[1.11] Print to chat when item is used

Dado42

I followed a tutorial to get to the point where I can make my own items. Now I would like to print a message to chat when someone right clicks when holding the item I created. I would like the message to be able to be seen by all players. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Go to the

Item

Class, more specifically

Item#onItemRightClick

Edit:

To send a message, you could:

Minecraft mc = Minecraft.getMinecraft();

mc.thePlayer.addChatMessage(new TextComponentTranslation("message.modid.item.desc"));

(this will only be seen by player)

or

mc.thePlayer.sendChatMessage("x");

for all players to see it.

when the item is right clicked. However, this needs to be translated via en_US.lang

Relatively new to modding.

Currently developing:

https://github.com/LambdaXV/DynamicGenerators

Go to the

Item

Class, more specifically

Item#onItemRightClick

Edit:

To send a message, you could:

Minecraft mc = Minecraft.getMinecraft();

mc.thePlayer.addChatMessage(new TextComponentTranslation("message.modid.item.desc"));

(this will only be seen by player)

or

mc.thePlayer.sendChatMessage("x");

for all players to see it.

when the item is right clicked. However, this needs to be translated via en_US.lang

Minecraft.getMinecraft()

only exists on the client. Any usage server-side will cause a

NoClassDefFoundError

error. Heck even just importing Minecraft can cause the crash, due to how java loads imports.

@Dado42

Haven't touched 1.11 yet, but I'm sending a message to the player in 1.10 with

cheater.addChatComponentMessage(new TextComponentString(cheater.getName()+" "+I18n.format("death."+Saligia.MODID+".creative")));

Where

cheater

is an instance of

EntityPlayer

If you also want to use I18n, be sure to get the one from the

net.minecraft.client.resources.I18n

package. There are like 4 different I18n you can import. Be sure to get the correct one.

Also previously known as eAndPi.

"Pi, is there a station coming up where we can board your train of thought?" -Kronnn

Published Mods: Underworld

Handy links: Vic_'s Forge events Own WIP Tutorials.

Minecraft.getMinecraft()

only exists on the client. Any usage server-side will cause a

NoClassDefFoundError

error. Heck even just importing Minecraft can cause the crash, due to how java loads imports.

Incorrect.  Imports are syntactical sugar.  They allow you to not need fully qualified names on every reference.

Which means, an unused import is not present in compiled code (as all imports are transformed into fully qualified references).  However, a single usage of a fully qualified reference (see how imports are compiled) will cause the NoClassDefFoundError to be thrown, unless that usage exists inside a method that is marked @SideOnly(Side.Client) however you can only mark methods as Side-only-client if they themselves are not invoked from common code, as they too are still referenced from the server.

(This is why getSubBlocks can be / is marked with side-only-client, because it is only referenced from other side-only-client code).

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

When a player scores an achievement, everyone sees both a chat message and a brief corner popup. You might find that code to see how vanilla code manages those messages.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.