[1.11.2] Spawn Mob In Lava

LogicTechCorp

I don't think this is currently possible using the vanilla passive spawning system.

When WorldEntitySpawner#findChunksForSpawning tries to spawn an entity, it calls WorldServer#canCreatureTypeSpawnHere and WorldEntitySpawner#canCreatureTypeSpawnAtLocation and only proceeds if they both return true. You can use WorldEvent.PotentialSpawns to change the result of the former, but the latter is hardcoded to check for water if the entity uses EntityLiving.SpawnPlacementType.IN_WATER and call Block#canCreatureSpawn (which calls (Block#isSideSolid with EnumFacing.UP) for any other EntityLiving.SpawnPlacementType.

Lava isn't water or a solid block, so entities won't be spawned in it.

I think Forge would need to add an event in WorldEntitySpawner#canCreatureTypeSpawnAtLocation to allow the result of the method to be changed.

Edited by Choonster
Added missing word
  • Like 1

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2017 at 8:51 AM, Choonster said:

I don't think this is currently possible using the vanilla passive spawning system.

When WorldEntitySpawner#findChunksForSpawning tries to spawn an entity, it calls WorldServer#canCreatureTypeSpawnHere and WorldEntitySpawner#canCreatureTypeSpawnAtLocation and only proceeds if they both return true. You can use WorldEvent.PotentialSpawns to change the result of the former, but the latter is hardcoded to check for water if the entity uses EntityLiving.SpawnPlacementType.IN_WATER and call Block#canCreatureSpawn (which calls (Block#isSideSolid with EnumFacing.UP) for any other EntityLiving.SpawnPlacementType.

Lava isn't water or a solid block, so entities won't be spawned in it.

I think Forge would need to add an event in WorldEntitySpawner#canCreatureTypeSpawnAtLocation to allow the result of the method to be changed.

@Choonster Do you have any recommendations on what the event should be? I am going to try and see what I can come up with but would like to know where to start. 

2 hours ago, LogicTechCorp said:

@Choonster Do you have any recommendations on what the event should be? I am going to try and see what I can come up with but would like to know where to start. 

It should probably be fired just before the second if statement in WorldEntitySpawner.canCreatureTypeSpawnAtLocation. The event should include the EntityLiving.SpawnPlacementType, World, BlockPos and IBlockState and have an Event.Result that controls the behaviour (like LivingSpawnEvent.CheckSpawn).

An alternative would be to add a method to EntityLiving.SpawnPlacementType that takes the World, BlockPos and IBlockState and returns a nullable Boolean or Optional<Boolean> functioning similar to Event.Result (allow, deny, default). You'd then need to add a field to EntityLiving.SpawnPlacementType to hold a delegate function for the method to call (like EnumEnchantmentType#canEnchantItem/EnumEnchantmentType#delegate). A Function<Triple<World, BlockPos, IBlockState>> would work, though it's a bit ugly.

Edited by Choonster

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.