The New Forums

Draco18s

You get a distinct "MEH" from me for the look and feel. That was until I found the "jump to new post" button being waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off to the right from the thread title, past the number of views, number of replies author, and post date. Jesus christ, that is the worst location. In terms of functionality, I had to edit the fucking HTML just to make this thread. retarded.png Take a wild guess where the "this is where your post content goes" text field is. code.png That's right, it's hidden. Good jorb Invision Power Services. Well at least it'll keep people who don't know how to code from posting threads at least...if completely infuriate everyone else. Oh jesus fucking christ. Unhiding the text area makes it 3 lines tall and the entire screen wide and if I resize it larger it covers up the submit button. REVERT. REVERT. ABORT. RETRY. FAIL.

• Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE, IT STRIPS CARRIAGE RETURNS.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

The new forums are being worked on, the themes will get cleaned up as we go.

Small growing pains, but feel free to continue on this topic with things you find and we'll address them in time.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Guest Mr. Flamegoat

Would suggest being nice though - considering I've seen no other reports of this issue from anyone else. The base text area is intended to be hidden, as the javascript editor inserts content into it dynamically. Pretty standard with editors like TinyMCE, Summernote etc.

It's likely that the editor didn't fire on load for whatever reason. Definitely have plenty to fix up - just be constructive and abide by the general rule of thumb: Don't be a dick.

EDIT: We should have style fixes this weekend when Paleo gets time to update - otherwise I'll implement a few fixes as I can.

EDIT 2: If this happens again, check your console. You'll see a javascript error, paste that.

I was intending to be nice ("the style is pretty meh, but this very helpful button is in the worst spot, OH GOD WHY CAN'T I START THREADS"), but I had to fight with the forums to even post, and my patience ran out.  It wasn't anger at Lex or the Forge team, it was anger at the forum software, just so we're clear.  You can actually see my opinion degrade and my anger rise as my opening post goes on.  Erf.

The base text area is intended to be hidden, as the javascript editor inserts content into it dynamically.

I thought so, but I couldn't find anything that would have blocked said editor from doing its "thing" even after I disabled Ghostery, Greasemonkey, and Stylish.

EDIT 2: If this happens again, check your console. You'll see a javascript error, paste that.

Errors... lets find out....

Guest Mr. Flamegoat
5 hours ago, OreCruncher said:

My first impression was too much white space on the page.  Is there a theme or setting somewhere more data can be packed into a display page?

Yea I think we can probably get things a bit more concise - I'm focusing on breaking issues right now though. Once we get everything (like permissions and the explicitly broken pages on iPad fixed) then we'll start working through overall design.

Only issue for me so far is the fact that on mobile (iPhone 7, latest iOS, Firefox) there is no difference between unread and read, i thought it was a bug when i checked on my PC cos i had actually read all threads but then found an undread one

tl;dr unread = read on mobile theme

Guest Mr. Flamegoat

Interesting, since there's no difference between themes. It's a responsive design - we'll look into it but it's likely just a transient cache issue with read vs unread.

Just discovered that I can't view spoiler sections. They just don't open.

(No apparent JS errors)

"Jump to new post" doesn't always jump me to the newest post, but rather the bottom of the page.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7950499/2017-02-04 20-11-03.mp4

While that time there was only 1 new post, the last time I checked that thread there were at least three and I still ended up at the bottom of the page.

Nested quotes are impossible to read (where does one quote start and the next one end?)

Example:

(Preview does not show the quotes)

We lost the TeleType bbcode tag that would display in-line code segments, eg. TileEntity#getCapability

We can do code still:

But it's only good for large blocks and won't render in-line

There is the font tag to fake it; e.g. this should be monospaced. But it's harder to get at (have to type it manually, the rich text editor toolbar does not have a font selection dropdown).

Here's an old post that used [tt] (link preview doesn't render the post the same here either; seems it strips the code-block and renders the text inline and not monospaced (???))

Yep, code blocks are completely stripped in link previews:

Also the post-preview button doesn't work for me.

Testing if the nobbc tag still works.

[nobbc]This should not be italicised at all[/nobbc]

Nope.

Edited by Draco18s

Guest Mr. Flamegoat

So maybe something like this right here?

Added the "tt" button to the toolbar, along with the font tag and remove formatting buttons. Just highlight and hit the "tt" button for a shortcut to monospaced font.

Should be noted that this does not use a bbcode editor - it converts all bbcode to HTML, so the idea of [nobbc] is moot. bbcode conversion is only for legacy and compatibility with other packages. Basically, for us old farts that like it.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Flamegoat said:

Added the "tt" button to the toolbar, along with the font tag and remove formatting buttons. Just highlight and hit the "tt" button for a shortcut to monospaced font.

Should be noted that this does not use a bbcode editor - it converts all bbcode to HTML, so the idea of [nobbc] is moot. bbcode conversion is only for legacy and compatibility with other packages. Basically, for us old farts that like it.

Would it be possible to convert the [tt] tags in all the old posts to monospace font instead of code blocks? Having the [tt] tag work in new posts would also be more convenient than having to highlight the text and click a button.

Most of my old posts are borderline unreadable because each section of inline code has been replaced with a code block.

Edited by Choonster

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

18 hours ago, Mr. Flamegoat said:

When I tried it, it hadn't worked.

[tt]Now it does. Hopefully[/tt]

Do I have to use the button...?

Yes, apparently. :|  And it still parses interior BBCode, which is going to wreck teletype on array usage...

You know, array.whatever

Yep. It italicised the rest of the post....obligatory end-italics. 

Also, preview and spoilers are still broked.

Edited by Draco18s

Guest Mr. Flamegoat
7 hours ago, Draco18s said:

When I tried it, it hadn't worked.

[tt]Now it does. Hopefully[/tt]

Do I have to use the button...?

Yes, apparently. :|  And it still parses interior BBCode, which is going to wreck teletype on array usage...

You know, array.whatever

Yep. It italicised the rest of the post....obligatory end-italics. 

Also, preview and spoilers are still broked.

Spoilers working fine here - preview too.

Not sure what you mean by broked?

I mean I still can't use them:

On 2/3/2017 at 10:54 PM, Draco18s said:

I click on them and nothing happens. Watch the video.

I also just noticed that we lost the ability to have signatures.  Awesome.

Edited by Draco18s

Guest Mr. Flamegoat
On 2/7/2017 at 2:49 PM, Draco18s said:

I mean I still can't use them:

I click on them and nothing happens. Watch the video.

I also just noticed that we lost the ability to have signatures.  Awesome.

No you didn't, go turn them on. Sigs are old, archaic, spammy, and slow in many cases, so they're off by default. I'm not a fan of distractions and advertising that I don't control to unsuspecting youngsters getting started with modded Minecraft, which is what a lot of people use them for. Also, I'm working out a few bugs to prevent youtube vids from showing up (they do at the moment).

Account Settings -> Signatures -> View Signatures -> Toggle to on.

Until I sanitize them correctly and put strict rules to outside linking, advertising and such in place they'll remain off by default. As you can imagine, during the migration, I saw a lot of things that made me pretty unhappy and quite grumpy. I figure if you choose to turn them on currently, that's disclaimer enough.

Ah, so they are still there. I'd gone looking and somehow failed to find it.

And no worries about leaving them off by default.

Also I figured out the JS problems I was having. Merely having a Greasemonkey script active on the URL breaks spoilers, preview, and new topic stuff. A blank greasemonkey script.

I had one to nuke an image out of someone's sig (I didn't mind signatures except that one image) and there's no reason for a GM script to interfere like that, especially one that has @grant: none.