Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Author Topic: Forge: It's time to say...  (Read 492497 times)

Offline LexManos

• Forge Code God
  • Reality Controller
  • Thank You
  •   - Given: 1
  •   - Receive: 924

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
Forge: It's time to say...
« on: August 25, 2014, 06:13:45 pm »
Update: 02/02/2014:
http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,27505.0.html
Fry has finally finished up the ModelLoader registry, 1.8 is officially released.
Get to going!

Update: 11/26/2014:
Whelp guys, since it's my birthday have a present:
http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,22782.msg129821.html#new

Forge: It's time to say...

In light of recent events over in the bukkit community, 1.8's pending release, and the EULA changes. It has come time to say, Forge WILL continue to be updated and developed.
I can understand everyone's feelings about the EULA changes, and the fact that 1.8 will be a colossal update, especially on the client side. It is no secret that a lot of us who are working on major projects for the community feel stressed, overworked, attacked, {insert any bad adjective/verb here}. That being said, unlike EvilSeph and TNT, I work on Forge as my sole source of income {the adsense on the forums, adfly, and a bit from Curse} I have made no secret of this. This means that I don't have the luxury of just being able to quit. Beyond that, I truly do enjoy what I do. I love to program and I love to tackle issues, digging my hands as deep into a project as I can. But at times, the stress of the community can get to me. Recently, being attacked by those in the community I trusted because they got persuaded by someone who should of never had that influence -.- Combine it with the stress of a pending update, and the 10~ projects I have to update for that u.u.

My solution, Vacation!
This was intended to start this monday, the 25th, however because of the certain person above, I started it early {last Wednesday}. For my vacation, I will be staffing a awesome anime convention called Kumoricon. I have been staffing this convention for almost 10 years so {god I feel old} so this is not unplanned. This is happening in Vancouver, Washington, Officially it is Friday-Monday, but well, staff works a lot longer then that. If anyone is in the area, or are planning on attending give me a shout. This is also the reason I am not up in Seattle with the rest of the FTB/Curse team. As both conventions are the same weekend. It kinda sucks, but Kumoricon > PAX, as we were here first, so suck it you all!

So, what does this mean for Forge?
Not much, the plan was always to take the 1.8 update slow as it is a massive re-write to the rendering system, we are taking this opportunity to re-write some things in Forge/FML that we have wanted to do to hopefully increase performance/flexibility/stability of Minecraft itself. Once I get back from the convention on Tuesday night I will probably fall into a post-con coma for a day or so. And then I will get to work updating MCP/FML/Forge/.... So just hold on to your hats.

For modders,
1.8 isn't actually that scary of a beast, the MAJOR change is to the rendering system to introduce model based blocks instead of the RenderBlocks mess. At this point I do not know the full extent of this change. Or any of the other changes that were introduced. Tho I can say just like every other MC update there is a lot of boiler plate code that MAKES things look like a big change when it's not {for example one thing you will run into is A LOT of functions have changed from taking (int x, int y, int z) to taking (BlockPos position)}. So don't worry too much, when we get closer to actually updating we will have someone make a primer of the important changed bits.

Once Forge is out for 1.8, 1.6.4 will be even MORE dead. I will expect the community as a while to start shaming those modders who are still developing for it! Everyone knows my stance on that, so I won't get into it, but please for my sanity and yours at least update to 1.7.10 u.u

So ya, I will see you all next week after con.

Note: The title is supposed to be a joke, but i'm bad at them. I fully support Seph and TNT in whatever they wish to do or not do. Life goes on I hope they find another project that is rewarding and enjoyable to them.

Update:
Okay, so I am now back from con. Few things to note, I worked 22 hour days at the con, rolled my ankle twice and am currently recovering and decompressing.
Then I come back and catch up on all the current drama that is going on in the minecraft community, most notably of which is Wolf's DMCA to Bukkit.
I will refrain from making public comment about this as 1) I am not a lawyer {tho I do have way more experience in this type of law then most of you} 2) I agree with his intentions if not the manner in which it is going down. 3) Drama dramama dramamamamamamamammamamaqmam

So, as it sits, we are going forward with updating to 1.8, we are revamping and discussing a lot of how we are going to address things that will be changing at the core level of FML/Forge/Modding. Don't be scared it's actually for the better! And should make modders lives even easier! As such I expect to have a buildable version of 1.8 done *sometime* this week, but I have no clue when a release will be coming. So just hang on.

Edit by luacs: https://twitter.com/LexManos/status/508198938629771264
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:38:04 am by LexManos »
If you don't know how to run a java file you're a moron and should watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6uMF-PjGT4
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/lexmanos (Because, people asked 0.o)
Paypal: LexManos@gmail.com (Again added on request)

Offline sciguyryan

• Thank You
  •   - Given: 2
  •   - Receive: 0

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
Re: Forge: It's time to say...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 07:26:06 pm »
Hope you enjoy your vacation. It's well earned!

Offline UntouchedWagons

• Creeper Killer
  • Thank You
  •   - Given: 22
  •   - Receive: 1

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 08:07:46 pm »
<3 LexManos and all his hard work.
I like trains.

Offline caramba2654

• Thank You
  •   - Given: 0

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 09:40:52 pm »
*hugs LexManos*

I wish I could help, but unfortunately I'm not able to. All I can do is wish you a good vacation. After all, you deserve it, mostly because there are a few thousands (maybe even a million) that can only play modded Minecraft because of you. ;)

Offline harley9699

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 03:06:53 am »
Have a Great vacation! I started w/ alpha and went through the whole .jar file bs for mods---seemingly forever. You have definitely changed MC, for the better, for all. Even people that I meet, that are just starting out, always ask: how do I add mods? I'm sure there are a few vanilla purists, but it's nobody that I know. Take a break, get some rest and don't stress over it. It'll all be there when you get back. The world won't end if Forge takes a little bit.

Offline Master801

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 04:23:23 am »
Enjoy your vacation! :D

Offline NemockZans

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 08:23:01 am »
If there was anyone in the MC comunity i would support on patreon it would be you

Offline CosmicDan

• Tree Puncher
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 12:32:08 pm »
Great to read, thanks for an official word on the matter.

I did read your reply to someone asking about Forge for 1.8.0 - for some reason I can't find the thread now (ninja moderated?). In it you said we could expect a release mid-September. Are you sure? Even for an initial alpha, that is *crazy* fast.

You may have also implied that you yourself work with the MCP team in a lot of the primary deobfuscation, if this is true I had no idea you were directly involved there. I don't know what this beef - or the "recent events in Bukkit community" - is about, but it sounds like the usual stuff and I can imagine. I may only be a new modder but I've already publicly stated that, if I get to the point where people want to donate - that I would split it 50/50 between MCP and Forge if I could - you guys work very hard to do something that people like me just do for fun, it's the least we should do.

Well, some don't have anything to give I guess, so in that case the least we can do is not harass developers to update...

...anywho, thanks again for the news. Enjoy yourself!
Windows software, Android hacking, and other curios

Offline smileymouse

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 08:30:55 pm »
Just had to come say thank you for all your work, hope you enjoy your vacation!! Though as PAX staff :P I am required to say PAX > Kumoricon!!!

Seeing as you are most likely fairly local to the PDX area I would also like to extend the offer to buy you a drink at anytime if you attend any other local events!

Thanks again for everything you do!

<3O~

Offline redbaron666

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 04:20:07 pm »
 :) I have nothing but good things to say about you LexManos. If it weren't for you and your team, Minecraft would still be in the dark ages for the modding community. We all know that 1.7.10 is a buggy mess (Thanks Mojang), but you have kept it all in one piece and allowed us to enjoy it as much as possible. I really hope that you enjoy your vacation and come back refreshed and ready to take on the world(of Minecraft, that is). Keep up the awesome work. Peace. :)

Offline Razorskills

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 01:13:20 am »
If you make a patreon account, I will be very happy to be able to give you 5$ a month and I am sure there is so many others that will want to aswell.

Offline Noppes

• Forge Modder
  • Stone Miner
  • Thank You
  •   - Receive: 4

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 10:57:33 pm »
The 1.8 changelog says 3 things that might affect my mods:
- Cleanup GUI rendering
- Changed Entity, now unique by UUID
- Rewrote the inventory system
I hope the inventory rewrite and the gui cleanup arent too big. The entity UUID, do they mean the one we register it with or all the different spawned entities ingame?

Don't think the blockrendering and new blockmetadata should give many problems as long as the old way of doing it is still supported.

Anyway have fun at the con Lex and take your time, dont stress too much. You gonna cosplay as something? :D

Offline Flenix

• Diamond Finder
  • Thank You
  •   - Given: 20
  •   - Receive: 20

• "Admin of Silvania, head at Silvania Studios"

• View Profile
    • Silvania
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 11:46:41 am »
But at times, the stress of the community can get to me. Recently, being attacked by those in the community I trusted because they got persuaded by someone who should of never had that influence -.- Combine it with the stress of a pending update, and the 10~ projects I have to update for that u.u.

I've had an idea in the back of my head for a few weeks now, but never thought of a good time to say it - maybe now would be the time.
It's just an option, but have you considered maybe getting a few people to help you out purely on the community front, sort of like a "customer support" thing?

That small team of people could brunt the day-to-day constant pings, nags, FORGE SHUD HAV COPER OR and so on. Anything actually useful/worthwhile, they would then privately forward on to you. This way, you can focus purely on the actual important stuff, leaving the swathes of uneducated kids to people specifically brought in to handle them.

Just an idea :)

If you make a patreon account, I will be very happy to be able to give you 5$ a month and I am sure there is so many others that will want to aswell.

+1 on this. I use the adsense of my mods to pay for my server, and then entirely pay my rent & car bills too. Without you, I'd not be able to do anything like that. A patreon donation is the very least I can do to repay you.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:48:48 am by Flenix »

My mods (Links coming soon)
Cities | Roads | Remula | SilvaniaMod | MoreStats

Offline luacs1998

• World Shaper
  • Thank You
  •   - Given: 5
  •   - Receive: 202

• "No longer a servant of the Empire"

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 01:04:47 am »

I've had an idea in the back of my head for a few weeks now, but never thought of a good time to say it - maybe now would be the time.
It's just an option, but have you considered maybe getting a few people to help you out purely on the community front, sort of like a "customer support" thing?

That small team of people could brunt the day-to-day constant pings, nags, FORGE SHUD HAV COPER OR and so on. Anything actually useful/worthwhile, they would then privately forward on to you. This way, you can focus purely on the actual important stuff, leaving the swathes of uneducated kids to people specifically brought in to handle them.

Just an idea :)

Well, for the forums, Diesieben and I exist, but seeing as Lex's day job is Forge, he does come onto the forums rather regularly.
Read the EAQ before posting! OR ELSE!

Quote from: cpw
This isn't building better software, its trying to grab a place in the commit list of a highly visible github project.

www.forgeessentials.com

Don't PM me, I don't check this account unless I have to.

Offline SuperMarioBros99thx

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 01:50:05 am »
Enjoy your vacation! I'll wait until the release of Minecraft Forge 11.14! (For Minecraft 1.8!)

Offline DeathHammer000

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 07:11:50 pm »
Great to hear that Forge 11 will be coming soon. Since, as you say, 1.8 will not be a very big update (only the rendering changes may turn out to be an obstacle), I will be skipping 1.7 altogether and get access to new features of both Minecraft 1.8 and mods designed for it..

Just one question: since I, amongst others will want to cram Minecraft with 200+ mods, will there be a way for Forge to store data separately from vanilla Minecraft (like a Forge.dat file; vanilla should be prevented from reading it to cause a crash)? It's just that vanilla seems like nothing but a skeletal framework next to gargantuan modpacks like the Monumental Modpack (which dwarfs even the biggest FTB creations).

One more thing: to make updating mods easier, introduce version-specific code usage. Code that can be used for one version of Minecraft should be used by a specific version of Forge - or perhaps there should be a way for code to be "translated" - i.e. the base of the code can be changed to suit the version of Minecraft but the stuff that makes the mod unique (like blocks, tile-entities and items) doesn't have to as much.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:17:15 pm by DeathHammer000 »

Offline luacs1998

• World Shaper
  • Thank You
  •   - Receive: 202

• "No longer a servant of the Empire"

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 09:36:50 am »
1) 1.8 will take a VERY long time, just update to 1.7.10 first.

2) Forge is not an abstraction layer, you're asking for one.
Read the EAQ before posting! OR ELSE!

Quote from: cpw
This isn't building better software, its trying to grab a place in the commit list of a highly visible github project.

www.forgeessentials.com

Don't PM me, I don't check this account unless I have to.

Offline Taco

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 08:08:44 pm »
Yay!

Offline Syndaryl

• Tree Puncher
  • Thank You
  •   - Given: 13

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 08:19:44 pm »
FWIW, I thought the subject line was funny :D

Take your vacation - we'll all still be here when you come back, and silliness will have had time to blow over some more once people see the sky hasn't fallen. Every programmer needs vacations or we go screaming monkey mad and that's just bad.

Offline rocketdude8888

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 11:36:35 pm »
Have a great vacation, hope you come up with a new update soon, because I love Galacticraft and it won't work with the new update. See ya!!! :) ;) :D ;D

Offline GemJam14

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 11:27:13 pm »
Hello! I am new to this site, I just found it about a week ago & I am glad I did! Thank you Lex, for your hard work with Forge, I don't what I would do without it. Keep up the great work - your vacation is well deserved.

Offline Aelflaed

• Thank You

• "I am a meat popsicle!"

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 03:41:41 am »
We love you for everything you do!

You have inadvertently contributed significantly to some of the best "family time" my husband and I have spent together.  Minecraft vanilla is still fun, but with mods it's exceptional... and all the mods worth using use Forge.

Yes, I made an account here just to say that.  Keep your head in the code and ignore the drama, countless people appreciate your efforts more than you could know.

Offline drchocobo

• Thank You

• "Used Forge since 1.5.2"

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 04:57:05 am »
First let me say Thankyou!

Forge, over the time I have used it, has become a VERY mature augmentation to the game.

It has given me mods that FAR surpass the ones written for bukkit, with TWO exceptions...

Worldedit and Worldguard.  If those were ported over, My servers would ONLY have Forge for the mods.

Forge made it possible to make the game come alive for me and my friends, starting with CustomNPC's and Furniture Mod. 

The point is, that your software has made amazing things possible for the game and all of us who use my server thank you for that.

I started with bukkit, but soon stepped away realizing numerous limitations that forge addresses.

Forge, for me is the 'precision tool', compared to bukkit's 'wooden stick'  Simply put, it does what it is meant to with amazing results.

CODE ONWARD!!!   8)

You know, the writer of WorldEdit has to have felt an invisible punch to the gut when Bukkit went offline....  Maybe he should speed up his port to Forge...  Seems a bit more important now.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:59:28 am by drchocobo »

Offline darkhog

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 11:01:16 am »
Good luck with porting over Forge to 1.8 and I am happy that you are not such drama queen like certain other MC mod devs. Since many people are waiting and you said it'll take some time to port it to 1.8, can you give status updates from time to time?

Offline diesieben07

• Reality Controller
  • Thank You
  •   - Given: 58
  •   - Receive: 3,960
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 11:12:19 am »
Good luck with porting over Forge to 1.8 and I am happy that you are not such drama queen like certain other MC mod devs. Since many people are waiting and you said it'll take some time to port it to 1.8, can you give status updates from time to time?
You should maybe follow Lex on Twitter.
Developer of CameraCraft.
You should get off the internet and grab a creeper plushie because you're 7 years old.

Offline darkhog

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 11:14:25 am »
What's his twitter?

Offline diesieben07

• Reality Controller
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 11:21:05 am »
You should get off the internet and grab a creeper plushie because you're 7 years old.

Offline darkhog

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 07:56:56 am »
Sorry, but that site is blocked in my country. What's his twitter?

Offline diesieben07

• Reality Controller
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 09:32:37 am »
Who would have guessed...
https://twitter.com/LexManos/

Offline Kinniken

• Creeper Killer
  • Thank You

• "Millénaire mod creator"

• View Profile
    • Millénaire
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 10:43:31 am »
Hi Lex,

Thanks for the post and all the good work on Forge. I'm glad to hear that you're carrying in! I'm not too keen either on the direction the Minecraft world is taking, but it's not a reason to give up.

All the best

K.

Offline Cookie160

• Thank You
  •   - Given: 17

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2014, 08:50:38 pm »
Just curious about something:
I know that lots of modders create .jar models for blocks and items, but since that feature is almost redundant due to the .json model feature in 1.8, do you plan on supporting this feature, or do you plan scratching it due to the fact that .json files are just assets and are used just like any other texture?

Offline toss

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 05:30:24 pm »
Thank you for your great job Lex Manos
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 02:42:59 pm by toss »

Offline Wiss

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 01:10:12 pm »
So In a month or 2 Forge will be out for 1.8? :D Time to get work on a 1.7.10 mudpack for myself

Offline LexManos

• Forge Code God
  • Reality Controller
  • Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2014, 10:31:38 pm »
For those who know how to look into it, a dev version of FML is avalible. I have a few people looking into it and updating mappings so that modders will get some better names.
As it sits, 1.8 is still in flux. However:
Preliminary support for vanilla clients is in
FML Compiles and runs just fine
Villager registry needs to be re-worked
Network protocol needs to be re-worked to allow for more generic id registries.
ID registry needs to be re-written to support the new network stuff.

Forge:
Needs updating, haven't looked at it yet. I am wanting to get the FML side of things solid before moving forward.

However, 1.8 is pretty sweet it has some really cool new features related to modeling and rendering. Combined with a major re-write of how location and metadata works.

Still working on it, just slowly. As we're still waiting on modders to update to 1.7.10 I don't think it is a big deal to take some time to do it right.
If you don't know how to run a java file you're a moron and should watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6uMF-PjGT4

Offline InsolentCow

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2014, 06:09:12 pm »
Thank you for the update.

Offline deadscion

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 03:18:14 pm »
Considering the accomplishments I have seen here and a few kind words from Overmind, all I can say is "YOU  GO BOY!!"

Offline Dport

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 06:56:10 pm »
Thanks for the update. Excited to see this in action with 1.8!

Offline iamkiller21

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2014, 05:13:03 am »
So lexmanos what day do you plan to release this would be really helpful because i want to  use the orespawn mod soon have a good vacation and thank you for forge.

Offline LexManos

• Forge Code God
  • Reality Controller
  • Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2014, 06:42:58 am »
FML for 1.8 is already out and available for use on both the modder side on user side. Once that stabilizes, I update Forge.
Simple, modders should start working on 1.8 and let me know!

Offline Aridhol

• Thank You
  •   - Receive: 5

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2014, 12:49:30 am »
Excellent! I was looking at FML being updated (well, its obviously going to be buggy still..) and that made me wanna check in here and see how its going!

Most interestingly is the promise of 1.8's multithreading support... How well is that going to work?

The biggest strength of Bukkit's was its multithreading (in my opinion) and that's why we needed it for big servers..

In theory, a Forge server will run a ton smoother without the need for something like Bukkit / Sponge (though I still am excited for Sponge, hopefully it pans out..)

Anyways, I just wanted to put a feeler out there to the modding/dev community and see what first impressions are, if it looks like that might indeed be the case or if its a pipe-dream and servers will still need something more to make them work.

Well regardless, best of luck, when a few mods get some updates pumped out I'll be sure to test em and leave feedback!

Offline eekysam

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2014, 08:07:07 pm »
So far the 1.8 FML has been working pretty well, modeling is different and it is taking some time to figure out, and a few important mappings are missing (but that is an MCP thing). For the most part though, it seems pretty nice. Just looking forward to full Forge. :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:25:19 pm by eekysam »

Offline KmerrCode

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2014, 01:54:23 am »
How to do you gain access to an alpha release of a build?

Offline LexManos

• Forge Code God
  • Reality Controller
  • Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2014, 03:50:05 am »
Seriously people, its the same place it has always been.
Every commit on github triggers a build on our file server.

Offline LownIgnitus

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2014, 09:39:15 am »
I have spent a good amount of time looking for forge 11 for 1.8, I have even looked through every page of the files server I could find. I cannot find it. I even made an account on the forums to see if I could not see the alpha because of permission issues. I just cannot find it. I am prob going to /facepalm when its pointed out to me.

Offline eekysam

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2014, 02:23:23 pm »
I have spent a good amount of time looking for forge 11 for 1.8, I have even looked through every page of the files server I could find. I cannot find it. I even made an account on the forums to see if I could not see the alpha because of permission issues. I just cannot find it. I am prob going to /facepalm when its pointed out to me.
Took me a while to find too, it is at files.minecraftforge.net/fml/ not just files.minecraftforge.net

Offline LownIgnitus

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2014, 04:11:21 pm »
/facepalm

Offline eekysam

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 12:17:42 am »
Because FML is not registering new blocks's states to Block.BLOCK_STATE_IDS, ExtendedBlockStorage.get(int x, int y, int z) does not work, and therefor all get and set block methods fail with modded blocks.

I'll make a fork.

Offline KmerrCode

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2014, 12:49:01 am »
Ehhh... I haven't made a mod since Beta. Where is the MCP version 1.8, or is it still required?

Offline ChaoticLogic

• Thank You

• "Hooah!"

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2014, 01:29:47 am »
Thank you for your continued work on this wonderful project. Vanilla Minecraft is very lackluster to me at this point and so, in essence, you and your team make this game worth playing. Thank you!

Offline Eternaldoom

• Forge Modder
  • Dragon Slayer
  • Thank You
  •   - Given: 19
  •   - Receive: 81

• "Lead developer of DivineRPG."

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2014, 02:17:37 pm »
KmerrCode, Searge has tweeted a link, but MCP is now automatically downloaded with the forgegradle system.
Check out my mod, Realms of Chaos, here.

If I helped you, be sure to press the "Thank You" button!

Offline LexManos

• Forge Code God
  • Reality Controller
  • Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2014, 08:44:30 pm »
We use MCP data, however, MCP is a different system then FG.

Offline carnilio

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2014, 11:19:24 pm »
I hope it is not frowned uppon to ask this, so I'll try to be brief;

But for those of us that care, but aren't exactly the most often frequenting the community here, how are the 1.8 update going?
(Min'd I'm not going ot impatiently ask "when it is done?!!!?!" I just like to hear how things are progressing, since the thread have been silent for a long time now?

Appreciate any word or info! =)

Offline Lightdoctor1

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2014, 08:51:01 pm »
I hope it is not frowned uppon to ask this, so I'll try to be brief;

But for those of us that care, but aren't exactly the most often frequenting the community here, how are the 1.8 update going?
(Min'd I'm not going ot impatiently ask "when it is done?!!!?!" I just like to hear how things are progressing, since the thread have been silent for a long time now?

Appreciate any word or info! =)

Dude i completely agree but they already kinda have a fml version for 1.8 go to
files.minecraftforge.net/fml/1.8

Offline carnilio

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2014, 12:34:27 am »
Thanks for the heads up =)

Let's hope there's some word from staff here eventually too though.

Offline MCDMPE

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2014, 08:55:21 am »
Thank you for your work.

Offline Abastro

• Forge Modder
  • Dragon Slayer
  • Thank You

• "Creator of Stellarium&Stellar Sky, and InvWorks."

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2014, 02:54:54 am »
I like BlockPos thingy, but I dont know why it is not pooled. (I think these thing is too similar with mine, but... anyway)
maybe forge can change the behavior..?
I. Stellarium for Minecraft: Configurable Universe for Minecraft! (WIP)
II. Stellar Sky, Better Star Rendering&Sky Utility mod, had separated from Stellarium.

Offline LexManos

• Forge Code God
  • Reality Controller
  • Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2014, 03:53:07 am »
No, Forge will not be pooling BlockPos, it is more efficient for them to not be pooled as they are short term objects.

Offline Abastro

• Forge Modder
  • Dragon Slayer
  • Thank You

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2014, 04:41:25 am »
So is there any solution..?
Since I heard that the Blockpos thingy had memory increase too fast...
II. Stellar Sky, Better Star Rendering&Sky Utility mod, had separated from Stellarium.

Offline LexManos

• Forge Code God
  • Reality Controller
  • Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2014, 04:43:22 am »
You heard wrong. You're sources are misinformed.

Offline Abastro

• Forge Modder
  • Dragon Slayer
  • Thank You

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2014, 12:59:38 am »
So Optifine's sp614x is wrong.? Link
Then why the memory usage increases too fast?

Offline LexManos

• Forge Code God
  • Reality Controller
  • Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2014, 04:36:17 am »
Ya I expected you to link that post.
Without going into a argument on how the JVM works. He is right, to a point.
But it's not that big of a deal as he mentions.

Offline Abastro

• Forge Modder
  • Dragon Slayer
  • Thank You

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2014, 04:47:08 am »
Then why the memory usage increases so fast..? It causes much lag even in the vanilla minecraft 1.8..

Offline LexManos

• Forge Code God
  • Reality Controller
  • Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2014, 08:36:41 am »
End of discussion you don't know what you are talking about and are doing nothing but speculating based off ignorant and false information. I do not have time to teach you programming or how the JVM works. This is not the place.

Offline DavidSnakeEyes

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2014, 01:35:34 am »
http://files.minecraftforge.net/fml/1.8

i dont know if this is classified or a beta but yeah

Offline drewajp

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2014, 09:47:41 pm »
Well, yes it is a beta. And if you notice, its FML, not Forge. They are two different things.

Offline CaosNyte

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2014, 03:01:42 pm »
Hi I am new to the forums.  I am just wondering if there is any news about the next forge update.  I am not wanting to rush you or anything, I want you to take your time and make it perfect.  I i understand how much work and time it takes to write a program.  I am currently going to school for my degree in Gaming and Simulation Programming.  Just curious if there is any new information.  Again, thank you for all you have done and are doing.

Offline FarCryLimited

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2014, 08:24:03 pm »
I think they stopped developing forge.
Never waited so long for an update.

Really sad..

Offline robin4002

• Forge Modder
  • Diamond Finder
  • Thank You
  •   - Given: 24
  •   - Receive: 40

• "French modder"

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2014, 10:18:19 pm »

Offline LexManos

• Forge Code God
  • Reality Controller
  • Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2014, 02:16:35 am »
So, and update.
Yes, Forge Compiles.
Yes, it also RUNS on 1.8.
There are still 16 rendering related patches for me to go through.
I REALLY hate rendering so i've put those off for list. Combined with the fact that rendering has changed a lot.
Just a reminder to you all, FORGE itself is not all that I work on for the Minecraft community.
There is a lot of behind the scenes work that I do every update. Which has eaten a lot of my time.
But, as it sits right now I just needed to finish 16 more patches and a BETA Forge will be available. {MY God I can't stress how much this is a BETA, rewriting EVERY PATCH by hand may introduce bugs}
However, it is my intention to release a REAL version of Forge for 1.8.1, whenever that actually drops.

Now, here is a bit of a note for you guys.
You know how in 1.7, we had .1,.2, .3 ... .10. Well Theoretically we are on 1.8.5 right now, it's just that Mojang has decided to call them pre-releases this time around. So as I stated before, I am waiting on Mojang to Stabilize 1.8 before pushing out a full Forge version.

Do I also take days off working on Forge/MC related stuff? Yes! For my sanity. Seriously, this update is crazy....

Offline drewajp

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2014, 02:28:25 am »
So, and update.
Yes, Forge Compiles.
Yes, it also RUNS on 1.8.
There are still 16 rendering related patches for me to go through.
I REALLY hate rendering so i've put those off for list. Combined with the fact that rendering has changed a lot.
Just a reminder to you all, FORGE itself is not all that I work on for the Minecraft community.
There is a lot of behind the scenes work that I do every update. Which has eaten a lot of my time.
But, as it sits right now I just needed to finish 16 more patches and a BETA Forge will be available. {MY God I can't stress how much this is a BETA, rewriting EVERY PATCH by hand may introduce bugs}
However, it is my intention to release a REAL version of Forge for 1.8.1, whenever that actually drops.

Now, here is a bit of a note for you guys.
You know how in 1.7, we had .1,.2, .3 ... .10. Well Theoretically we are on 1.8.5 right now, it's just that Mojang has decided to call them pre-releases this time around. So as I stated before, I am waiting on Mojang to Stabilize 1.8 before pushing out a full Forge version.

Do I also take days off working on Forge/MC related stuff? Yes! For my sanity. Seriously, this update is crazy....

Please, do take days off. You deserve them. And thanks so much for the update on the update. Been waiting for this for a while. Could you give an ETA for the beta? 1 week?
Thanks!

Offline CaosNyte

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2014, 06:19:20 am »
@ LexManos

Thank you for the update, keep up the great work.  And please do take breaks.  Wouldnt want you to lose your sanity.  And, once again thank you again for the update and the hard work you do for the minecraft community.

Offline yarrmateys

• Thank You
  •   - Given: 4
  •   - Receive: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2014, 03:34:01 pm »
no need for etas, unless you're some kind of corporation who does things for money, they exist to be broken. you either do things ahead of time and then release it sooner, or don't make it in time and delay or release buggy version. everyone hates delays, glaringly obvious bugs and such, and always blames it on the dev.

he gave us something much more valuable, a "what's left" list.

Offline marpet0805

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2014, 08:44:50 am »
My dream has always been to work as a game programmer (making games). But when i see LexManos making forge and it really takes hard work.......i am a bit worried......it looks hard to programm and make forge.......i wont be making games as a job........and by the way LexManos, Take your time. The whole world of Minecraft Modding community is counting on you LexManos! The World of Minecraft Modding Community Rests in your hands LexManos :D

Offline LexManos

• Forge Code God
  • Reality Controller
  • Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2014, 08:33:02 am »

Offline InsolentCow

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2014, 04:47:17 pm »
Happy birthday!

Offline carnilio

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2014, 10:22:49 pm »
Happy bday then LexManos!

And thanks too both for the update and for the incredible amount oif work you put into this, for the good of the whole community. We appreciate it more than you know. And also more than many of us know, by ourselves too!

Offline iamkiller21

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2014, 05:25:56 am »
We use MCP data, however, MCP is a different system then FG.
i see some 1.8 mods but not too many usually it starts of little then gets larger with mods

Offline Weenie Stain

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
Forge 1.8.1
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2015, 02:27:08 pm »
Hey Lex,
You're doing an excellent job with Forge. I honestly couldn't appreciate the work you're doing much more. Without your API, Minecraft would be so ... boring and vanilla.
I've been watching the releases roll out pretty regularly. You just released the first new update for Forge 1.7.10 in a while, and 1.8 betas get pretty frequent updates. The reason I'm posting to the forum, though, is because I'd hoped you could provide some insight as to when we can expect any form of Forge 1.8.1 to come out.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Matthew

Offline LexManos

• Forge Code God
  • Reality Controller
  • Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2015, 05:35:12 pm »
1.8.1 compared to 1.8 in reality is nothing, no value to the end user/modder.
Once 1.8 Forge gets fully released {Im hoping to do it after I get back from Con at the end of the month, but it depends on you guys, and fry} I plan on updating to 1.8.1 just as a formality.

Offline Waffeleisen

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2015, 11:21:34 am »
It has a huge value for end users because it fixes tons of (really annoying) bugs.
Nice to hear that Forge 1.8.1 is coming!

Offline Alesimula

• Creeper Killer
  • Thank You
  •   - Given: 16
  •   - Receive: 2

• "I am a green apple!"

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2015, 10:23:18 pm »
YAY! But if block rendering method changes to a model, how are custom blocks renderers and textures gonna be handled?
I mean, ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler won't exist anymore, what will replace it (Sorry, i'm a bit curious and maybe didn't express well (also for my bad english (Since ur probably never gonna read this far(Ur avatar looks like bewbs (Please don't ban me :D)))))
Actually i don't know what to write in this signature soooo.... anyway

Offline LexManos

• Forge Code God
  • Reality Controller
  • Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2015, 03:11:41 am »
Models replace ISBRH.

Offline deenkayros

• Creeper Killer
  • Thank You
  •   - Given: 13

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2015, 11:54:09 am »
hi Lex,

I've only a question: Will be 1.8.1 forge vers retro-compatible with 1.8?

I ask you this because currently I'm developing very hard on 1.8 but as you know that MC vers is full of bugs and I'm developing in perspective on later more stable versions (aka 1.8.1).

Anyway thank you so much for your effort on this.

Offline yarrmateys

• Thank You
  •   - Given: 4
  •   - Receive: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2015, 03:04:26 pm »
it probably will, since 1.8.1 was mostly a bugfix release.

that said, 1.8.2 is probably going to be released sometime soon, if it's not too long from now 1.8.1 might even get skipped or something.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:10:49 pm by yarrmateys »

Offline sk8champ0

• Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2015, 08:53:27 pm »
I am already using forge 1.8 with 1.8.1 minecraft version and it seems to work fine. But still looking forward to an actual release of forge 1.8.1. Thanks

Offline LexManos

• Forge Code God
  • Reality Controller
  • Thank You

• "I am new!"

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2015, 03:39:14 am »
http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,27505.0.html
Fry has finally finished up the ModelLoader registry, 1.8 is officially released.
Get to going!

Once the first wave of bugs are fixed and 1.8.2 is officially released by Mojang, we'll update to 1.8.2.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Close
Please register or Login to join in on the community!