13:22:11] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving worlds
[13:22:11] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/overworld
[13:22:11] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/the_nether
[13:22:11] [Server thread/INFO]: Saving chunks for level 'Test'/the_end
[13:22:11] [Server thread/INFO]: Unloading dimension 0
[13:22:11] [Server thread/INFO]: Unloading dimension -1
[13:22:11] [Server thread/INFO]: Unloading dimension 1
[13:22:11] [main/INFO]: SoundSystem shutting down...
[13:22:12] [Server thread/INFO]: Applying holder lookups
[13:22:12] [Server thread/INFO]: Holder lookups applied
[13:22:12] [main/WARN]: Author: Paul Lamb, www.paulscode.com

Here's the latest log.

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: isdevpds:models/item/steel_ingot.json
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: isdevpds:blockstates/steel_block.json
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: isdevpds:models/item/steel_block.json

2 hours ago, HalestormXV said:

This is a really clean and nice way to do registereing. I may switch to it myself. But would you need to add a new method for Items with Metadata? At least model/texture wise? Or edit those regiser models to cycle through meta data as well?

What you're looking at is the only way to register blocks and items right now. And it's the raw basics of it. There's no differentiation between how blocks and items need to be handled (variants, IStateMapper, custom MeshDefinition...)

If you want something with a little more nuance, check out my EasyRegistry classes:

https://github.com/Draco18s/ReasonableRealism/blob/1.12.1/src/main/java/com/draco18s/hardlib/EasyRegistry.java

https://github.com/Draco18s/ReasonableRealism/blob/1.12.1/src/main/java/com/draco18s/hardlib/client/ClientEasyRegistry.java

Note that the classes are both proxy and event handler.