[1.8.9] How to properly sync capabilities for items?

Choonster

I'm trying to test the new capability system by adding a pig spawner capability that allows items to spawn a pig when right clicked on a block. There are two types of spawner: finite (has charges that are used up when spawning pigs, pigs can't be spawned if there aren't any charges left) and infinite (can always spawn pigs).

I've got the actual spawning of pigs working without issue, but now I'm trying to sync the remaining charges of finite pig spawners to the client so that they can be used in rendering (e.g. use the durability/damage bar to display the remaining charge percentage).

On the integrated server, the charges seem to be synced to the client thread automatically (even though the client and server have their own

ItemStack

s and

IPigSpawner

instances).

On the dedicated server, the charges aren't synced to the client. Even when I send a packet to update the value from

PlayerInteractEvent

(where I handle the spawning), it seems that the slot is overwritten by

S2FPacketSetSlot

afterwards.

Has anyone managed to get something like this working?

Logs (everything marked with

PIG_SPAWNER

is from pig spawner code)

Code: Interfaces, Implementations and Capability, Message

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.