Detecting Nearby Mobs in SMP

Samalot

So, this is more of a brainstorm - I have some general idea about how I could accomplish some implementation of this. However, I am always keen to hear what people think and if they have any better/more sophisticated methods!

Item: A token which applies the swiftness potion buff when in close proximity (4 blocks) from a Mob.

player.addPotionEffect(new PotionEffect(Potion.moveSpeed.id, 50, 1));

Issues: The event I was going to use onPlayerUpdate(PlayerTickEvent event) is @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)

My initial thought would be to just do the logic client-side and send a flag to the server (via a packet?) to apply the potion effect?

Or, maybe have an event which runs server-side? I can't seem to find a 'tick event' from the forge bus, but some research shows there may be one on the FML Bus (however most of this info is from around 2012, so it could be out-dated).

So my real question is - Do you think this is the right approach? Is sending a packet potentially tens of times every tick an issue? Or is there some other way I have completely missed?

Thanks in advance! 

Edit: Upon reflection, I realise that the title is pretty poor - my apologies.

If this "token" is your own item, override

Item#onUpdate

. This is called once every tick while the item is in a player's inventory.

Otherwise

PlayerTickEvent

is the correct event to use. It's fired on both sides and not annotated with

@SideOnly

, I'm not sure why you thought it was.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

I removed the restriction and received an error, seems I interpreted it wrong! Thanks for the help.

The reason I cannot just use the onUpdate method is that the item has to also work from inside a 'token pouch'.

(I could always just write a bunch of if statements inside of the pouch code, but I thought this approach might be cleaner.)

EDIT:

Error = "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minecraft/client/multiplayer/WorldClient"

The reason I cannot just use the onUpdate method is that the item has to also work from inside a 'token pouch'.

(I could always just write a bunch of if statements inside of the pouch code, but I thought this approach might be cleaner.)

The pouch could simply propagate the update to its contents and still have each individual token handle its own effects.

This may be slightly cheaper than scanning the player's inventory from

PlayerTickEvent

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.