[Solved]Is it possible to play a sound file at an entity on a loop?

mrgreaper

**edit**

solved, if you find this when looking for the same issue see page 2 for how it was solved....because yeah its horrible when your researching an issue and find someone that has the same problem who then goes *solved* with out saying how lol, recommend you read through the whole thread though.

**end of edit**

**edit 2**

seems its not solved, can fix the server side crashes using a proxy so all good crash wise but now on a server you get no sound! its fine single player (which is a server/client) arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

**end of edit2**

ok i know how to play a sound file at an entity, but is there anyway to make it loop for as long as a boolean is true

my ultimate plan will be while the block is getting a redstone signal it would play a sound on a loop (the sound will target the tile entity rather then the block of course)

i have googled and cant find any info on it, i can get a sound file to play multiple times at the same time though .....not quite the effect i want lol

so is it possible?

if so how?

many thanks in advance

hmmm cant find that class, could that be a 1.6.4 class?

i found in net.minecraft.audio MovingSound but i cant get my head around how they are using it.

for clarity the sound doesnt have to move with the entity as the entity should never be moving, onEntity is just how i have upto now delt with sound as its all been player based

im gonna delve back into the files and see if i can suss this, its damn confusing though

Herp derp, i had the old filename from 1.6.4 in my head. It's MovingSoundMinecart.

i dont get it,

i see where it sets the resource location, i can see that what calls it passes on the minecart entity,

i can see where the x y and z are gotten

i can see where it sets donePlaying (that bit is useful)

i can see its actually tracking the entity so the sound moves with the entity (could be useful in the future indeed but my entity wont be moving, always good for the future as i say though)

i can see where it sets the volume

but i cant see where it actually plays the sound on a loop,

im guessing it sends the sound to a function that will repeat the sound until donePlaying = false but i cant see where it does that?

Have i missed something blatent? (its possible i have been working on my mod all day)

Ok i know that it is better to hint how to do it and help the other person to learn but im stuck 100%,  i have made progress, i have googled but i need more help, sorry but i just dont get it.

heres what i have done, i have created a sound handler for looped sounds (since its method is MAJORLY different to how im used to making sounds)

public class SoundHandlerLooped extends PositionedSound implements ITickableSound {
        protected boolean donePlaying = false;

public SoundHandlerLooped(ResourceLocation path,int xCord,int yCord,int zCord, float volume, float pitch) {
            super(path);
            this.repeat = true;
            this.volume = volume;
            this.field_147663_c = pitch;
            this.xPosF = xCord;
            this.yPosF = yCord;
            this.zPosF = zCord;
            this.field_147665_h = 0;
        }

public SoundHandlerLooped(String path,int xCord,int yCord,int zCord, float volume, float pitch) {
            this(new ResourceLocation(path), xCord,yCord,zCord, volume, pitch);
        }

@Override
        public boolean isDonePlaying() {
            return this.donePlaying;
        }

@Override
    public void update() {

}
}

then i added in my redstone detection code on my block

public boolean isactive = false;
    private ISound testSound2 ;

public TileEntity createNewTileEntity(World world, int i) {
        return new TileEntitySpeaker();
    }

public void onNeighborBlockChange(World world,int xCord, int yCord, int zCord,Block blockID) {
        LogHelper.info("change");
        if (!world.isRemote && world.isBlockIndirectlyGettingPowered(xCord, yCord, zCord))
        {
            LogHelper.info("I see it i see it!");
            testSound2 = new SoundHandlerLooped(Reference.MODID + ":alarm-genericB", xCord, yCord, zCord, 1, 1);
            Minecraft.getMinecraft().getSoundHandler().playSound(testSound2);
        }else{
            isactive = false;
        }
        if (!isactive){
            // testSound2.isDonePlaying = true;
            //why wont that work?!?
        }
    }

only to stop the sound (if i understand correctly) i need to change the sound handlers (in thiscase the object known as testSound2)  isDonePlaying to true to make to sound stop....but testSound2.isDonePlaying is not valid

thats not the only issue

when redstone is led to the block and signal is applied the sound file plays in a loop! yay

when the signal is stopped the sound carrys on (but ofcourse as we cant tell isDonePlaying to be true)

if you log out when redstone is applied and log in again the sound does not play until you turn off the signal and turn it on again

so heres where im stuck

1) how do i tell it to make isDonePlaying true?

2) unrelated to sound (i think) but have i missed something on onNeighborBlockChange ? (all looks right from Block.class)

Well im still stuck

this is very frustrating

my block class:

public class blockSpeaker extends Block {

public blockSpeaker(Material material) {
        super(material);

this.setHardness(3.0f);
        this.setResistance(5.0f);
        this.setStepSound(soundTypeMetal);
        this.setCreativeTab(TwistedMod2.TwistedModTab);
    }

public boolean isactive = false;

}

public void onNeighborBlockChange(World world,int xCord, int yCord, int zCord,Block blockID) {
        LogHelper.info("change");
        if (!world.isRemote && world.isBlockIndirectlyGettingPowered(xCord, yCord, zCord))
        {
            LogHelper.info("I see it i see it!");
            testSound2 = new SoundHandlerLooped(Reference.MODID + ":alarm-genericB", xCord, yCord, zCord, 1, 1);
            Minecraft.getMinecraft().getSoundHandler().playSound(testSound2);
        }

if (!world.isRemote && !world.isBlockIndirectlyGettingPowered(xCord, yCord, zCord)){
            testSound2.setcontinuePlaying(false);
        }
    }

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    public void registerBlockIcons(IIconRegister iconRegister) {
        this.blockIcon = iconRegister.registerIcon(Reference.MODID + ":" + this.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));
    }
}

my SoundHandlerLooped class

package com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.handlers;

import net.minecraft.client.audio.ITickableSound;
import net.minecraft.client.audio.PositionedSound;
import net.minecraft.tileentity.TileEntity;
import net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation;

/**
* Created by david on 06/07/2014.
*/
public class SoundHandlerLooped extends PositionedSound implements ITickableSound {
        protected boolean donePlaying = false;
        private boolean continuePlaying;

public SoundHandlerLooped(ResourceLocation path,int xCord,int yCord,int zCord, float volume, float pitch) {
            super(path);
            this.repeat = true;
            this.volume = volume;
            this.field_147663_c = pitch;
            this.xPosF = xCord;
            this.yPosF = yCord;
            this.zPosF = zCord;
            this.field_147665_h = 0;
        }

public SoundHandlerLooped(String path,int xCord,int yCord,int zCord, float volume, float pitch) {
            this(new ResourceLocation(path), xCord,yCord,zCord, volume, pitch);
        }

@Override
            return this.donePlaying;
        }

@Override
    public void update() {
        if(!continuePlaying){this.donePlaying=false;}
    }

public void setContinuePlaying(boolean var1) {
        this.continuePlaying = var1;
    }
}

At first glance they may seem the same as earlier quoted but theres minor changes

the soundHandlerLooped has no errors on it code wise (well according to idea)

the block class has an error ...it cant see setcontinuePlaying in the line testSound2.setcontinuePlaying(false);

I have Re-read instancing and encaptuations to make sure i have this right but clearly i dont (or is mc doing something strange?)

ok as i uderstand it when i run

and then later (upon recieving a redstone signal)

i have created an instance of SoundHandlerLooped called testSound2 (and im assuming, linked to the instance of the block)

so to access the setter method setcontinuePlaying i should just be able to do testSound2.setcontinuePlaying(false) ie Instance name . method name ( value i want to pass on)

if i was to change setcontinuePlaying to static i would then have to change boolean continuePlaying to static i could reference it via the class name (ie SoundHandlerLooped.setcontinuePlaying(false) ) BUT all instances of SoundHandlerLooped would be effected ...as well its a static value so turn off one loop you turn off them all

one of the sources that made instances clear to me is http://journals.ecs.soton.ac.uk/java/tutorial/java/javaOO/classvars.html ....is that incorrect? in which case i have gone horribly wrong

so frustrating

create a single one time sound you just need a function

public static void miniSoundPlay(String soundName,Entity entityName){
        World world = entityName.worldObj;
        world.playSoundAtEntity(entityName,(Reference.MODID+":"+soundName),1,1);
    }

and call it when you need sound

SoundHandler.miniSoundPlay("evilvoice-IsItDead",event.player);

to play a looped sound file you need a seperate class and some sort of advanced physics degree in computer stuff (its 3 am and i have been working on this since around 2100, (i didnt post here until i was sure i couldnt find the info elsewhere) im a little fryed)

Though your help has been appreciated (i wouldnt of gotten this far with out the hints you gave) and hay i have a looping sound...i cant kill it but i have it

havent looked into switching it to be in the tile entity yet or making it persistant, need to figure out how to turn it on and off first then can look at the rest

In my google searches i saw Calclavia had the same issue and solved it, he said in his post he created a tutorial, but the link did not work. So i asked in his thread how he solved the issue.

I just checked back and found that thread deleted (it was in general discussion), rather displeased about that as im still looking to fix this and there was someone that knew the answer, a thread specificly about the issue im facing and its gone :(

i have linked calclavia to this thread with luck he will renember the solution :) (if he gets time to look, i know he is a busy man)

For now though i need sleep very much so, maybe when i awake i will see it with fresh eyes.

I don't know much about playing sound, but it seems that most of your problem is related to having the repeat and the resource and other fields and methods are mostly protected.

I have used a trick before, and it probably isn't good Java practice, but you can say that your class belongs to package net.minecraft.client.audio and then it will have access to all the protected fields in the various sound-related classes.  In your class you can make public methods that expose those fields to the rest of your mod's classes.

I'm not sure what the side effect, if any, of referencing the package as a minecraft package.  It seems to make the IDE happy, and in Eclipse at least it creates a folder in my workspace and not in the file folders where the minecraft package library actually resides. 

Anyway, since you're working so hard at this figured I'd throw you a tip even though I'm not very familiar with doing much with sound in mods.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

1st of all: You should probably subclass MovingSound, not PositionedSound. Then you already have the "donePlaying" Field and the "isDonePlaying" method.

Why you can't access the setter is the follwing: You've declared your Sound field as ISound. So even though you have stored YOUR class into it, the field is still declared as holding and ISound instance. So you are not actually sure that it could (theoretically) not contain anything else, NOT your class.

So when you access the field, you can of course only interact with it like with any ISound object.

Furthermore you still have your Sound field in your Block. That means you will not be able to play multiple instances of your sound at once!

hmmm i think i need to delete that bit entirely and start again on it! too edits - deletes - additions its not what it was lol

Im not sure movingsound would be right as my sound doesnt need to move but i will re-look at the files

yeah i know i need to move it to the tile entity i just wanted to get it working first lol

as i say its really strange that something so simple ( a repeating until told not to sound file) is so damn complicated and undocumented in tutorial form for any of the minecraft versions.

please understand though that despite my frustrations your help has been and is greatly appreciated.

Just to clarify: This is not all that complicated. You just don't have copy-paste code ready for you in "Tutorial" form and have to actually use your programming skills and to be honest with you: It shows that you are not actually a programmer, which you need to be to make mods.

nope im not a programmer, i have spent many hours/days/weeks following java guides and learning what i need to learn when stuck.

I do not just copy and paste from tutorials! i like to know what im adding and why it works how it works, this is why i spent so many hours on getting that part to work.

A good tutorial will guide you through doing something and teach you how to do it, not just a "heres some code, copy that"

When i have discovered a way to do something i feel no one else has i have done a guide for it for others, with that approach in mind.

But at the end of the day im modding for fun in my free time, im off work this week so i decided to focus on my mod. Last night started of as a challenge, can i do this, and indeed in a mess, i am completly stuck on it, you say its not all that complicated, maybe to yourself it isnt (in which case for the love of god how is it done!) for me its damn confusing.

i keep going back to the source code of minecraft but the only way to turn it off i can see is the death of the entity its attached to, thats not the case of a minecart though. in many mods theres the sound being played in a loop while the machine is on, just no open source ones i can think of.

To be honest the posts i have made in this thread should show im not just copy-pasting tutorial guides!

Ok, I'll guide you through the MovingSoundMinecart class (the classname MovingSound is stupid btw, it's should be LoopingSound. Every sound can move):

First, we have a Field holding the EntityMinecart object, should be obvious. In your case this would refer to your TileEntity.

Then we have a float field which is computed from the Minecart's motion to adjust the sound. You will not need this as your TileEntity obviously doesn't move.

The constructor should also be self-explanatory, the important thing is to set repeat to true.

Then we have the update method, which is called every tick (because this class implements ITickableSound).

This just checks if the minecart is "dead" yet and if so, stops the sound. You do the same with your TileEntity, the equivalent method would be .isInvalid().

Otherwise, if it's not dead it updates the position of the sound, which again you don't need to do because your TileEntity doesn't move.

Now, which part of this do you find hard or complicated?

I think i was thrown by the name of it, it does indeed make sense like that, i will retry once i have fixed an issue im working with and edit this post with the result.

Thank you, sometimes having the code explained helps no end even when once explained it seems obvious, some times the wood just cant be seen for all trees so to speak.

ok im still stuck, everything i have seems to suggest it SHOULD work

but no sound is played.

the code that should start the sound fires

the code that should stop the sound fires

but no sound

also no errors or anything to use to find out where its going wrong.

I have recorded a video as well to better show where the issue is and what parts are working but im totally stuck again.

the classes i have that deal with this

The block class https://gist.github.com/mrgreaper/d872e672f5ec076d8ebf

package com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.blocks;

import com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.TwistedMod2;
import com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.entitys.TileEntitySpeaker;
import com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.handlers.SoundHandler;
import com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.handlers.SoundHandlerLooped;
import com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.reference.Reference;
import com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.utility.LogHelper;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.Side;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.SideOnly;
import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.block.BlockContainer;
import net.minecraft.block.material.Material;
import net.minecraft.client.Minecraft;
import net.minecraft.client.audio.ISound;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.IIconRegister;
import net.minecraft.util.IIcon;
import net.minecraft.world.IBlockAccess;
import net.minecraft.world.World;

/**
* Created by david on 23/06/2014.
*/
public class blockSpeaker extends BlockContainer {

private boolean isOn;

//@SideOnly(Side.SERVER)
public IIcon activeIcon;

public blockSpeaker(Material material) {
super(material);

this.setHardness(3.0f);
}

}

public void onNeighborBlockChange(World world, int xCord, int yCord, int zCord, Block blockID) {
LogHelper.info(this.isOn);
if (!world.isRemote) {
if (this.isOn && !world.isBlockIndirectlyGettingPowered(xCord, yCord, zCord)) {
world.scheduleBlockUpdate(xCord, yCord, zCord, this, 4); //hmmm not sure what the 4 is
isOn = false;
TileEntitySpeaker spealer2 = (TileEntitySpeaker) world.getTileEntity(xCord, yCord, zCord);
spealer2.setShouldStop(true);
} else if (!this.isOn && world.isBlockIndirectlyGettingPowered(xCord, yCord, zCord)) {
isOn = true;
TileEntitySpeaker spealer2 = (TileEntitySpeaker) world.getTileEntity(xCord, yCord, zCord);
spealer2.activateSpeaker(true, "alarm-genericA");

}
}
}

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
this.blockIcon = iconRegister.registerIcon(Reference.MODID + ":" + this.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));
this.activeIcon = iconRegister.registerIcon(Reference.MODID + ":" + this.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5) + "_active");
}

@Override
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public IIcon getIcon(IBlockAccess world, int x, int y, int z, int side) {

TileEntitySpeaker speaker = (TileEntitySpeaker) world.getTileEntity(x, y, z);

return speaker.isActived() ? activeIcon : blockIcon;
}
}

The tile Entity class https://gist.github.com/mrgreaper/d110ac8a89786aeeef20

package com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.entitys;

import com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.handlers.SoundHandlerLooped;
import com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.utility.LogHelper;
import net.minecraft.client.Minecraft;
import net.minecraft.nbt.NBTTagCompound;
import net.minecraft.world.World;

/**
*/
public class TileEntitySpeaker extends TileEntity {
private String soundName = " ";
private boolean isPlaying;
private boolean shouldStop;
public boolean Actived;
private boolean start = false;
private SoundHandlerLooped alarmSound;

public boolean isActived() {
return Actived;
}

public void activateSpeaker(boolean active, String sndName) {
Actived = active;
soundName = sndName;
LogHelper.info(active + sndName);
shouldStop = false;
start = true;
}

public void setShouldStop(boolean toggle) {
shouldStop = toggle;
}

@Override
public void updateEntity() {
//LogHelper.info("Start = "+start);
if (start) {
LogHelper.info("YES DETECETED");
alarmSound = new SoundHandlerLooped(worldObj.getTileEntity(xCoord, yCoord, zCoord), soundName);
start = false;
isPlaying = true;
if (!worldObj.isRemote) {
LogHelper.info("YES IS CLIENT SIDE");
Minecraft.getMinecraft().getSoundHandler().playSound(alarmSound);
}
}
if (isPlaying && shouldStop) {
LogHelper.info("stopping sound");
isInvalid();
shouldStop = false;
}
}

@Override
public void readFromNBT(NBTTagCompound nbt) {
super.readFromNBT(nbt);

soundName = nbt.getString("sndName");
isPlaying = nbt.getBoolean("isPlay");
shouldStop = nbt.getBoolean("shouldStop");
Actived = nbt.getBoolean("activated");

//nbt tags will be loaded in here...none at mo

}

@Override
public void writeToNBT(NBTTagCompound nbt) {
super.writeToNBT(nbt);

nbt.setString("sndName", soundName);
nbt.setBoolean("isPlay", isPlaying);
nbt.setBoolean("shouldStop", shouldStop);
nbt.setBoolean("activated", Actived);
//nbt tags will be saved in here when we have some
}
}

The SoundHandlerLooped class (which is a copy of movingsoundminecart with out the movement code)

https://gist.github.com/mrgreaper/c14555f29379ad209a72

package com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.handlers;

import com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.reference.Reference;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.Side;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.SideOnly;
import net.minecraft.client.audio.ITickableSound;
import net.minecraft.client.audio.MovingSound;
import net.minecraft.client.audio.PositionedSound;
import net.minecraft.entity.item.EntityMinecart;
import net.minecraft.util.MathHelper;
import net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation;

/**
*/
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public class SoundHandlerLooped extends MovingSound {
private final TileEntity tileentity;

public SoundHandlerLooped(TileEntity tile, String Soundname) {
super(new ResourceLocation(Reference.MODID + ":" + Soundname));
this.tileentity = tile;
this.repeat = true;
}

public void update() {
if (this.tileentity.isInvalid()) {
this.donePlaying = true;
}
}

@Override
return this.donePlaying;
}
}

The Video showing the issue and code:

[media]http://youtu.be/5Vcw7Q59YBw[/media]

doesnt seem to want to embed the video http://youtu.be/5Vcw7Q59YBw

a) ah damn it, i always think of it from the clients point of view so server would be remote but ofcourse im wrong, playing about with that in my present code still results in no sound though.

b) yep im a muppet i forgot that, i will look at metadata again(need to refresh myself on that as i figured i would never need it)

c) The ultimate end goal is to have a gui open on right clicking the block so you can choose the alarm sound to play on redstone input, that kind of needs a constant tile entity. .... i think though i have to accept that it cant be done on a constant tile entity and go the simpler route that does make more sense to me. 

the issue still remains that the sound did not play at all despite the code for it to play being triggered , no errors either so i cant even locate where the issue is if i could find where movingsoundminecart is used to trigger sound i would be able to check how im playing my sound is correct but its not in the logical places .

Ok progress of sorts

video explains it better --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55UJfX1CXjs (at time of posting youtube is still processing so 1080p may be a few mins)

i now have the speaker block setup as metadata so its actually 2 blocks so to speak

public class blockSpeaker extends BlockContainer {

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    private IIcon[] texture;
    final static String[] metaBlocks = new String[] {"notActive","isActive"}; //this will be the different meta data blocks

public blockSpeaker() {
        super(Material.iron);
        this.setHardness(3.0f);
    }

@Override
    public void onNeighborBlockChange(World world, int xCord, int yCord, int zCord, Block blockID) {
            if (!world.isRemote &&!world.isBlockIndirectlyGettingPowered(xCord, yCord, zCord)) {

world.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(xCord,yCord,zCord,0,3);
                world.removeTileEntity(xCord,yCord,zCord);

} else if (!world.isRemote && world.isBlockIndirectlyGettingPowered(xCord, yCord, zCord)) {
                world.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(xCord,yCord,zCord,1,3);

}
    }

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
        texture = new IIcon[metaBlocks.length];

for (int i = 0; i< metaBlocks.length;i++){
            texture[i] = iconRegister.registerIcon(Reference.MODID + ":" + "speaker-"+metaBlocks[i]);
        }
    }

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    public void getSubBlocks(Item block,CreativeTabs creativeTabs, List list){
        for (int i = 0; i< metaBlocks.length;i++){
            list.add(new ItemStack(block,1,i));
        }
    }

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    public IIcon getIcon(int side,int meta){
        return  texture[meta];
    }

public int damageDropped(int meta){
        return  meta;
    }

@Override
    public TileEntity createNewTileEntity(World world, int metadata) {
        if (metadata ==1){
            return new TileEntityAlarm();
        }
        return null;
    }
} 

meta 0 is its inactive state

meta 1 is its active state

meta 1 has the tile entity

tile entity:

public class TileEntityAlarm extends TileEntity {

private boolean isPlaying = false;
    private String soundName ="alarm-scifiA"; //set a default sound file...though i doubt we can change it

@Override

LogHelper.info("ping ping ping ping ping ");
        if (!isPlaying){
            //code to start the alarm
            SoundHandlerLooped alarmSound = new SoundHandlerLooped(worldObj.getTileEntity(xCoord, yCoord, zCoord), soundName);
            Minecraft.getMinecraft().getSoundHandler().playSound(alarmSound);
            isPlaying=true;
        }
    }

//since the sound will be stopped when we relaunchmc or in theory go to far from the chunk and it de-loads its
    //better to have it we load the isplaying at false so it restarts it
    //just need to save ths sound name were looping
    @Override
        super.readFromNBT(nbt);
    }

@Override
        super.writeToNBT(nbt);

}

}

ignore the sound name being a string, its a hold back from when i thought i would be able to set that from a gui in the block, thats clearly impossible as the block will only have a tileentity when playing the sound(HA if it can ever actually play the sound!, yep im losing hope...and possibly the will to live)

the soundHandlerLooped is unchanged from further up

so what happens?

well when i place it in the world as its inactive form nothing will happen...its just a block.... good so far

i give it a redstone signal:

1)it changes to its active form ...JACKPOT

2) the tile entity is created and i see my test text "ping ping ping "

3) no sound, audio da 0, natta in the sound department, the noise of silence

i remove the redstone signall:

1) block goes back to its non active form

2) the entity is removed and the test text cease being there

I know you guys dont like to just hand the solution over, normaly i prefer that method as i learn by doing and enjoy the odd challenge...BUT i have been at this all day and most of yesterday, it has ceased being fun a long time ago, now i just want to get this issue behind me, please, why is my sound not playing?, what do i need to do to play the sound?

1) You don't need removeTileEntity, if you'd followed my advice and used hasTileEntity to specify which metadata values have a TileEntity.

2) In your TileEntity#onUpdate you should check if the world is the client world (with .isRemote). Otherwise you'll get Threading problems eventually in Singleplayer and a dedicated server will crash entirely.

3) For your sound not playing... Is your sounds.json, etc. set up correctly? Have you tried just playing the sound normally with just world.playSound to see if the sound itself actually works?

4) For the sound name... What makes you think you can't set it? Of course you can set the sound name just fine. You can have a TE for the non-active metadata as well, just don't make it play the sound.

1) i dont know how to use hasTileEntity, ill look into that.

2) eeeeek!

3) custom sounds working perfectly for anything non Looped, i was one of the first to figure it out on 1.7.2 (and actually wrote the guide on it lol)  http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/MrGReapers_tutorials/1.7.2_sound_tutorial

4) i didnt think you could have two tile entitys in the same space (whole quantum explosion scenario) ?

I will be honest i am at the stage where i could really do with seeing how its actually done, hints are good and welcome but i have been bashing my head at this issue for 2 days now, i know some forge team are of the belief unless you are a hard core programmer you should not be modding but please renember thier are hobby coders such as myself, i dont just cut and paste i work out how stuff is done to, look over my code and you will see that. when i discover something new i share that knowledge :

For 1.7.2 (and 1.7.10)

adding speech synth : http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/MrGReapers_tutorials/1.7.2_how_to_add_a_speech_Synth

adding a chatbot : http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Tutorials/MrGReapers_tutorials/1.7.2_how_to_add_a_chatbot_to_your_mod

and the aforementioned sound guide (standard custom sounds)

when i have a java issue i try to learn all i can to solve it and make sure that (to my ability) i know how it works

i even went through a few of the recommanded learn java tutorials in my little free time to learn more

At one point when i was first starting out i came to the irc channel for help, was riddliculed for my lack of java knowledge and banned, it almost resulted in me giving up on it entirely.

what is my point you may be wondering? well if you have knowledge that can make this work (or really anything some one is stuck on) what does it hurt to share that knowledge? to help that person. you must be able to tell how much grief this issue is causing me, would it hurt to actually show how its done? to give a quick explanation of how it works (im not talking about the hasTile entitiy bit, i havent researched that yet at all , but the playing the sound bit, you can see i have tried to make it work, you can see the approaches i have made, love of god put me out of my misery and let me know how its done!)

edit: seems that hasTileEntity is depreciated

@Deprecated //Forge: New Metadata sensitive version.
    public boolean hasTileEntity()
    {
        return hasTileEntity(0);
    }

sure enough when i try to over ride it i get a line through it.

1) i dont know how to use hasTileEntity, ill look into that.

It's just a method you override.

2) eeeeek!
Huh?

3) custom sounds working perfectly for anything non Looped, i was one of the first to figure it out on 1.7.2 (and actually wrote the guide on it lol)  http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/MrGReapers_tutorials/1.7.2_sound_tutorial
Oh ok. I saw that part of your video, too. But I meant the actual sound you are trying to play looped.

4) i didnt think you could have two tile entitys in the same space (whole quantum explosion scenario) ?
Of course you can't do that. You'll have only one TileEntity at a time. One when it's powered and another one when it's not powered.

what is my point you may be wondering? well if you have knowledge that can make this work (or really anything some one is stuck on) what does it hurt to share that knowledge? to help that person. you must be able to tell how much grief this issue is causing me, would it hurt to actually show how its done? to give a quick explanation of how it works (im not talking about the hasTile entitiy bit, i havent researched that yet at all , but the playing the sound bit, you can see i have tried to make it work, you can see the approaches i have made, love of god put me out of my misery and let me know how its done!)
I haven't done this myself yet, either. I am going by the code.

edit: seems that hasTileEntity is depreciated

@Deprecated //Forge: New Metadata sensitive version.
    public boolean hasTileEntity()
    {
        return hasTileEntity(0);
    }

sure enough when i try to over ride it i get a line through it.

Well, maybe READ what it fu**ing says there? .. Srsly.

1) yeah i understand that but at first glance its a boolen so you can only pass true and false no way to specify the tile entity name etc, ofcourse mute as its deapreciated

2) its short for oh crap i hadnt noticed that, what a muppet i am, i should fix that.

3) yes the sound works is indexed perfectly etc but only when played in the same way as i play other sounds and not when played looped.

4) but if you cant have two tile entitys in the same place at the same time how do you send data from one to the other? the only way i know how to get and set data is to specificly reference it, if only one can exist at a time then how do you do that....i guess i could make it a small multiblock, a controller and a sounder.

"Well, maybe READ what it fu**ing says there? .. Srsly."

? i did, its deapreciated, there is no more to it then i posted above and bellow are different methods, that seem irelevent to it

above deals with tick setting

bellow deals with block bounds

i am on forge 1166 so maybe the version of forge you have gives extra details? what to use instead would be handy lol

I haven't done this myself yet, either. I am going by the code.

ok sorry, i thought you knew how its done, but had decided to give hints rather then tell how, didnt realise you were likewise stumped, my bad. if its got a forge moderator stumped its possible its just not doable.

i do https://github.com/mrgreaper/TwistedMod2-reboot

Ok clearly past me is a muppet! when i copyed the movingsoundminecart class i removed all the code that delt with it moving with the mine cart....i dont need that code says past mrgreaper.

what actual me just discovered is that since that code actualy sets the xyz and volume of the sound, its pretty important...well ok its not but those values are ...past me your such a moron!

ok so having dutifully chastised myself i now have the sound playing in a loop it turns on and off as the block changes now i desperatly need food and a cafine injection then i will work on making a new block that will use 1 tile entity that can store the sound file we want to play (well the name) and can have the sound started and stopped at command...then i can work on adding a gui where the alarm can be chosen from a list

But my god im glad i have a looping sound working, i was pretty much losing my sanity over it (those that look at my mod may argue that its too late for that)

Ok so i managed to get it done with 1 tile entity (both on and off functionality, as well as the ability to work more then once...hay that may not sound impressive but well...it is ok!)

Incase others stumble on this thread with the same issue here is a rather over commented version of the related files :) (note though this may not be the best or the right way to do it lol)

The block file

public class blockAlarmSpeaker extends BlockContainer {

private TileEntitySpeaker tile; //we will need this for checking booleans and methods that are unique to TileEntitySpeaker

public blockAlarmSpeaker(Material material) {
        super(material);

this.setHardness(3.0f);
    }

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    }

@Override
        return new TileEntitySpeaker(); //creating the tile entity
    }

@Override
        if (!world.isRemote && !world.isBlockIndirectlyGettingPowered(xCord, yCord, zCord)) { //ok so if we are server side and we are NOT getting power but there has been a block update
            tile = (TileEntitySpeaker) world.getTileEntity(xCord, yCord, zCord); //we make sure tile is the TileEntity that is located at our blocks location
            tile.setShouldStop(true); //we tell the tileEntitySpeaker that we want shouldStop to be true
        }
        if (!world.isRemote && world.isBlockIndirectlyGettingPowered(xCord, yCord, zCord)) { //we check to see if we are server side and if the block is getting powered and if theres been a block update around us
            tile = (TileEntitySpeaker) world.getTileEntity(xCord, yCord, zCord); //we make sure that tile is the TileEntitySpeaker thats at our blocks location (ok were not checking it is a TileEntitySpeaker, more casting it as...should be though unless something went wrong)
            tile.setShouldStart(true); //we tell the tileEntitySpeaker that we want shouldStart to be true
        }
    }
}

the tile entity

private boolean isPlaying = false; //when the tile entity is created we want to have it not playing
    private boolean shouldStart = false; //the triger we will use to start the sound
    private boolean shouldStop = false;
    private String soundName = "alarm-airraidA"; //setting the default sound name, later a gui will allow me to change it
    private float volume = 2f; //default volume set to 2 that should be 32 block radius, later a gui will help me to change it

@Override
        if (!isPlaying && shouldStart) {//check to see if we are not already playing (to stop infinite amounts playing) and if we should start
            shouldStart = false; //set should start to false to stop us trying to play more
            shouldStop = false; //this is so when we have played and then stopped we can play again...yeah that was a bugger to solve!
            isPlaying = true; //we tell it we are now playing
            // AlarmHandler alarm = new AlarmHandler(TileEntitySpeaker.this, soundName,volume,this);
            AlarmHandler2 alarm2 = new AlarmHandler2(worldObj.getTileEntity(xCoord, yCoord, zCoord), "alarm-airraidA"); //create a new instance of the alarmhandler2
            Minecraft.getMinecraft().getSoundHandler().playSound(alarm2); //make some noise
        }

}

public boolean isShouldStop() { //so we can see if we should stop this method allows checking for it
        return shouldStop;
    }

public void setShouldStart(boolean shouldStart) { //this is what we call from our block and set to true to play sound
        this.shouldStart = shouldStart;
    }

public void setShouldStop(boolean shouldStop) { //we call this to stop the sound..well to set it up to stop
        if (isPlaying) { //we make sure sound is playing, otherwise a bug in the way minecraft deals with block updates causes it to start and stop immediatly
            isPlaying = false; //since were stoping it we set this to false to say the sound is no longer playing
            this.shouldStop = shouldStop;
        }
    }

public boolean isPlaying() { //we use this to allow other classes to see if were playing or not
        return isPlaying;
    }

//here i need to build my gui and setup the nbt tags to allow persistence
}

the looping sound handler that will only ever be used by the above tileentity

public class AlarmHandler2 extends MovingSound {
    private final TileEntity tileentity;
    private TileEntitySpeaker tileSpeaker; //again we make a value that will be used to get information from

public AlarmHandler2(TileEntity tile, String Soundname) { //we are taking in the tile entity and the sound name
        super(new ResourceLocation(Reference.MODID + ":" + Soundname)); //setting the location of the sound file
        this.tileentity = tile; //we tell it that tileentity is the TileEntity we passed it on creating this instance
        this.repeat = true; //we say that we want the sound to repeat
        volume = 2f; //we hard code the volume....i need to actually pass it the volume i just forgot that untill this comment but meh thats easy, will do it later
        this.xPosF = tileentity.xCoord; //so were getting the location of the tile entity and putting them into values that the sound player WILL use (where i went wrong before)
        this.yPosF = tileentity.yCoord;
        this.zPosF = tileentity.zCoord;
        tileSpeaker = (TileEntitySpeaker) tileentity; // since we know that the TileEntity is going to be a TileEntitySpeaker we can safely cast this variable as one 
    }

public void update() { //this is run every tick
        // LogHelper.info("i should be making noise oh and volume is " + volume); //this is designed to give me feedback when debuging...its invaluable!
        if (tileSpeaker.isShouldStop()) { //ok so each tick we are looking at the speaker tile entity to see if we should stop or not
            //LogHelper.info("ok ill shut up now");
            this.donePlaying = true; //stop making that awful noise we say
        }
    }

@Override
        return this.donePlaying;
    } //this is how the sound manager checks to see if it can shut the hell up yet 
}

This all works just need to : (note im not asking how, though tips are appreciated)

texture the block (easy)

figure out how to change the texture when active with out resorting to meta data (hmm have an idea where to look)

set some nbt tags up to store the data that needs to be persistant (meh no problem, very easy)

create a gui that lists all values in an array, allows you to click on one to select it which it then writes to a string and also has a place to type in an int for volume (**GULP**)

Your code is working for now. BUT: Try this on a Dedicated server. It will crash and burn (it will also behave very weird on a shared LAN world I presume).

You will have to figure out some magic to update the client TE when the sound should start playing. That magic is called "packets". But you can probably use the "block event" mechanic.

Call World.addBlockEvent (on the server). It will trigger a call to onBlockEventReceived on your Block. You pass that to your TE (if you extend BlockContainer you don't need to do that, it will call receiveClientEvent on the TE). Note that these calls are now on the CLIENT. From within there you can start the sound.

i dont understand, why would it go wrong?

the tile entity is only given the signal to start if we are on the server side

form my block :

@Override
        if (!world.isRemote && !world.isBlockIndirectlyGettingPowered(xCord, yCord, zCord)) { //ok so if we are server side and we are NOT getting power but there has been a block update
            tile = (TileEntitySpeaker) world.getTileEntity(xCord, yCord, zCord); //we make sure tile is the TileEntity that is located at our blocks location
            tile.setShouldStop(true); //we tell the tileEntitySpeaker that we want shouldStop to be true
        }
        if (!world.isRemote && world.isBlockIndirectlyGettingPowered(xCord, yCord, zCord)) { //we check to see if we are server side and if the block is getting powered and if theres been a block update around us
            tile = (TileEntitySpeaker) world.getTileEntity(xCord, yCord, zCord); //we make sure that tile is the TileEntitySpeaker thats at our blocks location (ok were not checking it is a TileEntitySpeaker, more casting it as...should be though unless something went wrong)
            tile.setShouldStart(true); //we tell the tileEntitySpeaker that we want shouldStart to be true
        }
    }
}

Your right, i created a server compiled my mod and tested it sure enough

on placing the block BANG server dies

[18:12:53] [server thread/ERROR]: Encountered an unexpected exception

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minecraft/client/audio/ISound

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i thought the issues with this block were behind me!

and why THAT error, when placing it sound is being played

i dont create an instance of the alarm handler class untill i tell it to make a noise (thats not on block creation)

had it of been when it recieved a signall i could see how to fix it

ah man i hate this block with a passion.

edit

indeed it is when we create the tileentity

Time: 09/07/14 18:12
Description: Exception in server tick loop

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minecraft/client/audio/ISound
at com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.blocks.blockAlarmSpeaker.func_149915_a(blockAlarmSpeaker.java:40)
at net.minecraft.block.Block.createTileEntity(Block.java:1444)

thinking about it...we import the alarm on create so yeah ...but how the hell to fix that, cant have the tile entity client side only,  cant only import stuff client side arghhhhhhhhhh

yep just built a version with

AlarmHandler2 alarm2 = new AlarmHandler2(worldObj.getTileEntity(xCoord, yCoord, zCoord), "alarm-airraidA"); //create a new instance of the alarmhandler2

commented out and no crash, wierd that it crashes with them in as that part of the code is not run untill the conditions are met

i thought with @SideOnly and isRemote i would never need a proxy, i have one setup just never used it, im off to find how to, if you know a good guide that describes its use then that would be helpful (google is bringing a lot of unwanted/unrelated hits)

if memory serves i call a function in the proxy which splits in two and if its on the client side it does one thing if its on the server side another (the thing it does can be nothing) ...but i may be wrong on that, plus if the instance of alarm is created in the proxy wouldnt that mean i would no longer have 1 per tile entity? hmmmmm i need a coffee and to do some serous researching ....blockAlarmSpeaker ..you have become the bane of my existance

**edit**

hmmm i think i have figured it out....but it seems too easy to be right

ok so in my IProxy i have

public interface IProxy {

public abstract void alarmSound(TileEntity tileEntity, String soundName);

}[code]

in my server proxy i have
[code]public class ServerProxy extends CommonProxy {

@Override
    public void alarmSound(TileEntity tileEntity, String soundName) {
        //dont do it! sounds are client side...bad mod ...dont make me get the newspaper!
    }
}

in my client proxy i have

public class ClientProxy extends CommonProxy {
    @Override
    public void alarmSound(TileEntity tileEntity, String soundName) {
        AlarmHandler2 alarm2 = new AlarmHandler2(tileEntity, "alarm-airraidA"); //create a new instance of the alarmhandler2
    }
}

my amended tileentity is

private boolean isPlaying = false; //when the tile entity is created we want to have it not playing
    private boolean shouldStart = false; //the triger we will use to start the sound
    private String soundName = "alarm-airraidA"; //setting the default sound name, later a gui will allow me to change it
    private float volume = 2f; //default volume set to 2 that should be 32 block radius, later a gui will help me to change it

@Override
        if (!isPlaying && shouldStart) {//check to see if we are not already playing (to stop infinite amounts playing) and if we should start
            shouldStop = false; //this is so when we have played and then stopped we can play again...yeah that was a bugger to solve!

// AlarmHandler alarm = new AlarmHandler(TileEntitySpeaker.this, soundName,volume,this);
            // AlarmHandler2 alarm2 = new AlarmHandler2(worldObj.getTileEntity(xCoord, yCoord, zCoord), "alarm-airraidA"); //create a new instance of the alarmhandler2

//Minecraft.getMinecraft().getSoundHandler().playSound(alarm2); //make some noise

TwistedMod2.proxy.alarmSound(worldObj.getTileEntity(xCoord,yCoord,zCoord),soundName);
        }
    }

public boolean isShouldStop() { //so we can see if we should stop this method allows checking for it
        return shouldStop;
    }

public void setShouldStart(boolean shouldStart) { //this is what we call from our block and set to true to play sound
    }

public void setShouldStop(boolean shouldStop) { //we call this to stop the sound..well to set it up to stop
        if (isPlaying) { //we make sure sound is playing, otherwise a bug in the way minecraft deals with block updates causes it to start and stop immediatly
            isPlaying = false; //since were stoping it we set this to false to say the sound is no longer playing
        }
    }

public boolean isPlaying() { //we use this to allow other classes to see if were playing or not
        return isPlaying;
    }

@Override
        super.readFromNBT(nbt);

shouldStart = nbt.getBoolean("shouldStart");
        volume = nbt.getFloat("vol");

}

@Override
        super.writeToNBT(nbt);

nbt.setBoolean("shouldStart", shouldStart);
        nbt.setFloat("vol", volume);
        //we allow isPlaying to reset itself to false...i possibly dont need to save some of the others lol
    }

}

tested the mod in Idea and the speakers work perfectly still ! wooo the proxy works

compiled the mod and added it to the server and my client

loaded up the client, tested the block...still works perfectly

loaded up the server (wiping the world first to remove risk of bad tile entities)

placed the block and no server crash yes

pulled the lever....no sound....wtf

where did i go wrong? why is it working in single player (which is a server-client enviroment as far as im aware) but not on a dedicated server? theres no errors , just no sound

i have pushed the changes to my github but i cant see any coding errors

**edit**

tested the sounds i have when you hold certain items and they work fine its just this damn alarm one

**edit 2**

for the last 2 hours i have gone through it again and again nothing seems wrong and yet no sound

i recorded a video to show it (yeah wrong mic got used) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAEdNbeamd8

im thinking its a bug with minecraft or forge?

As I said earlier: You activate the sound on the server (you only set shouldStart to true only on the server). That means: The client will never even *attempt* to play the sound.

It works in singleplayer, because you failed to check you are actually on the client in the TE (with world.isRemote). Therefor the TE from the integrated server reaches over to the client thread and starts the sound (this is BAD! It will eventually most likely cause a crash out of nowhere with very obscure exceptions).

You need to use the block event system like I mentioned earlier. Instead of setting shouldStart to true on the server (from onNeighborChanged) add a Block event which will cause the client to get notified (via the method I mentioned). Then set shouldStart to true from there.

Thought the proxy ment that now the sound is only triggered on the client side?

i hate this block

i did try removing the sided check from the on neigbour check believeing that to be the issue but nothing changed.  after looking through it and trying different things for a couple of hours i came to the conclusion that it must be a forge or minecraft bug, everything looks right and it plays ok in single player and the ide etc

it hadnt occured to me that it may be a bug that it actually plays in single player and shouldnt actually be working there!

ok ill look into block events (i know nothing of them as yet, but if they act just like forge events it should be easy enough to learn them)

guess i dont need that proxy after all lol! or actually...do i ? hmmm cant hurt to keep it in

my holiday ends in an hour (still have a rest day left after that) i had hoped to do so much on my mod but got stuck on this damn block so wish forge had a good way of making sounds loop with out having to use the stuff ment for minecarts lol)

ok so my block class looks like this now

public class blockAlarmSpeaker extends BlockContainer {

private TileEntitySpeaker tile; //we will need this for checking booleans and methods that are unique to TileEntitySpeaker

public blockAlarmSpeaker(Material material) {
        super(material);

this.setHardness(3.0f);
    }

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    }

@Override
        return new TileEntitySpeaker(); //creating the tile entity
    }

@Override
        }
        if (world.isBlockIndirectlyGettingPowered(xCord, yCord, zCord)) { //we check to see if we are server side and if the block is getting powered and if theres been a block update around us
            //tile.setShouldStart(true); //we tell the tileEntitySpeaker that we want shouldStart to be true
            world.addBlockEvent(xCord,yCord,zCord,this,0,0); //hmm so (x,y,z, block? if thats this block then this, event id, event paramater?)
            LogHelper.info("Block event sent: block was "+this+" x:"+xCord+" y:"+yCord+" z:"+zCord);
        }
    }
    @Override
    public boolean onBlockEventReceived(World world, int x, int y, int z, int eventId, int eventPramater)
    {
        LogHelper.info("i recieved a block event with world:"+world+" x:"+x+" y:"+y+" z:"+z+" event id :"+eventId+"event paramater :"+eventPramater);
        if (world.isRemote && eventId==0){
            LogHelper.info("i realised that im on the client side and that the id is 0 so i will now tell the tile to start");
            tile = (TileEntitySpeaker) world.getTileEntity(x, y, z);
            tile.setShouldStart(true);
        }
        if (!world.isRemote && eventId==0) {
            LogHelper.info("and im on the server side but i noticed that the block was updated and that the id was 0 ...i wont tell the sound to start though");
        }
        return false;
    }
}

and i changed my tile entity to be

@Override

//TODO need to use a proxy for this....ahhhh crap
                // AlarmHandler2 alarm2 = new AlarmHandler2(worldObj.getTileEntity(xCoord, yCoord, zCoord), "alarm-airraidA"); //create a new instance of the alarmhandler2

//Minecraft.getMinecraft().getSoundHandler().playSound(alarm2); //make some noise
                if (this.worldObj.isRemote) { TwistedMod2.proxy.alarmSound(worldObj.getTileEntity(xCoord, yCoord, zCoord), soundName);}
        }
    }

return shouldStop;
    }

}

}
    }

return isPlaying;
    }

@Override
        super.readFromNBT(nbt);

shouldStart = nbt.getBoolean("shouldStart");
        volume = nbt.getFloat("vol");

}

@Override
        super.writeToNBT(nbt);

nbt.setBoolean("shouldStart", shouldStart);
        nbt.setFloat("vol", volume);
        //we allow isPlaying to reset itself to false...i possibly dont need to save some of the others lol
    }

}

now when i pull the lever i get no sound and the following gets put into the log

[23:57:36] [server thread/INFO] [Mr G's Twisted Mod]: Block event sent: block was com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.blocks.blockAlarmSpeaker@951e077 x:-7 y:64 z:355
[23:57:36] [server thread/INFO] [Mr G's Twisted Mod]: Block event sent: block was com.mrgreaper.twistedmod2.blocks.blockAlarmSpeaker@951e077 x:-7 y:64 z:355
[23:57:36] [server thread/INFO] [Mr G's Twisted Mod]: i recieved a block event with world:net.minecraft.world.WorldServer@46da830c x:-7 y:64 z:355 event id :0event paramater :0
[23:57:36] [server thread/INFO] [Mr G's Twisted Mod]: and im on the server side but i noticed that the block was updated and that the id was 0 ...i wont tell the sound to start though

so its firing that block event twice in quick succesion (probably due to the way the block updates work) but thats not an issue

it detects the block event, yay

BUT it only recieves it on the server side

i already removed the sided check from the onNeighborBlockChange for when it detects redstone so that *shouldnt* be an issue

have i missed something?

im gonna grab a coffee and read through packet handling on the wiki(http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Advanced_Packet_Handling **), maybe i need to do that instead. I dont see why the blockevent detection  is only happening server side

**edit**

read it and the prerequisite page a few times, sort of understand it, the rest im sure ill get when i try it.... so i just went to try it ...IPacketHandler does not exist BLEEEEEEEEEEEP the page is dated may, not marked out of date, thats only 2 months ago and the method has changed

ok need more coffee

Thought the proxy ment that now the sound is only triggered on the client side?
No. You need to understand how Server & Client work.

indeed i do, no argument from me on that, i had untill today assumed that since 1.3.x the client was a locally run in the background server that it auto connects to, i am not sure where i got that idea from now but it was a firm belief that it was not different to a dedicated server / client connection

The Block event only triggers on the server, because you return false from the onBlockEventReceived, that will stop the server from also informing clients (to limit the network traffic to only when it's really needed).

You don't need manual packets for this.

the minute i changed false to true the sound played (thank you!) ...havent compiled it for test on a server yet as i still need to change the ability to stop it as well

im guessing im using them right and not bodge jobbing it lol

glad i dont need manual packets, it does appear they have been changed and not documented yet, still im using forge for 1.7.10 and its not had a recommanded build yet so i cant moan when something is not as the wiki says it to be lol

**edit** its now working on the server too THANK YOU!

i need to find a way to make it restart the sound if the server/chunk is deloaded but that can wait(not talking about saving states as i know that and have nbt tags for it but more some way to poll the sound to see if its avtive and if not set the should start to true again... NO NO NO NO this block is done for now! i refuse to give it anymore of my soul!)