"The method getModelLocation() is underfined for the type Item"

MAItems.ObsidianBow

is a field of type

Item

, which doesn't have a

getModelLocation

method. Even though it currently contains an instance of

MAObsidianBow

(which does have that method), you haven't guaranteed that. It could contain an instance of

Item

or any subclass, so Java only lets you use methods that exist in the

Item

class.

Either change the type of the field or cast the field's value before calling the method.

"The method registerItemModel(Item, ResourceLocation) is undefined for the type ClientProxy"

Create the method as I described in my previous post.

Sorry could you re-explan the first part? Well I mean what parts do I actually change?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry could you re-explan the first part? Well I mean what parts do I actually change?

registerItemModel

should pass its

Item

and

ModelResourceLocation

arguments directly to

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation

. It shouldn't be referencing any other

Item

or creating its own

ModelResourceLocation

You should call

registerItemModel

with the

Item

to register a model for and a

ModelResourceLocation

pointing to the model.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Sorry just to clarify I need to change registerItemModel in this selection of code?

private void registerItemModels() {
		String locationBow = MAItems.ObsidianBow.getModelLocation();
		//String locationContinuousBow = ModItems.continuousBow.getModelLocation();
		for (int stage = 0; stage < 3; stage++) { // Add a variant for each stage's model
			ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(MAItems.ObsidianBow, new ModelResourceLocation(locationBow, "pulling_" + stage));
			//ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(ModItems.modelTest, new ResourceLocation(TestMod3.MODID, "modeltest_" + stage));
			//ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(ModItems.continuousBow, new ModelResourceLocation(locationContinuousBow, "pulling_" + stage));
		}

registerItemModel(MAItems.ObsidianBow, new ModelResourceLocation(locationBow, "standby"));

}

private void registerItemModel(Item item, ModelResourceLocation modelResourceLocation) {
		ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(MAItems.ObsidianBow, 0, new ModelResourceLocation("ma:ObsidianBow_standby", "inventory"));
		//ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(MAItems.ObsidianBow, 0, new ModelResourceLocation("ma:ObsidianBow_pulling_0", "inventory"));
		//ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(MAItems.ObsidianBow, 0, new ModelResourceLocation("ma:ObsidianBow_pulling_1", "inventory"));
		//ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(MAItems.ObsidianBow, 0, new ModelResourceLocation("ma:ObsidianBow_pulling_2", "inventory"));
	}

Sorry just to clarify I need to change registerItemModel in this selection of code?

for (int stage = 0; stage < 3; stage++) { // Add a variant for each stage's model
			ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(MAItems.ObsidianBow, new ModelResourceLocation(locationBow, "pulling_" + stage));
			//ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(ModItems.modelTest, new ResourceLocation(TestMod3.MODID, "modeltest_" + stage));
			//ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(ModItems.continuousBow, new ModelResourceLocation(locationContinuousBow, "pulling_" + stage));
		}

registerItemModel(MAItems.ObsidianBow, new ModelResourceLocation(locationBow, "standby"));

}

private void registerItemModel(Item item, ModelResourceLocation modelResourceLocation) {
		ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(MAItems.ObsidianBow, 0, new ModelResourceLocation("ma:ObsidianBow_standby", "inventory"));
		//ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(MAItems.ObsidianBow, 0, new ModelResourceLocation("ma:ObsidianBow_pulling_0", "inventory"));
		//ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(MAItems.ObsidianBow, 0, new ModelResourceLocation("ma:ObsidianBow_pulling_1", "inventory"));
		//ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(MAItems.ObsidianBow, 0, new ModelResourceLocation("ma:ObsidianBow_pulling_2", "inventory"));
	}

Yes.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

You need to modify the body of the

registerItemModel

method. This shouldn't be that hard to understand.

Yeah but I don't know what to add in, I still have a lot to learn like I know I need to change it but I don't know what to?

registerItemModel

should pass its

Item

and

ModelResourceLocation

arguments directly to

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation

. It shouldn't be referencing any other

Item

or creating its own

ModelResourceLocation

I'm not sure I can explain it any clearer than I already have. Is there a particular part you don't understand?

I just can't see what I've done wrong? It's exactly like yours is in your example code, but I still have the error on

getModelLocation

?

package com.MonstrousApple.mod.proxy;

import com.MonstrousApple.mod.items.MAItems;
import com.MonstrousApple.mod.render.MABlockRender;
import com.MonstrousApple.mod.render.MAGemRender;
import com.MonstrousApple.mod.render.MAItemRender;
import com.MonstrousApple.mod.render.MAOreRender;

import net.minecraft.client.resources.model.ModelBakery;
import net.minecraft.client.resources.model.ModelResourceLocation;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation;
import net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.event.FMLInitializationEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.event.FMLPostInitializationEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.event.FMLPreInitializationEvent;

public class ClientProxy extends CommonProxy {

public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent preEvent) {

super.preInit(preEvent);
	ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(MAItems.ObsidianBow, new ModelResourceLocation(MAItems.ObsidianBow.getRegistryName(), "ObsidianBow"));

//assets.ma.models/item/IronBow_pulling_0.json
	ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(MAItems.ObsidianBow, new ModelResourceLocation(MAItems.ObsidianBow.getRegistryName(), "ObsidianBow_pulling_0"));
	ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(MAItems.ObsidianBow, new ModelResourceLocation(MAItems.ObsidianBow.getRegistryName(), "ObsidianBow_pulling_1"));
	ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(MAItems.ObsidianBow, new ModelResourceLocation(MAItems.ObsidianBow.getRegistryName(), "ObsidianBow_pulling_2"));
}
	//ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(MAItems.IronBow, new ModelResourceLocation(getModelLocation(), "IronBow_pulling_1"));
	//ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(MAItems.IronBow, new ModelResourceLocation(getModelLocation(), "IronBow_pulling_0"));

//new ModelResourceLocation(MAItems.ObsidianBow.getRegistryName(), "IronBow_pulling_2")

}

}

}

public void init(FMLInitializationEvent event) {

super.init(event);

MABlockRender.registerBlockRender();
	MAItemRender.registerItemRender();
	MAOreRender.registerOreRender();	
	MAGemRender.registerGemRender();
}

public void postInit(FMLPostInitializationEvent postEvent) {

super.postInit(postEvent);

}

}