Tips for a new modder.

warmerspy

I don't know if this is the right section for this, if not feel free to move this thread to the right section. Also I'm sorry if my English is a little odd, I'm not a native speaker.

So I recently started to make an easy tools and armor mod with some new ores etc. I followed some tutorials on YouTube on how to make the mod. I know that I need to learn java to make more advanced mods and also need it to be able to make more creative mods. I just tried it out to see if I liked it or not and it turned out that I really enjoyed it. So now I wanna take my modding a step further and learn java.

So I was just wondering if you guys could give me some tips, like some good tutorials on preferably free and also other tips in general about modding with forge. Also I have a little bit programming experience. I've worked a little bit with web programming and some audrino programming in highschool.

Immerse yourself in the vanilla java source code. Start by "walking" through methods that you're calling and overriding. Wherever you see Java constructs or qualifiers that are not second nature to you, do a separate Google search on it + Java + programming. The vanilla code is a rich set of examples of Java programming techniques.

Then fire up your debugger and step through some of the sequences that your starter mod touches. Not only will you see how Java functions, but you'll begin to see how Minecraft is stitched together. Pay particular attention to whether you are in the client or server.

Learn to wrap your head around parallel execution. If you're lucky, you'll never need to wade into the morass that is client-server communication, but become aware that it is out their, lurking just beneath the surface.

Then study "reflection".

By this time in 2017 you should be ready for advanced modding.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.