Minecraft 1.7 - News

LexManos

Alright guys, yes we know that 1.7 is out, but where is Forge..?

Well, If you do not know, Forge is built off the work the people over at Minecraft Coder Pack (MCP) do. They deobfusicate Minecraft from the randomly changing 'so.f' names to the reasonable 'Block.field_1234_f' names which allows us to have a more stable code base for us to work against.

This is also the data that allows us to do the run time deobfusication which allows for mods to potentially work across Minecraft versions {Prime example 1.6.2->1.6.4}.

However, due to the large amounts of changes inside Minecraft at a code/strucutre level this update will take a bit more time.

The Mojang blog likes to boast "more than half a million lines of code changed over 1,104 commits". So you can kind of see where the trouble comes in...

While that is going on, I am working with AbrarSyed {Forge Essentials} on creating a new, more streamlined build process for the end modders that will allow them more control over how things work and fix a lot of the issues that we are having on certian modder's systems with the current python scripts we use. You can check out that progress over at the ForgeGradle github.

Combine that with the fact that quite a few of us in the Modding community are getting ready for Minecon next week and have real life, it'll take a little bit. However I assure you that we are working on it as best we can.

As always you can keep an eye on our progress on our Github. Also, if anyone out there knows there stuff when it comes to gradle, help for AbrarSyed would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to comment here if you would like to help.

As it sits however, 1.7 will be a rather large update for quite a lot of mods. As I said before, Minecraft has changed a lot. Which means Mods themselves will take a while to update. We are trying to get Forge out as soon as we can for mods to start, but don't expect any major mods to be updated until possibly December.

You can however, still play older versions of Minecraft all you want. Many mod packs are still out there ready to be used! So fear not your enjoyment will continue!

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

I must admit, judging from what I've heard I'm quite excited!

I missed you on IRC earlier though, didn't wanna ping you for an answer but if you get a sec:

However, how it sits now, it looks like it will be simple for Forge to take control of the ID configurations for mods who DONT fuck shit up

Before we even begin to think of starting the update, what can us modders do to avoid "fucking shit up"?

And,

which means that we can sync data when you connect to the server

[...]

meaning that server/client id conflicts should be gone! {after we implement it}

I'm assuming that even with this implemented, we're still gonna have that 4k block limit, is that correct? I've had ideas in the past for my mods which I've avoided as I don't want to go mad and overuse IDs, that's the only reason for asking :P

width=463 height=200

http://s13.postimg.org/z9mlly2av/siglogo.png[/img]

My mods (Links coming soon)

Cities | Roads | Remula | SilvaniaMod | MoreStats

What can you do to not screw things up? DONT reference items or blocks by ID, ONLY reference them by object. There are new static functions that are basically Block.getByID(int)/Block.getID(Block), and the Item equivelents, DONT use those functions.

And yes, the 4096 block limit is still in effect, You can only have 4096 blocks loaded at once time.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.

I'm interested in helping with the Gradle work.  I'm fairly knowledgeable about Gradle (and Groovy and Java) but am pretty new to the Minecraft world (and the Minecraft mod scene.)  I have a 10-year-old son who is a knowledgeable Minecraft use who can help teach me some of that stuff.

I don't know how much available time I have, but I'd like to get up to speed on what is going on and I should be able to make at least some contributions.

Abrar has done most of the hard work, we have a functional dev workspace for FML.

And then two more for working WITH Forge/FML {For modders, so it doesn't decompile Minecraft}

After that, it's just cleaning up the code and making it pretty/configurable. :P

This is nothing to do with Minecraft itself, it's just the automation so you don't need to know anything about minecraft specifically.

My main issue is that, I am still learnign the basics of Gradle. Especially it's internal API and how tasks are created/cached/tracked.

Most of the functionality is all done, just needs glue/organization.

I'm trying to figure out where to get started.  The first thing I did was create a Gradle script to download and run Minecraft Server version 1.7.2.  I pushed it to Github, here: https://github.com/msgilligan/minecraft-server-gradle

It works but has some major flaws (always checks the network before running, doesn't build a standalone app that can run without Gradle, etc.) but it's a start.  The next step, I think, is to create a Gradle script that will download Minecraft server (and client jars eventually) and install them in to a local Maven repo.  Then I should be able to use the standard Gradle plugins for building an application.  A later step would be to integrate FML, etc.

Has anyone created a (Gradle) script to install the downloadable (and non-redistributable) Jars into a local Maven repository?  There is a Maven plugin that looks like it does this: https://github.com/mctechnologic/mcforge-maven-plugin/wiki/mcforge:install

Would other people find this useful?  Where is the right place to discuss this work with other devs?

What can you do to not screw things up? DONT reference items or blocks by ID, ONLY reference them by object. There are new static functions that are basically Block.getByID(int)/Block.getID(Block), and the Item equivelents, DONT use those functions.

And yes, the 4096 block limit is still in effect, You can only have 4096 blocks loaded at once time.

In simple terms, how would using these functions effect the integrity of the mod? My mod doesn't add any items/blocks, but I do use the similar functions like ItemStack.itemID to reference items added to the game in my code in order to display correct information about them in a GUI. This is essentially the core functionality of my mod and it would be a shame if I couldn't use these functions.

Follow me on twitter! @keepablock

Read up on whats new! www.catacombs.co

width=700 height=60http://electronic-chronic.com/assets/keep-a-block/wikilink/wikilink_logo.png[/img]

Lex Manos,

Thanks for making this post i have been looking :)

do you have a guessing date when Forge will come out for 1.7?

When it's done.

Also this SHOULD have answerd your questions on eta's:

We are trying to get Forge out as soon as we can for mods to start, but don't expect any major mods to be updated until possibly December.

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

Please add an optional update checker.

I hate having to go to the downloads page whenever there might be an update. :(

Might be useful and cool to have but not completely necessary from what I've seen 90% of the time the first Forge release for new Minecraft versions are pretty stable, mainly mods themselves that need an update checker. :)

I'm personally hoping the 1.7 update isn't as bad as the 1.6 update so there won't be too much to change and I'm also hoping MCP and Forge updates before December otherwise that's a long wait for good 1.7 mods. :(

There are no plans to ever add in any update checking, or any other call-home style functionality to Forge.

Its just not something that I personally agree with, and considering that TONS of mod packs use older versions of Forge, i'd have to write in a  disabling mech and then people will want to use the same code for there mods/server.. it;'s a pain :P

Just check the page once a day, or less. We typically announce any major releases {Recommended builds}. Once we hit the stable releases it's usually non-critical updates.

Anyways, there has been some work twards 1.7 on the MCP end, and we're progressing pretty good on the gradle stuff. Nothing actually useful to the end users/modders yet, but as I said in the original post, most of us are busy getting ready for Minecon WHoo! :P

• Like 1

Anyways, there has been some work twards 1.7 on the MCP end, and we're progressing pretty good on the gradle stuff. Nothing actually useful to the end users/modders yet, but as I said in the original post, most of us are busy getting ready for Minecon WHoo! :P

This is a little off topic so don't mind me if you don't want to answer it here but is Forge doing any kind of event at Minecon this year? even meetups would be pretty cool :P Even though I'm not going due to finding out way too late where it was going to be. >_>

We may be doing something unofficial, so stay tuned to Direwolf/slowpoke/me on twitter and we'll announce if we do anything.

Sadly, time is a bit tight as it's just a two day con and we have other panels/business to attend to but we would love to have a meet and greet.

I do advise anyone there to attend the modding panels! I will at least be attending most of them!

Hi Lex,

Is there any info on the web on the differences between 1.6 and 1.7? Just to get an idea of what I'll be facing ;)

Also, do you know if there are any planned changes to the Forge packet system? Thanks to ProfMoebius I finally know that the occasional Millénaire client crashes are due to trying to send packets larger than the limit, so I'd like to know if there is any point working on a solution in 1.6 or if that code is going to be impacted in 1.7 anyway.

As the mojang blog post said, the major changes: IDs go bye bye, Networking System switched to netty, Sound system overhaul.

So yes when it comes to packets, things will change.

Got a question about forge and the new update. When I got on today my forge and all mods were gone would this be because of the new update or could it be a bug?  :o

*Facepalm*

Read the above post again...

Forge is not out yet, mcp is not out yet, mods won't be ready until sometime in December at the earliest.

There are no plans to ever add in any update checking, or any other call-home style functionality to Forge.

Its just not something that I personally agree with, and considering that TONS of mod packs use older versions of Forge, i'd have to write in a  disabling mech and then people will want to use the same code for there mods/server.. it;'s a pain :P

Just check the page once a day, or less. We typically announce any major releases {Recommended builds}. Once we hit the stable releases it's usually non-critical updates.

So not even any chance for a optional, as in you can choose whether or not to check for updates to change in forge.cfg and the default could be no checking...

It won't ever happen, 'nuff said. I will sanction any more off topic (not related to the 1.7 update) questions.

Read the EAQ before posting! OR ELSE!

This isn't building better software, its trying to grab a place in the commit list of a highly visible github project.

www.forgeessentials.com

Don't PM me, I don't check this account unless I have to.

Oh good thing that I haven't written too much networkcode yet. I heard there were pretty heavy changes to this. Anything confirmed/have I to fear the compability of my mod?

Yes it's being completly re-written to use Netty.

Expect that you will have to redo all of the packet related stuff :)