[solved] [1.8] How to get EntityPlayer from world parameter

LordMastodon

Is there way to get the player from a world parameter? I want to have my block send a chat message to the player when it is broken, and the breakBlock function does not supply a player parameter. However, it does supply a world parameter and I'm wondering if it's possible to get the player from the world class, or indeed from any of the parameters for the breakBlock function (world seems most likely)? If not, is there any other way to send a chat message using the breakBlock function?

Who are you? Why have you brought me here? And why are there so many PewDiePie fanboys surrounding meeeeeeeee....... *falls into pit and dies*.

Also this. Check it out.

width=700 height=200http://i.imgur.com/J4rrGt6.png[/img]

There's no such thing as "the player" outside of client-only code. There may be any number of players in a

World

You should override

Block#onBlockDestroyedByPlayer

instead, making sure to only send the message on one side.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

There's no such thing as "the player" outside of client-only code. There may be any number of players in a

World

You should override

Got it. So I should write @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT) and then below override onBlockDestroyedByPlayer. Makes sense.

EDIT 1

There is no EntityPlayer parameter for onBlockDestroyedByPlayer. It's got the same parameters as breakBlock. I suppose it makes sense, for instance a block could be destroyed by an explosion and I suppose they wanted another method that specifies that this should only happen when the block is destroyed by a player. However, there's no EntityPlayer parameter, meaning this helps me the same amount as breakBlock. However, looking again, there seems to be 3 functions that could be correct and DO have the EntityPlayer parameter: onBlockHarvested, removedByPlayer and harvestBlock. Any one of those could potentially be it, but I'm not sure which one or if any at all.

Who are you? Why have you brought me here? And why are there so many PewDiePie fanboys surrounding meeeeeeeee....... *falls into pit and dies*.

Also this. Check it out.

World

You should override

Got it. So I should write @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT) and then below override onBlockDestroyedByPlayer. Makes sense.

No. Never use

@SideOnly

unless the method you're overriding uses it. This method is called on both sides.

Instead, check the value of the

World#isRemote

field (

true

on the client,

false

on the server). I usually send chat messages from the server side, but I don't think it matters as long as you only do it from one.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

EDIT 1

There is no EntityPlayer parameter for onBlockDestroyedByPlayer. It's got the same parameters as breakBlock. I suppose it makes sense, for instance a block could be destroyed by an explosion and I suppose they wanted another method that specifies that this should only happen when the block is destroyed by a player. However, there's no EntityPlayer parameter, meaning this helps me the same amount as breakBlock. However, looking again, there seems to be 3 functions that could be correct and DO have the EntityPlayer parameter: onBlockHarvested, removedByPlayer and harvestBlock. Any one of those could potentially be it, but I'm not sure which one or if any at all.

Ah, I missed that.

onBlockHarvested

should work. This is only called server-side by vanilla, so send the message when

World#isRemote

is

false

Is there a way that I can send it client-side using onBlockHarvested? Because I want the message to be visible only to the player that destroyed the block, not everyone on the server.

Also this. Check it out.

Ah. Ok. Thanks. Also, side question: how could I check from a TileEntity if a block has been right-clicked? Thanks!

EDIT 1 (unrelated to side question)

player.sendChatMessage does not seem to exist.

EDIT 2

Stupid me. It's addChatMessage, not send.

Also this. Check it out.

EDIT 1 (unrelated to side question)

player.sendChatMessage does not seem to exist.

Use

EntityPlayer#addChatComponentMessage

You don't specifically do it from the TileEntity. You override onBlockActivated in your Block and then maybe call a method in your TileEntity from there.

Got it. Thanks.

Also this. Check it out.