client/server mod compatibility

zachofalltrades

I'm new here, but I have done a lot of homework, and just got Forge set up correctly so that my kids could use the superheroes mod that they have been begging for. They are quite happy now, so hats off to the all the good folks here. They literally jumped up and down when they saw it.

With a few lessons under my belt, it now seems trivial to load Forge and drop in a mod. But I know (from a lot of errors in the 'trial and error' phase of my learning) that MC clients and servers are  not very forward or backward compatible, and that naturally carries over to the mod framework and the mods themselves. What I am wondering now is, what should I expect when joining a multiplayer world when I have a modded client? Do I need to tell my kids to only use a 'vanilla' launcher profile when they want to get on a multi-player world, or can they join but just lose some features? If I set up a server with mods on the LAN (or make it public), do all clients need to have the corresponding mods enabled?

Parent, Programmer, Handyman, Gardener, Short Order Cook

For the most part, if you have extra content on the client that the server doesn't know about. You can connect to the server and play just fine. As long as the client content doesn't screw with the content the servers knows about.

Example:

You add a mod that adds obsidian tools.

Connect to a vanilla server

Try the crafting recipe, it'll show up as craftable, but when you craft it it will look like ti worked for a second, but then the item will dissapear and you'll get your creafting materials back.

So you'll get some of those things, but ya for the most part it's a non issue

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

• 4 years later...

Don't necro old threads. This is a 5 year old thread and completely unrelated to your problem.

• Like 1

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

• Guest locked this topic