Why Gradle? (Also is There Any Way to Develop Mods Without it)

Legoboy0109

I was just wondering because gradle can be a pain to setup and doesn't work on all computers and wi-fi networks. It also doesn't always integrate into ide's well and it would just work better if there was some sort of eclipse project package that had all the libs and jar files you needed as well as the files and setup to run the mod in a forge environment.

If you're going to be salty, just take a listen.

Because Gradle is better than previous setup. No there is no way to develop Forge mods without Gradle (theoretically you could, but it would be a massive PITA, far more so than Gradle).

Gradle works perfectly well, just very few people know how to actually use it. Gradle is just another programming language. Under the hood it uses the Groovy language which also runs on the JVM. There is a plethora of documentation for it, and for almost any problem you could possibly encounter,  someone already has and has worked out a solution.

Gradle integrates Eclipse perfectly fine, and very well with IDEA.

You can't just have a bunch of jar files because of the way Forge and Minecraft exist. Forge is forbidden from distributing Minecraft (sources or jars) by Mojang. So instead of doing this, Forge distributes what are called patches. On each user's computer, the Forge patches are applied to Minecraft and that is what's used. Combine this with access transformers used by other mods, and you've got an environment where it's not possible to just distribute a bunch of jar files.

Your complaint seems to be specifically about Eclipse, so here's a suggestion: Try switching to IDEA. It may take some time to get used to, but you can. It's Gradle integration works very well making it a breeze to import a Gradle-based project into it.

Don't make mods if you don't know Java.

Check out my website: http://shadowfacts.net

Developer of many mods

I've used IDEA before and it's not bad, but the problem I have is that I can't just import an eclipse project from git to develop mods on a school computer for my programming classes or when I'm on my friends computer at the school. I understand that they can't just distribute jars, but would it be possible to have an eclipse project that just has all those patches already imported that I can clone through git?

Is there a way of keeping all the files needed in one place with an easy system to transport it?

Use a USB flash drive to store all of your code and eclipse/IDEA. And what you do is you take the files stored in some path under your User that contains all of the referenced libraries and put them into your flash drive and then edit the projects dependencies so that it uses the same ones, this works in theory have not tried it myself.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Does anyone else see the "Watched" in green under gurujive's name or is that just me?

I do too. Looking at the HTML it's a "warn_watch" field, so I take it to mean that the moderators are watching his posts closely.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Does anyone else see the "Watched" in green under gurujive's name or is that just me?

I do too. Looking at the HTML it's a "warn_watch" field, so I take it to mean that the moderators are watching his posts closely.

Yeah I thought that as well, but wasn't quite sure and didn't think to look at the HTML.

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Why Gradle?

Because it is a self-contained easy to use system that runs on the JVM which is the language/platform required for developing Forge mods so it does not add any extra dependencies and allows for standardized development with many projects. It's an industry standard outside of Minecraft for many reasons.

(Also is There Any Way to Develop Mods Without it)
Short answer: Yes, but it is so complicated and annoying that it is not worth the effort, and beyond that most methods are illegal and would piss off Microsoft's lawyers which everyone would agree is a bad idea.

I was just wondering because gradle can be a pain to setup
Running literally ONE command is a 'pain'? Seriously how do you expect us to make it easier? Write the mod for you when you look at your screen?
and doesn't work on all computers
Actually it works on all computers that are capable of running the J8 JVM. Which, considering my toaster can do it I think makes this point invalid.
and wi-fi networks.
This is actually a valid complaint but this is not a fault of Forge or Gradle. This wouldn't be solved by moving to a different system. This is a issue with your network setups.

It also doesn't always integrate into ide's well
It integrates rather well with all popular IDEs, the main problem is that the tasks needed to setup a Forge project are NOWHERE near standard java practices due to legal issues. So you're just going to have to deal with some lack of IDE integration here. However that being said, again all popular IDEs are are supported by gradle, and by ForgeGradle. Run the proper command and it will create a eclipse project for you that has all the proper libraries, run configs, debug flags, and is useable by a simple 'File -> Import -> Import Existing Project'

and it would just work better if there was some sort of eclipse project package that had all the libs and jar files you needed as well as the files and setup to run the mod in a forge environment.
Again, this is not done for legal reasons, blame Mojang. However gradle can do all of this for you with 1 command 'gradlew setupDecompWorkspace eclipse'

In conclusion your points are invalid and you're just bitching, stop.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be stupid, I just had a legitimate question. Maybe you just do this so much that it all seems easy to you, but not all of us are "Forge Code Gods". If you're going to be so salty maybe I should just stick to playing with mods or vanilla. Maybe it would be better if someone just made a new mod loader that could run all forge mods and was easier to use.

and it would just work better if there was some sort of eclipse project package that had all the libs and jar files you needed as well as the files and setup to run the mod in a forge environment.
Again, this is not done for legal reasons, blame Mojang. However gradle can do all of this for you with 1 command 'gradlew setupDecompWorkspace eclipse'

In conclusion your points are invalid and you're just bitching, stop.

this is as easy as it gets, deal with it IT IS ONE LINE. you want a fairy to drop out the sky and type it in for you

edit : and even if it was 20 lines to set it up it is nothing compared to the mods you are writing

note you can type gradle --gui to get a gui so you can click things

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be stupid, I just had a legitimate question. Maybe you just do this so much that it all seems easy to you, but not all of us are "Forge Code Gods". If you're going to be so salty maybe I should just stick to playing with mods or vanilla. Maybe it would be better if someone just made a new mod loader that could run all forge mods and was easier to use.

and how it "making a new modloader" going to make things better. you still need to install the thing you still need to "put file in folder"

was easier to use.

you've yet to explain what is hard or how it could possibly be made easier. The entire point of this system is that it is literally the easiest it can be. Any easier would involve us writing your mod for you.

The thread shows a lack of effort and just complaining on your end and that's not welcome here. Either provide ideas for solutions or shush.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Well then explain why almost every time I run that one command you say is the easiest thing ever it says "Build Failed" and I have to go find a way to fix it.

I would say WiFi, but couldn't be precise without a log.

Well then explain why almost every time I run that one command you say is the easiest thing ever it says "Build Failed" and I have to go find a way to fix it.

So this isn't an issue about ease of use. Like Animefan said we would need a log. It is not an ease of use issue, rather it is an error that can probably be fixed.