Prevent Fire in an Area?

Zetal

What's the best way to prevent the spawning/spread of Fire in a specific area? I know Firespread can be disabled globally using vanilla settings, but I only want to disable it in a set location.

Right now the mod I have does so by doing chunk scans on chunk tick and checking to see if there is fire in a protected zone, but it's rather performance intensive and I'm looking for a better way to do this.

Have a modding question? PM me and hopefully I'll be able to help. Good at 2d Pixel Art? We need your help!  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1806355-looking-for-2d-pixel-artist/

I see there's a lot of discussion about the performance issues with such a thing... why don't they just add a forge hook for modifying the array of blocks to be ticked once per tick before it goes into the for loop, instead of once per block per tick after it's in the loop?

Wouldn't that serve the same purpose, and save performance time? Or am I misunderstanding?

Have a modding question? PM me and hopefully I'll be able to help. Good at 2d Pixel Art? We need your help!  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1806355-looking-for-2d-pixel-artist/