Mod Download Site

calclavia

I have this idea but it might be a bit too far fetched. Maybe Forge should create a webpage that is like a Mod Download site, similar to how FireFox has an add-on website for their browser (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/) or something like the Google Market. It will be a website where players can simply download mods and search for them. There won't be any forum thread inside. It will be clean and organized and unlike the messy forum in Minecraft for different mods. The pages for the mods will be in the same format giving players an easy access to these mod's official pages or forum threads.

For modders, simply just submit your Forge mod onto that webpage and it will indexed with a category and etc.

Integrate this feature with the new FML feature. You know where in the Minecraft in-game menu you have this new page for the list of Mods? Have the player be able to open to this Forge Mod Site where the player will easily be able to pick and download their mods.

I think something like this should really be made and Forge would be a good place to start it. Any opinions?

that is a good idea, mods could be sorted by keywords such as Mob, Dimension, Machinery

Yup. It's like a dinning menu for players to pick mods :) Makes mod-finding a lot easier and more user-friendly. I could program the website for this, but I would need some Forge admin's support on this idea before I do any participation.

No, I doubt this will ever happen.

1/2 the community hates us with the power of a thousand suns.

1/2 the community loves us

And we{I} don't have the resources to design or administer something like that.

If you want something like this, wait till Mojang make there official API, and such.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

They don't hate you just don't understand why forge is taking over as the big api.

Also I doubt that mc will do this even when the api comes OUT, which will be a good while. However, someone could start something like this on there own and use an improved version of what bukkit uses. A 3rd party mc luancher like magic launcher could also work to both config manage and download the mods.

If you want something like this, wait till Mojang make there official API, and such.

I don't think that much people hate Forge. I bet most people actually would prefer Forge rather than having all mods incompatible with each other. I think what Forge lacks is the ease-of-access which makes some players do not like it. I know it is very easy to install Forge for people like you and experienced modders, but there are stupid (as in tech stupid) people out there who does not even know how to install Java.

Also, you don't have to do this project alone. It's the modders who would be doing it as a spare task. I am pretty decent at PHP, HTML, MYSQL and CSS and I bet there are modders out there who are even better. If you make this like a Git-Hub project, then it will probably work. :)

I don't think that much people hate Forge. I bet most people actually would prefer Forge rather than having all mods incompatible with each other. I think what Forge lacks is the ease-of-access which makes some players do not like it. I know it is very easy to install Forge for people like you and experienced modders, but there are stupid (as in tech stupid) people out there who does not even know how to install Java.

Also, you don't have to do this project alone. It's the modders who would be doing it as a spare task. I am pretty decent at PHP, HTML, MYSQL and CSS and I bet there are modders out there who are even better. If you make this like a Git-Hub project, then it will probably work. :)

Plus one to my project Quary lol. I actual have something started that i just though of offering up to this ideal. I've been working on an auto updater for my Server, Not the one i gave you calclavia just for reference. The way it works is linking to a server and retrieving a mod list. This list contains all the mods, plugins, upgrades and such that needs downloaded. From this list it follows link directly to the Mod's site and downloads the mods. After downloading it then gets a temp config list from the server. It trades off this list with the current config folder to match 100% configs from server to client. Even though i'm not even close too being done i could changes it up to be a mod manager app. In which a mods could be listed from a data base and players can create mod lists to install & use.

Make a config file for the downloaded so Server managers can change what mod it downloads etc.

Thats the plan with what i mean by list. The server owner will make the list and the player just types in the server name. The program then just grabs the list from the server and goes to work.

Make a config file for the downloaded so Server managers can change what mod it downloads etc.

Thats the plan with what i mean by list. The server owner will make the list and the player just types in the server name. The program then just grabs the list from the server and goes to work.

Good idea. But I am still not sure if this is "legal" to provide direct download to others people's mod without permission, I think they still want explicit permission before you do something like that even if you are not directly distributing their mods.

Maybe so but ill figure it out later. For now I'll work over the basic version then look into setting something up for permission. What I was think about was while the mod download show there website and such. That way they get advertized while downloading and shown they own the mod.

If someone were to make an interface for forge itself (perhaps in-game download menu or what-not), I could set up the server.  I would make it so only people in the Forge Modder group could upload files for use by it, thus only the author can upload their files, if they did not then they will not appear.  They could submit a file or a url or whatever, however who makes the front-end interface would want it to appear.  If the front-end maker is smart then they might want to embed an html viewer so the mod authors could still adfly things and so forth.  Hmm, it might be worth it to set up a mod download area here anyway, there are a few good file management systems for SMF that would work well...

Sounds like a plan above my coding skills. Ill work on my version which might not be 100% legit and a group of us can work on a grand version. Though adfly shouldn't be allowed if uploaded by authors just for looks. This way they can upload a banner to be shown when the mod downloads. Also because adfy links need the player to confirm the download which doesnt work as automatic.

It doesn't have to be exactly automatic. I got a basic plan on how this will work.

Website - The mod website will feature all the Forge mods and can be updated by the mod creator. Everything will be organized to be FOR THE PLAYER and USER FRIENDLY (and for dummies). There will be a link on each mod's page for the mod's download and that link can lead to adfly or any sort of advertisement system.

P.S Also have the website make the mod makers enter the default block IDs they are using. Have this feature so then a mod maker can simply search for a block ID and see if it is occupied. If it is, then the modder is recommended not to use that block ID. Since we got 4096, there are plenty of block IDs out there to use. But there should be a feature to allow modders to know which block IDs are occupied and should be avoided to be used.

In-Game Mod Menu - After the player installed Forge, they can view the Mod menu via the button from the main menu of Minecraft. There it will show a search bar that connects with the server and can list mods like how it does from the website. Once the player clicks on a download link for the mod, it will open up that link in a window WITHIN the Minecraft game. Whatever that is downloaded from this window will have the download file placed inside the mods folder automatically and saves the trouble for the player to place it themselves. Similar to how in Google Chrome you can set up the download location, in this case the download location is always the mods folder.

If we are going to do this, a mod will not need a "mcmod.info" file and instead Minecraft will connect to the internet and check from the website database all information on this mod. If the mod has an update, it will suggest the player to get the update.

Now when a player tries to join a Forge server, and if the player does not have the required mods for the server, it will list them all (like how it is done now). The list will also link to the mod's download page (if it is available as a Forge mod) for the player to download all the mods in-game. All of this could be done without any type of internet explorer. After the download Minecraft will automatically restart and have the new mods installed in it.

Any suggestions?

I am good at PHP, Javascript, HTML, CSS and of course, Java. However, I am not good at integrating these two thing and this is what this project is about. I have, however a basic idea on how this is going to work. I am thinking of having the server have a  MYSQL database (or any other type of database) with all the information of the mods stored inside. The Minecraft client will call a PHP page (e.g getModInfo.php) and retrieve data from the server. That is basically all it needs to do - to retrieve data from the server. There won't be the need to upload data to the server for this project. I can help with the website programming but I am not really good at integrating the Java app with the server. There will be a lot of people out there who are better than me in this.

Darkguardsman: If this project can be done, people won't need mod installer at all. The Minecraft client itself will become a mod installer making everything a lot easier to do. The main reason I would really want to see this thing happening is because a lot of my friends who play Minecraft are tech-stupid and they can't figure out how to mod their Minecraft (especially when you have like 20 mods installed). Having this will definitely solve that problem and make Forge a more welcoming place for players who wish to play Minecraft modded.

Very good plan just a few suggestions.

1) Leave the updater outside of minecraft. The reason for this is it become hard to update minecraft.jar itself if you are modifying it. Or this is the impression that i got from sites i have read. Also because you can update the launcher separate from the game. On top of that we are trying to help those that don't understand how to install mods at all. So an updater that they can leave on there desktop too use will be perfect. Using this we can also add in a mod that the updater installs into minecraft first to give in game menus and such.

2) Add package downloads like techie does. This way server owner can create new package similar to play lists that player signs up too. Which can also be used to show server news, images before and while logining in.

3) We need a auto config manager that save between sessions. This way a player can switch server without changing configs. Also so worlds can switch configs for different mods. Improving the fact some mods just don't mix at all and will be used separate.

4) if we do start down the path of messing with the client code for this lets do more than just an updater. For example ssp chat room, tutorials, map downloading, feature to improve server communication and control.

well, immibis did pr something to the github a while ago, so it can be doable, but aren't we just going down the spout road?

Read the EAQ before posting! OR ELSE!

This isn't building better software, its trying to grab a place in the commit list of a highly visible github project.

www.forgeessentials.com

Don't PM me, I don't check this account unless I have to.

Very good plan just a few suggestions.

1) Leave the updater outside of minecraft. The reason for this is it become hard to update minecraft.jar itself if you are modifying it. Or this is the impression that i got from sites i have read. Also because you can update the launcher separate from the game. On top of that we are trying to help those that don't understand how to install mods at all. So an updater that they can leave on there desktop too use will be perfect. Using this we can also add in a mod that the updater installs into minecraft first to give in game menus and such.

2) Add package downloads like techie does. This way server owner can create new package similar to play lists that player signs up too. Which can also be used to show server news, images before and while logining in.

3) We need a auto config manager that save between sessions. This way a player can switch server without changing configs. Also so worlds can switch configs for different mods. Improving the fact some mods just don't mix at all and will be used separate.

4) if we do start down the path of messing with the client code for this lets do more than just an updater. For example ssp chat room, tutorials, map downloading, feature to improve server communication and control.

Good ideas. Hmm I see what you mean by not having it in the jar and I agree with you. :)

Your solution would be the most ideal. Your fourth idea however should be done like... Afterwards. So I think we will be using your plan.

Forge should record down all the mods and what IDs they use in game and Auto configure it when a player joins into a server. Just like what you said. This saves the player the trouble of manually configurating things and etc. Also, you shouldn't be able to use blocks and items that does not exist on the server. Currently we can take blocks out of the creative menu even if it is not installed on the server. But that's a bit off topic.

The reason (I think) why a lot of people prefer vanilla Minecraft over modded Minecraft is because vanilla Minecraft is not cumbersome and "hard to install". When you start modding, you have to worry about config files, updating the mods, changing config to join servers etc. If we can get this to happen, I think there will be more players who will play modded Minecraft rather than vanilla Minecraft.

However, I am only do the plain talking. Technically I don't really have a code structure in mind on how to do this. I only know how to write the website part of it.

DarkGuardsman you seem to be a good "Installer maker". I think this project will have to start from you. What programming language you need for the installer? I am not very good at programming standalone applications (never done it before so I don't know). I suggest you can the installed the Forge Launcher and have it work similar to magic launcher.

As for the website, I can do that. If Overmind you would open a server, I will be happy to start programming the things. I will started a github repo on the source files of the website. It would be great if, Darksgaurdsman you can open a github with the source files of the installer so other people can help out on it.

GitHub (Empty) Repo: https://github.com/calclavia/mod-website

Just to confirm, the server will have an MYSQL database and PHP installed right?

lol i'm actual not a good mod installer maker just have good ideals and a few good tools too help. The project we have in mind will need java to allow it too work on all OS. I'll start the basic download part that simple takes the url and downloads the file. After that i'll need help since java is not my main programming lang and i don't programs apps at all. Last time i made an app that worked with the net was in 8th grade using basic. I've long forgot how too do that since i only mod and program micro chips ;/. Though in due time with Google i think i can figure it out. I'll post it on github when i get something started and working.

Since this project can actual be broken into multi parts i list what part i think the installer needs. this way others might be able to start it on there own.

Web -> that you calclavia. Need a database for all info about each mod per each update. Something for the installer to grab with mod lists/packages. Interface for server owner and players to create mod packages for private or public use. Interface too add in new mods and some system to confirm they are the mod maker.

Installer -> unzips and installs mods into the jar. Or too unpack mods like computercraft that need to be unpacked to work.

file scanner -> check all files in the .minecraft folder and lists them. I want to go as far as scanning everything in the minecraft.jar too prevent hacking but we can keep it simple to file names.

Package Reader -> retrieves and compares the download list too the current file list

Downloader -> simply download files using a url and a file destination which will be a temp folder or mod file storage

Mod Manager -> takes file from a folder and places them into there correct spots depending on mod package. Will also move non needed files to a storage folder for later.

config Manager -> changes the config files to match the world or server. stores a file in each world, or in case of a server somewhere where the installer can access it.

world Manager -> removes and places worlds into save folder depending on mods installed. Prevent worlds from being lost due to mod conflict or miss installs. Also take a backup first time moved and run just in case a new mods version cause world corruption.

Gui -> displays all info for player too see. Need a main Viewer screen, download progress bar, button for options, button to select package.

InGame Mod -> lets the player change basic config option in main menu of MC. Like power output of IC2 blocks. Also will reopen launcher too change mod packages if player wants to switch.

fill free to add or correct me. I'm trying to plan out a project for once instead of jumping strait in.

Yeah same here. I want to get some Forge guy to approve this first. Your list is good.

For web, we will use the Forge accounts to login. Once logged in, the modder can write his/her mod info by creating a new mod page. The mod page's data will be saved as an XML file via PHP. XML files are great for these things.

I thought about it and I think we don't even need a SQL database. All we need is to save and load XML files from a PHP page.

What your (Darkguardsman) Forge Launcher will have to do is to connect to a specific PHP page from the Forge server. For example, let's name the page getModInfo.php. You can ask for data like this: getModInfo.php?req=XXXXX. The php page will print out some data and you can decode that data into human-readable things for display. The data will include everything about that specific mod and etc.

I like your list of things, but I think the only thing we need is a Forge Launcher. You can config, browse, download, install, update mods from the Forge Launcher. I don't think you need an in-game mod if you have a launcher.

hmm, the in game mod is more for optional extras. Like i exampled, too change quick config without exiting the game, the general category in forge config files. Also too force reopen and close MC if the player wants to switch mod groups. Like going from Industrial pack to mystic pack too prevent world save conflict.

For now though i suggest we make a test version of this before even trying to add it to the forge page. This way we can prove it works then implement it into forge page, that is if the forge staff goes with it.

hmm, the in game mod is more for optional extras. Like i exampled, too change quick config without exiting the game, the general category in forge config files. Also too force reopen and close MC if the player wants to switch mod groups. Like going from Industrial pack to mystic pack too prevent world save conflict.

For now though i suggest we make a test version of this before even trying to add it to the forge page. This way we can prove it works then implement it into forge page, that is if the forge staff goes with it.

Yup. Waiting for some Forge approval. Mainly from OvermindDL1 since he is the admin (and good with website stuff).

As i said you can make a test version that doesn't use forge website first. I don't think they will just let you mess with there site without something working first.

Yes. We should start with a java Forge Launcher. I am learning on how to create Java standalone apps. Never done it before yet, but I am going to try. Once I get something like a basic GUI, I will post it on GitHub.

Btw, the new GitHub Windows app is so user friendly. No bash required

Just gunna point it out again, that I am not gunna sanction any of this.

It is a LARGE endeavor. And I know you all mean well, but honestly I doubt any of you aside from Overmind have the skills or experience to pull it off.

Not trying to be a dick, its just the facts.

None of your ideas are special or unique, I can personally say I've considered them all before.

Forge is NOT a full blown Modding API.

Forge is NOT the end-all be-all for modding.

That is up to Mojang to do, it is there project. It is there company, it is there responsibility to do this. It's what they get paid for.

There are already a plethora of other tools out there that make mod management a cake walk. And with a few things that I have in mind for Forge in the future even simpler, but, the full blown system like you guys are talking about is NOT something that Forge should be doing or associated with.

I understand why you guys want the Forge name associated with it, because if you didn't have the name, you'd fall to ambiguity along with the many other sites/systems like this that have already been made.

But unless something major happens related to Minecraft, I don't see this coming to fruit.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon