Testing a custom version of Forge

Nephroid

Hello, I'm writing a Java class to test some functions that I wrote, but it seems that ItemStack.getItem() is returning null.

Here is the relevant portion my test class:

public class Test
{
    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
        ItemStack testItem = new ItemStack(Blocks.cobblestone);
        System.out.println(testItem.getItem()); // Prints null
    }
}

Is there some special way to get the item, or does testing this way not work?

Edit:

To be more precise, I'm writing an API for Forge, and I want to test it. I have already followed the instructions here: https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/wiki/If-you-want-to-contribute-to-Forge

I'm trying to test an API function, so I don't think setting up a mod is that straightforward.

I used this link to set up my project, so I'm not sure where the mods go. (I'm pretty sure this project doesn't have a functioning Minecraft either; I get something about missing lwjgl when I try to run net.minecraft.client.main.Main, so I assume Minecraft isn't installed.)

Do I have to run gradlew genPatches, then gradlew setupDecompWorkspace, then create a mod every time I want to test something?

Setting up mod is "that straightforward". Mods are being loaded by FML - That happens during game initialization. You can't just get something that doesn't exist yet. In this case Blocks.cobblestone is null because it hasn't been initialized yet.

Anyway: http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php?topic=14048.0#post_update_forge

Follow steps, you will get generic mod, then do whetever you want. API is not a program itself, it's an API that need something to run on (MC, thet need to be setup).

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.