How do I switch off fall damage?

nintendofan9797

I have code that allows one to fly in survival mode if they are wearing a certain piece of armor. BUT, when the player lands, they die, and I have found that I can edit base code to switch off damage, but I don't want to do that, as I have found ways to move away from base code edits on other places, and don't want that work to go to waste. So I was wondering if there was a hook in forge to switch off fall damage, or a flag in vanilla Minecraft that I am missing that just switches off fall damage.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I set the fall distance to 0 in my Event Handler

You need to do this on both the client and server

@ForgeSubscribe
public void livingFall(LivingFallEvent event)
{
    if (!(event.entityLiving instanceof EntityPlayer)) return;
    EntityPlayer eventPlayer = (EntityPlayer)event.entityLiving;
    //Check if the damage should be removed
    event.distance = 0F;
}

I'd imagine you could also use "public void livingHurt(LivingHurtEvent event)" and just check if the damage source is falling, but I've never tested that.

I tried it, put it in my same class that had ticked code to allow creative flight in survival mode, Both livingFall and livingHurt didn't stop me from taking fall damage.

Am I missing something really obvious. I haven't had to use the forge event system before. Like do they have to be in their own class that extends something, or implements something?

I'm sorry, I didn't have my Eclipse open at the time. What I meant was, of course:

MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new AddNameHereForClassWithMethodAnnotatedWithForgeSubscribe()); 

Place that in your @Init method and it should be fine. If it isn't, I can't help you any further, sorry about that.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a problem with damage when landing after flying, now I am very new to forge and I was wondering, I added to my @Init method

MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new ClientTickHandler());

and I get an error saying "add arguments to match ClientTickHandler(EnumSet)

Do I add EnumSet.of(TickType.CLIENT) in there?

Never mind! It works =)