Hi, I am trying to install MineForge on Ubuntu Server 13.04. I got a lot of Prob

Mikhail

Hi The title says itself. I am new to Forge, I want to try some minecraft mods with my friend. And I absolutely want to run MinecraftForge on my linux.

What cause problems is that I have no GUI. And there is no really tutorials about Ubuntu server.

I tried that tutorial. I'm not a Linux guru­. But I will try my best to install that dedicated server...

Thanks.

Mike

Run the installer on your computer.

Select 'install server'.

Upload the files it spits out to your server.

Then run command java -jar minecraftforge.jar -nogui

Read the EAQ before posting! OR ELSE!

This isn't building better software, its trying to grab a place in the commit list of a highly visible github project.

www.forgeessentials.com

Don't PM me, I don't check this account unless I have to.

I actually just got done setting up a Linux based forge server using Ubuntu. I was running my server out of a virtual machine but that should not make any difference.

Introduction

So you say you are using the Ubuntu Server edition? That is no problem.

First if you have not I would recommend installing openssh-server to allow for remote console and file managment.

sudo apt-get install openssh-server

Second I would recommend you install a few managment tools to ease the managment of the server.

PuTTY (SSH client for Windows)

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

WinSCP (SCP/SFTP client for Windows)

http://winscp.net/eng/download.php

Installing Java

You need to install Java. I am going over all of the step I went through as to avoid any problems. Minecraft (Mojang) recommends using Oracle Java (It says somewhere on their site). Sadly this has to be done manually since the Java binaries don't come distributed with Ubuntu (all versions).

Start by going to:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

You want to download the RPM version of Java, Ubuntu uses DEB packages to install software but Oracle does not distribute a DEB package so we will have to create one from the RPM package.

Now use WinSCP to upload the Java package to the server. By default the directory you are presented with on the remote side is the user's home directory. This is where all do the user's profile data and file are stored. It is also the only place an unprivileged (not root) user is allowed to write to by default.

For the next steps you can either open up putty and connect to the server or just use the console.

Now we need to create a DEB package for Java and install it.

We need to install the required tools**:

sudo apt-get install alien fakeroot 

Alien is the program that will do the conversion for us, fakeroot is a program that does exactly that... it fakes root. Root (or fakeroot) is required for creating DEB packages.

Now we can convert Java (finally). Start by navigating to the home directory of the users if you are not there. Now find the name of the Java RPM package and run alien like so.

fakeroot alien --scripts changeme.rpm

Give it a minute to convert the package for you, when its done you get a file with a name like so;

jre_1.7.0xx.deb

Now install the package using dpkg (the Debian Package Manager).

sudo dpkg -i jre_1.7.0xx.deb

After the installation is done verify that java is installed right.

java -version

Installing Minecraft Forge

First create a directory on your desktop called minecraft which will be the location for installing the server files.

You will need to download a copy of the Minecraft Forge Installer.

Run the installer and select install server and select the location where you want it to download the server and required dependencies.

Now upload the directory to the user's home directory on the server.

Once that has been uploaded you are done and the base server is ready to go.

Start Script

Some people like to make a little script to make starting the minecraft server easier.

Here is a little script I use;

#!/bin/bash
java -Xms512M -Xmx1024M -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+UseNUMA -jar minecraftforge-universal-1.6.2-9.10.1.859.jar nogui

Just copy this and save it to a file (generally ends in .sh) and upload it to the server. You will need to give the script execute permission on the server by running;

chmod +x changeme.sh

Then run the script by typing;

./changeme.sh

or

/home/user/minecraft/changeme.sh

You will need to adjust the amount of memory allocated to the Minecraft server.

-Xms### is the minimum amount of memory that Java will use while running
-Xmx### is the maximum amount of memory that Java will use while running

After the number don't forget either an K(kilobyte), M(megabyte) or G(gigabyte) to specify the amount of memory to take if you don't Java won't understand the option.

Be sure the file names in the script match the version of forge you have.

The rest of the options in the file are for Java garbage collector. I searched around on various blogs and forums to understand the very tip of the iceberg on that subject and found these options work best for my server but this may not be true for you.

Sidenotes

**If you have not, you should refresh your APT cache to ensure you get the latest version of packages.

Update the cache by running:

sudo apt-get update

Hopefully this will help you out, you can PM me if you need any additional help and I will do what I can.

“Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

STAHP using Ubuntu!

for the love of everything holy. Get CentOS, or any other Red Hat based Distro.

That being said...

download the universal of MinecraftForge that you want to run. SFTP it to your Linux Box. (that way you use the ad.fly links) OR use your GUI Browser in linux.

#set up your system
[user@server]$ su -
# enter password 
# Note on Ubuntu systems you may have to set roots password by saying: sudo passwd root
[root@server]# useradd -m minecraft
[root@server]# cp /path/to/universal.jar /home/minecraft/Minecraft-Forge-Universal.jar
[root@server]# chown minecraft:minecraft /home/minecraft/Minecraft-Forge-Universal.jar
[root@server]# exit
[user@server]$ screen -S minecraft
#a screen session opens
[user@server]$ su -
[root@server]# su - minecraft
[minecraft@server]$ java -Xms512M -Xmx4096M -jar "Minecraft-Forge-Universal.jar"
# Press CONTROL + A
# Let go of control and A, and press "d"
# this will detach the screen session allowing the server console to run in a private session.
# if you need access to the terminal, type
# [user@server]$ screen -r minecraft
# and it will open for you to view / input commands
# This is still better to do on CentOS Box's....

I've been running MC servers since Beta 1.7.3.