Item Tooltip is under other GUI Icons because its drawn earlier

Bedrock_Miner

Heyho Guys!

I have a small problem concerning GUIs.

I created a GUI wich should show you how to craft something. I didnt use a container for this, I created the rendering positions and textures on my own. Basically there are a few itemstacks rendered after each other. When you hover over them you can see their ItemTooltip. Each tooltip is shown (if necessary) directly after the corresponding stack has been rendered. The problem is: The tooltip is rendered below the stacks that are drawn later although it shouldn't because of the zLevel (200 for the Items and 300 for the tooltip).

How can I fix this?

GL11.glDisable(GL11.GL_LIGHTING);
				GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_BLEND);
				GL11.glTranslatef(0, 0, 400);
				this.fontRendererObj.drawString(I18n.format("container.crafting", new Object[0]), x + 5, y + 10, 0);
				GL11.glTranslatef(0, 0, -400);
				GLUtil.resetColour();
				this.mc.getTextureManager().bindTexture(overlay_craft);
				this.zLevel = 30;
				this.drawTexturedModalRectWithSize(x, y, 160, 174, 0, 0, 160, 174);
				GLUtil.resetColour();
				this.drawItemStack((ItemStack) entry.getCommand_data()[args[0]], x + 109, y + 80, "");
				if (this.isMouseInside(mousex, mousey, x + 109, y + 80, x + 125, y + 96))
					this.renderToolTip((ItemStack) entry.getCommand_data()[args[0]], mousex, mousey);
				for (int i = 0; i < 3; i ++) {
					for (int j = 0; j < 3; j ++) {
						GLUtil.resetColour();
						GL11.glDisable(GL11.GL_LIGHTING);
						this.drawItemStack((ItemStack) entry.getCommand_data()[args[j + i*3 + 1]], x + 25 + 18 * j, y + 62 + 18 * i, "");
					}
				}
				for (int i = 0; i < 3; i ++) {
					for (int j = 0; j < 3; j ++) {
						if (this.isMouseInside(mousex, mousey, x + 25 + 18 * j, y + 62 + 18 * i, x + 41 + 18 * j, y + 78 + 18 * i))
							this.renderToolTip((ItemStack) entry.getCommand_data()[args[j + i*3 + 1]], mousex, mousey);
					}
				}

The methods renderToolTip and renderItemStack are taken from GuiContainer

The tooltip is rendered below the stacks that are drawn later although it shouldn't because of the zLevel (200 for the Items and 300 for the tooltip).

…If you can read you have an advantage.

And I can't change the order because the crafting grid should be rendered twice on screen and this must happen one after another because of some other code structures.

I looked into the Code of NEI and I didn't understand much,  but it seems like ChickenBones renders the tooltips after the items, exactly like it's done in GUIContainer.

I also checked out the drawToolTip method and found out that it diaables GL_DEPTH_TEST while it draws the tooltip on the screen. Its re-enabled afterwards, but can this be the cause of this problem? And if, what can I do against it?

Solution A:

Do -not- render the tooltip while rendering the item-stacks.  Iterate over your stacks a -second- time after the initial rendering, only rendering the tooltip for the mouse-over stack the second pass.

Solution B:

Implement a deferred tooltip render.  Again instead of rendering the tooltip immediately with the stack, setup a deferred rendering.  I do this in my GUIs by grabing a reference to the item-stack and the x,y position the tooltip is supposed to render at (this is setup while doing the initial stack rendering).  After stack rendering I quickly grab my deferred tooltip data and render that.  If the mouse is over a stack in the stack rendering, set the tooltip stack reference to that stack and set the x,y position, render the tooltip after the stacks, and set the tooltip stack back to null -- that way you know if the tooltip stack is -not- null that you have a tooltip to render.