Loading textures, models, and translations on the fly....

Socratic_Phoenix

I think this idea shouldn't be impossible, but my research so far seems to indicate that it is... Basically, every time a new world is created, I want to create 10 or so new textures, load them up, and start generating their ores in the world. There is, of course, a lot of stuff that has to come together to make this possible... I've already implemented a system to generate every necessary texture, and one to create the items and whatnot (though, nothing is linked together yet). Now, I'm about to move on to trying to load the textures, armor models, and translations, but it seems... difficult.  As far as I can tell, textures are stitched at the start of the game, however, since resource packs can be loaded at any time, I believe it would be feasible to re-load (and add) textures before/as soon as a player enters the world. Problem is, I have no idea how to load these textures. I believe I could use FolderResourcePack, but I'm not 100% sure. Translations, I believe, are also loaded at the start of the game, but again, since languages can be changed, I believe it would be feasible to load them dynamically before/as soon as a player enters the world, but again, I have no idea how. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions for my predicament (or knows if this task is even possible), please help! Thanks for any replies!

(Also, side note, but would it be possible to create a different creative tab for each world? Maybe? That'd be awesome...)

Developer of Randores (adds 256^3 ores to the game) and Arcane Bags (adds ridiculous storage with ridiculous crafting recipes).

I know Java pretty well... So yeah...

This is where I'd put an inspirational and/or clever quote, but I can't think of one right now...

This is the output of the totally, 100% working compiler for my programming language, Planet9:

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!
planet9.compiler.error.CompilationException: Compiler not yet implemented
	at planet9.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:39)
	at planet9.compiler.app.CompilerApp.main(CompilerApp.java:147)

I think this could be accomplished with a custom TextureAtlasSprite class and you'd re-use the same 10 (or however many) textures for these blocks/items and just swap out what's actually there based on the world seed.  I'm not sure the sprite class has access to the world information, but you could probably hack something together.

Reloading based on refreshing texture pack (and forcing a refresh) is likely the way to go, as well.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

8 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

I think this could be accomplished with a custom TextureAtlasSprite class and you'd re-use the same 10 (or however many) textures for these blocks/items and just swap out what's actually there based on the world seed.  I'm not sure the sprite class has access to the world information, but you could probably hack something together.

Reloading based on refreshing texture pack (and forcing a refresh) is likely the way to go, as well.

I'm looking at the TextureAtlasSprite class and... well it's terrifying. I don't quite understand exactly what's going on, but it looks like the class defines, renders, and handles a texture snipped from a texture sheet. If that's the case, what would I want to override to get the custom behavior? Also, would the same technique work for armor models (and, assuming it won't, is there some similar thing I could do to work with armor)? (Also, thanks for the reply!).

I haven't done a lot of stuff with forge, just a mod or two that added some ores... I don't know all its ins and outs yet... so... I've never heard of the TextureAtlasSprite before... 

Developer of Randores (adds 256^3 ores to the game) and Arcane Bags (adds ridiculous storage with ridiculous crafting recipes).

This is where I'd put an inspirational and/or clever quote, but I can't think of one right now...

This is the output of the totally, 100% working compiler for my programming language, Planet9:

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

The class is responsible for loading a texture and adding it to the sprite sheet.

The method to override is the load method.  Mind, it can get complicated.

For example, I had one in 1.7.10 that would take two textures out of the assets directory and merge them into a single texture.

https://github.com/Draco18s/HarderStuff/blob/master/src/main/java/com/draco18s/hardlib/client/TextureAtlasDynamic.java#L53

rawBase is the texture (rawOverlay being the second) represented as a 1 dimensional array of integers (each integer being a single pixel, the value representing color).

aint is the 2D array for each mipmap version of the texture.  I didn't do anything about downscaling, I just shoved the combined texture into each index. (Not good practice, but I wasn't really sure what I was doing and just wanted something that worked).

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

12 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

The class is responsible for loading a texture and adding it to the sprite sheet.

The method to override is the load method.  Mind, it can get complicated.

For example, I had one in 1.7.10 that would take two textures out of the assets directory and merge them into a single texture.

https://github.com/Draco18s/HarderStuff/blob/master/src/main/java/com/draco18s/hardlib/client/TextureAtlasDynamic.java#L53

rawBase is the texture (rawOverlay being the second) represented as a 1 dimensional array of integers (each integer being a single pixel, the value representing color).

aint is the 2D array for each mipmap version of the texture.  I didn't do anything about downscaling, I just shoved the combined texture into each index. (Not good practice, but I wasn't really sure what I was doing and just wanted something that worked).

Ah okay, much less daunting now... So, basically, I'd check the resource location and supply the appropriate texture data?

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

Essentially.

Mind, if you f*ck something up, Minecraft will crash deep in the texture sheet code and it's very hard to diagnose back to your custom TAS.

9 hours ago, Draco18s said:

Essentially.

Mind, if you f*ck something up, Minecraft will crash deep in the texture sheet code and it's very hard to diagnose back to your custom TAS.

Okay, I've got an implementation, albeit a completely unfinished one, which allows a changing texture... But I've got a few questions:

• The Sprite is for blocks? Items? Both?
  • The 2d data array, each index is a "full" texture, but progressively downscaled by a factor of 2? How many of these textures should I store (how long is the 2d data array)?
  • How does the ResourceLocation parameter play into the load class? Does one AtlasSprite handle a bunch of ResourceLocations, or just one?
  • When you say have x number of predefined textures that change to suit my needs, how exactly would I go about implementing that? Do I somehow register a bunch of atlas sprites, and then change them whenever I need too? Speaking of which, how would I go about registering the atlas sprite?

I'm going to continue looking through the code you posted for 1.7.10, and I'll try to answer some of my own questions, but still, please help :)

Edit:

I did some codingz... I'm not sure if it's correct, but it'd be great if someone could look it over. The whole repo is here:

https://github.com/SocraticPhoenix/Randores, the sprite impl is here: https://github.com/SocraticPhoenix/Randores/blob/master/src/main/java/com/gmail/socraticphoenix/forge/randore/texture/FlexibleAtlasSprite.java, and registration happens here: https://github.com/SocraticPhoenix/Randores/blob/master/src/main/java/com/gmail/socraticphoenix/forge/randore/RandoreClientProxy.java. I'm most concerned about the registration... I don't think I'm doing it right.

Edited by Socratic_Phoenix

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

Size of the 2D array:

https://github.com/Draco18s/HarderStuff/blob/master/src/main/java/com/draco18s/hardlib/client/TextureAtlasDynamic.java#L118

And the mips might be calculated for you by another class, I don't remember.  I just know that my code doesn't do any downscaling (other than to make the two input textures the same size).

Items/Blocks: no idea, probably both.  Items you can do more easily another way, though.

How does the ResourceLocation parameter play into the load class? Does one AtlasSprite handle a bunch of ResourceLocations, or just one?

One class can handle a bunch of resource locations, or one, depending on what you're doing and how you're doing it.  As you can see, a ResourceLocation is passed to the Load method, indicating what texture should be loaded (you'll also notice my code ignores it, and uses strings passed to the constructor).

When you say have x number of predefined textures that change to suit my needs, how exactly would I go about implementing that?

Well you're doing world-specific items and blocks, right? Which means that somewhere else in your code you're defining how many and what they are.  Just give each a unique ID (this ID is shared between worlds and is just a reference to "this one is the first one, this one is the second one...") that acts as that item's resource location, so you can re-use spots in the texture sheet.

29 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Well you're doing world-specific items and blocks, right?

That's exactly what I'm doing

30 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Just give each a unique ID (this ID is shared between worlds and is just a reference to "this one is the first one, this one is the second one...") that acts as that item's resource location, so you can re-use spots in the texture sheet.

Like this? https://github.com/SocraticPhoenix/Randores/blob/master/src/main/java/com/gmail/socraticphoenix/forge/randore/RandoreClientProxy.java#L35

Also, how feasible is having large numbers of textures? Like, how much memory/ram does each sprite take up? Could I predefine 100? 500? 1,000?

31 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Items you can do more easily another way, though.

Like, how? (I'll do some research myself too, but I've looked around A LOT and can't find anything. It's easy enough to change the texture of an item, like with compasses or clocks or whatever, but I also want to change the ToolMaterial, speed, and damage of axes/hoes/shovels/etc).

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

Items using NBT can display multiple textures, I have an example here, the same could be done for your items without the need for NBT just using the world info.

I can't really speak to your particular implementation, I can't run it and only have an idea of how to go about doing it. You shouldn't use the same two-string constructor I do, you're not using two textures -> one. You're doing something else.  I assume.  Just pass in whatever data you need in order to generate your textures. For me it was two resource locations.

As for how many textures...no idea.

Edited by Draco18s

1 hour ago, Draco18s said:

Items using NBT can display multiple textures, I have an example here, the same could be done for your items without the need for NBT just using the world info.

I can't really speak to your particular implementation, I can't run it and only have an idea of how to go about doing it. You shouldn't use the same two-string constructor I do, you're not using two textures -> one. You're doing something else.  I assume.  Just pass in whatever data you need in order to generate your textures. For me it was two resource locations.

Okay, I've come up with a system I want to use... Basically, I'm going to generate ~600 "flexible" blocks, register them all, and then change their properties and texture depending on the world. I'll do the same with items too, but first, blocks. So far, I've been unable to "link" the block to the texture. I generate all the sprites, and then register them with the TextureMap from Minecraft.getMinecraft().getTextureMapBlocks(). This is the code I'm using to register:

@Override
    public void init() {
        super.init();
        TextureMap map = Minecraft.getMinecraft().getTextureMapBlocks();
        Logger logger = Randores.getInstance().getLogger();
        logger.info("Generating FlexibleAtlasSprites...");
        for (int i = 0; i < 600; i++) {
            FlexibleAtlasSprite sprite = new FlexibleAtlasSprite(Randores.textureName(i), "test");
            TextureRegistry.register(sprite);
            map.setTextureEntry(sprite);
        }
        logger.info("Finished generating FlexibleAtlasSprites.");

}

Randores.textureName returns "randores.block." + i. TextureRegistry just holds a list of the textures for my future use....

I feel like I must be missing something, as the console displays the below error:

[16:32:19] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]: +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
[16:32:19] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]: The following texture errors were found.
[16:32:19] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]: ==================================================
[16:32:19] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]:   DOMAIN randores
[16:32:19] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]: --------------------------------------------------
[16:32:19] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]:   domain randores is missing 600 textures
[16:32:19] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]:     domain randores has 1 location:
[16:32:19] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]:       unknown resourcepack type net.minecraft.client.resources.LegacyV2Adapter : FMLFileResourcePack:Socratic_Phoenix's Randores
[16:32:19] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]: -------------------------
[16:32:19] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]:     The missing resources for domain randores are:
[16:32:19] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]:       textures/blocks/randores.block.91.png
[16:32:19] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]:       textures/blocks/randores.block.75.png
[16:32:20] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]:       textures/blocks/randores.block.56.png
[16:32:20] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]: -------------------------
[16:32:20] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]:     No other errors exist for domain randores
[16:32:20] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]: ==================================================
[16:32:20] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]: +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

(I cut out the other 567 texture error notes, but "The missing resources for domain randores are:" includes all 600 blocks.

How do I make the blocks actually display the proper texture?

Edit:

I. FEEL. SUCCESSFUL.

2017-02-12_17_43_43.png.f8b120c9c600027fc3d770c5fe5792d5.png

Okay, I got the texture atlas to link to the block and the item and I've got the models working and it's all pretty and stuff! I'm gonna do some testing with changing the textures on world load, but I do have one more question: How do I trigger a texture reload?

Edited by Socratic_Phoenix

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

On 2/12/2017 at 3:48 PM, Draco18s said:

Okay, this is going to sound strange, but... my textures are too powerful...

I decided to add some consistent blocks, alongside the dynamic ones... and... well... they're taking up the textures registered for the dynamic blocks. I have no idea why. I've tried setting the consistent ones to use one of the dynamic textures, set to they're texture, and I print out during loading what textures are loaded for what blocks, and it says it's loading the correct texture, but... it doesn't. I am 100% stumped. I don't understand how this is even possible! IT. MAKES. NO. SENSE. I JUST MUST BE GOING CRAZY.

Texture code: https://github.com/SocraticPhoenix/Randores/tree/master/src/main/java/com/gmail/socraticphoenix/forge/randore/texture

Item/Block registration:

https://github.com/SocraticPhoenix/Randores/blob/master/src/main/java/com/gmail/socraticphoenix/forge/randore/RandoresRegister.java

Texture Registration:

https://github.com/SocraticPhoenix/Randores/blob/master/src/main/java/com/gmail/socraticphoenix/forge/randore/RandoresTextureListener.java

Item Render Registration:

https://github.com/SocraticPhoenix/Randores/blob/master/src/main/java/com/gmail/socraticphoenix/forge/randore/RandoresClientProxy.java#L110

Place where it logs that it's working, even though it's not:

https://github.com/SocraticPhoenix/Randores/blob/master/src/main/java/com/gmail/socraticphoenix/forge/randore/texture/FlexibleAtlasSprite.java#L87

So... PLEASE HELP.

(Also, more weird behavior: The custom block I'm registering always takes up the first dynamic block texture, but the custom item seems to randomly take up dynamic textures...)

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

7 minutes ago, Socratic_Phoenix said:

(Also, more weird behavior: The custom block I'm registering always takes up the first dynamic block texture, but the custom item seems to randomly take up dynamic textures...)

What did you expect this to do?

1 minute ago, Draco18s said:

What did you expect this to do?

Heh... heh... umm... yeah. Now I feel really, really dumb!

Thanks, I was going kinda insane....

Though, I still don't understand why the item's behavior was so erratic.

I always get caught up on the silliest bugs :(

Thanks a lot, again!

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

On 2/12/2017 at 0:05 PM, Draco18s said:

Items/Blocks: no idea, probably both.  Items you can do more easily another way, though.

Are model textures (armor, entity textures, etc.) also stored in the texture atlas? Is everything (all textures ever) stored in the texture atlas?

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

Only the Block and Item textures are stored in a texture atlas. Armor, entity and GUI textures use a ResourceLocation. See TextureManager#bindTexture to see how it works.

Edited by larsgerrits

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

16 minutes ago, larsgerrits said:

Only the Block and Item textures are stored in a texture atlas. Armor, entity and GUI textures use a ResourceLocation. See TextureManager#bindTexture to see how it works.

How would I say... register new ResourceLocations as armor textures on the fly, with the locations pointing to files in the file system?

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

You don't have to register a ResourceLocation. You just bind it with TextureManager#bindTexture, and that does everything for you. You can make a different ResourceLocation anytime you want, and it loads it for you.

ResourceLocation takes 2 arguments: a modid and a texture location. So new ResourceLocation("modid", "path/to/texture.png") will point to a texture in assets/modid/path/to/texture.png.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

4 minutes ago, larsgerrits said:

assets/modid/path/to/texture.png.

11 minutes ago, Socratic_Phoenix said:

with the locations pointing to files in the file system

Anyway to get it to point to something outside the mod jar?

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

3 minutes ago, Socratic_Phoenix said:

Anyway to get it to point to something outside the mod jar?

You'd have to make a custom implementation of IResourcePack, add it to Minecraft#defaultResourcePack (you'll need reflection), which can return any InputStream you want.

7 minutes ago, larsgerrits said:

You'd have to make a custom implementation of IResourcePack, add it to Minecraft#defaultResourcePack (you'll need reflection), which can return any InputStream you want.

Minecraft has the ability to stack resources packs... is there no way to do this using that without reflection?

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

8 minutes ago, Socratic_Phoenix said:

Minecraft has the ability to stack resources packs... is there no way to do this using that without reflection?

larsgerrits method does allow pack stacking.  Minecraft#defaultResourcePack should be  Minecraft#defaultResourcePacks, it's a List, you can add any IResourcePack anywhere in it.

Reflection is the only way to access Minecraft#defaultResourcePacks as it's private and has no methods for manipulating it.